News Potter issues challenge to Dogs

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter issues challenge to team with NRL’s worst discipline ahead of Belmore return

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter opens up on a heart-to-heart team meeting where he told his players a few home truths, writes Paul Crawley.

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter has opened up about an honesty session he had with the team on Monday, where he challenged the struggling side with the NRL’s worst discipline to play “within the rules”.
It comes as Canterbury prepares for Sunday’s return to the club’s spiritual home at Belmore, that is expected to be a sellout when they take on the Dragons.
But while Potter says he’d love to see the Dogs back playing at Belmore on a more regular basis, he conceded the biggest issue confronting the players was getting their discipline in order — so they at least give themselves a chance to win some games.

Fox Sports Stats shows that the Bulldogs have conceded the equal most infringements of any team this year along with Manly, with a total of 107.

That comes from 74 penalties and 33 set restarts.
To put it in perspective Parramatta has the best record with a total of 65 from 49 penalties and 16 six agains.
But whereas Trent Barrett would often complain about the fact the Dogs copped a hard time from the whistle blowers, Potter’s taking a different approach.
“You’ve got to do those selfless acts,” Potter said, after watching the Dogs finish on the wrong side of an 11-4 penalty count in his first game in charge in the 36-22 loss to Wests Tigers.

Asked if fixing the discipline was the biggest challenge he has to confront, Potter didn’t hide from the obvious: “Well, we are the worst in penalties and six to goes in the comp, so I’d say yes.
“It gives us a chance to do more attack if we are not giving the ball to the other team.
“The discipline is probably paramount to the change we have to make.
“I am not saying that is going to win us the game, but that is going to keep us competitive and going to keep us in the game more often.
“We can’t surrender the ball and give penalties away. It just makes it too hard.”
Asked how he can help change it, he said: “We spoke about that this morning.
“It’s a mentality, isn’t it?
“It is awareness of tackle counts, and how important it is to not go to the nth degree to either slow the ruck down, or make sure the referee knows you are trying to get out.
“Whatever it is, it is real important that we don’t march the other team down the field.”

After such a forgettable season so far Potter is confident the return to Belmore will give the players extra motivation.
Though since 2015 the have a shocking record at Belmore, only winning two of nine games, the last being against the Knights in round 18 of 2017. Before that it was round 16 in 2015 against Melbourne.
Potter wishes the Dogs could make Belmore their permanent playing base: “I think so. I think playing externally is counter-productive.
“And if you look at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night, do you think there would have been a couple of things that wouldn’t have gone the opposition’s way if the crowd wasn’t chanting ridiculous things?
“I am not sure they influence but they certainly build some pressure on the officials.”
He said everyone at the club was looking forward to this weekend’s return.
“I think being at Belmore is a great incentive,” he continued.
“To come back to those community grounds is fantastic.
“I think (the players) should be charged for every game. I am not sure there is an extra charge but I think they are keen to do well and I think they are keen to try and get a result.
“We can’t think about that or worry about that.

“What we need is to do the right thing with the ball and when we haven’t got the ball.
“Stay within the rules.”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Simple and on point focus for the players. The atmosphere at Belmore is the natural motivation so if errors and penalties are kept down then we win the game. Well played Mr Potter.
Something basic and routine that should have been drummed into them before this as routine ...but apparently hasn't.

Get that discipline sorted then pressure and possession is relieved greatly.

KISS tactics the first task to give to these dumbos.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Baz doesn't challenge the players publicly once in one and a half seasons. Potter does it in his first full week on the job. Accountability is everything in sport... Without it, you can't improve. I'm glad Potter is there to tell the players the cold, hard truth after Baz had coddled them and made excuses for them the whole time.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz doesn't challenge the players publicly once in one and a half seasons. Potter does it in his first full week on the job. Accountability is everything in sport... Without it, you can't improve. I'm glad Potter is there to tell the players the cold, hard truth after Baz had coddled them and made excuses for them the whole time.
You hit the nail on the head accountability is paramount which seemed to be missing from our mate Baz.
I really hope Mick is prepared to drop players if their not performing to an acceptable level or just not putting in 100%
We still have plenty of games to make something of the season.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great interview. The best line is that they need to be aware of the tackle count. The 2 biggest offenders there are Jacko and JMK. The amount of 6 agains they give late in the tackle count are criminal.

And whilst he put the majority of blame on the players he still managed a slight dig at the officials over home team decisions

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TBH, I think it is a bit simplistic. Melbourne Storm push the envelope in every tackle, just don't get penalised as much. 6 agains are a joke depending on the ref. Maybe this shapes the narrative publicly better to perhaps get a fairer go from officials

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great interview. The best line is that they need to be aware of the tackle count. The 2 biggest offenders there are Jacko and JMK. The amount of 6 agains they give late in the tackle count are criminal.

And whilst he put the majority of blame on the players he still managed a slight dig at the officials over home team decisions
This is where Jacko needs to show leadership. For a captain of a club. He is one of the laziest Ill disciplined players in the game. I’m not sure if it’s fitness that comes into play. He so often puts us on the back foot.

Setting standards is critical for young players indeed all players. When a high standard is set. The whole club expects that across the board. Likewise when a low standard is set it filters through the club. This unfortunately is what our club has become under Jackson’s leadership.

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that and our poor conditioning is what leads to a lot of penalties.
Exactly. They are so unfit they cant roll off the tackle player quick enough nor get back on side . Fitness is disgraceful for a first grade team.
They concede dumb penalties or six agains and then have to play catch up all the time, which they cant do

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter issues challenge to team with NRL’s worst discipline ahead of Belmore return

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter opens up on a heart-to-heart team meeting where he told his players a few home truths, writes Paul Crawley.

