Opinion Potential Burton Competition

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cannot fathom for a minute the panic over this non issue LOL
We have Gus Gould this kid is ours until at least 2027, probably 2032
Don't even have to rush the upgrade in a couple of months or whenever they want to is fine, the puppetmaster will pull the strings and these dumbfuck journo's puds for a while yet..if he wants to.
Yep and the difference with gus to our past turkeys is gus has very good relationships with the player managers

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, what? Do Tigers have yet another Moses?

Is this why they are so shit, god is actually sacrificing the Tigers for the betterment of the league. It all makes now
Sorry mate I meant Brooks, always got him and Moses mixed up

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously don't know the ins and outs of what the clubs plans are towards recruitment and retention, but he'll clearly be our main priority moving forward and I'm fairly confident that we'll be able to