New Bulldogs coach Mick Potter has opened up about an honesty session he had with the team on Monday, where he challenged the struggling side with the NRL’s worst discipline to play “within the rules”.
It comes as Canterbury prepares for Sunday’s return to the club’s spiritual home at Belmore, that is expected to be a sellout when they take on the Dragons.
But while Potter says he’d love to see the Dogs back playing at Belmore on a more regular basis, he conceded the biggest issue confronting the players was getting their discipline in order — so they at least give themselves a chance to win some games.

Fox Sports Stats shows that the Bulldogs have conceded the equal most infringements of any team this year along with Manly, with a total of 107.

That comes from 74 penalties and 33 set restarts.
To put it in perspective Parramatta has the best record with a total of 65 from 49 penalties and 16 six agains.
But whereas Trent Barrett would often complain about the fact the Dogs copped a hard time from the whistle blowers, Potter’s taking a different approach.
“You’ve got to do those selfless acts,” Potter said, after watching the Dogs finish on the wrong side of an 11-4 penalty count in his first game in charge in the 36-22 loss to Wests Tigers.

Asked if fixing the discipline was the biggest challenge he has to confront, Potter didn’t hide from the obvious: “Well, we are the worst in penalties and six to goes in the comp, so I’d say yes.
“It gives us a chance to do more attack if we are not giving the ball to the other team.
“The discipline is probably paramount to the change we have to make.
“I am not saying that is going to win us the game, but that is going to keep us competitive and going to keep us in the game more often.
“We can’t surrender the ball and give penalties away. It just makes it too hard.”
Asked how he can help change it, he said: “We spoke about that this morning.
“It’s a mentality, isn’t it?
“It is awareness of tackle counts, and how important it is to not go to the nth degree to either slow the ruck down, or make sure the referee knows you are trying to get out.
“Whatever it is, it is real important that we don’t march the other team down the field.”

After such a forgettable season so far Potter is confident the return to Belmore will give the players extra motivation.
Though since 2015 the have a shocking record at Belmore, only winning two of nine games, the last being against the Knights in round 18 of 2017. Before that it was round 16 in 2015 against Melbourne.
Potter wishes the Dogs could make Belmore their permanent playing base: “I think so. I think playing externally is counter-productive.
“And if you look at Leichhardt Oval on Friday night, do you think there would have been a couple of things that wouldn’t have gone the opposition’s way if the crowd wasn’t chanting ridiculous things?
“I am not sure they influence but they certainly build some pressure on the officials.”
He said everyone at the club was looking forward to this weekend’s return.
“I think being at Belmore is a great incentive,” he continued.
“To come back to those community grounds is fantastic.
“I think (the players) should be charged for every game. I am not sure there is an extra charge but I think they are keen to do well and I think they are keen to try and get a result.
“We can’t think about that or worry about that.

“What we need is to do the right thing with the ball and when we haven’t got the ball.
“Stay within the rules.”
Won’t get fixed with an “honesty session” major issue with our ill discipline is we simply lack fitness and a low skill set both in attack & defence. The side has a very low football IQ across the park & no genuine leader in the middle.

Last edited:

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

4th tackle JMK spends too long in the tackle and that fkn bell gets rung and the enthusiasm from the rest of the team just drops

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Waddles can be added that list with Jacko and Marshall King.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Something basic and routine that should have been drummed into them before this as routine ...but apparently hasn't.

Get that discipline sorted then pressure and possession is relieved greatly.

KISS tactics the first task to give to these dumbos.
We exhaust ourselves defending for 70% of the game, and it's our own damn fault. If we'd had 50%, or better, possession the Tigers would be last on the ladder today.

I look forward to the day when we see 60%-70% of the ball. It will give us the lift other sides have always had when playing us.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Won’t get fixed with an “honesty session” major issue with our ill discipline is we simply lack fitness and a low skill set both in attack & defence. The side has a very low football IQ across the park & no genuine leader in the middle.
Agreed, unfortunately it will be like dealing with young children and having to remind them constantly. Mr Potter will need to remind them before, during and after every game and then sit in the coaches box shaking his head saying how many f@#king times do I have to tell them haha. On the fitness side of things, I know fitness sessions taper off during the season, but I’d run the ar$e of these guys for the rest of the year, finish the year off fitter than they started and for those players staying on in 2023, it’s at least a better foundation to build on for next year.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
4th tackle JMK spends too long in the tackle and that fkn bell gets rung and the enthusiasm from the rest of the team just drops
The rest of the team should give him a kick up the arse, and every clown who makes all their hard work for nothing. I'm tired of the love bombing when an idiot puts us under more pressure.

In my day we would have rightly copped a verbal assault from the team mates we let down.
Too many precious princesses these days.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed, unfortunately it will be like dealing with young children and having to remind them constantly. Mr Potter will need to remind them before, during and after every game and then sit in the coaches box shaking his head saying how many f@#king times do I have to tell them haha. On the fitness side of things, I know fitness sessions taper off during the season, but I’d run the ar$e of these guys for the rest of the year, finish the year off fitter than they started and for those players staying on in 2023, it’s at least a better foundation to build on for next year.
They will be fitter with more possession and less defending. That was the big factor when the Tigers had 70% of the ball for the entire first half.
With consistent back to back sets on our line it's easier to score as our defence tires, and leaves gaps.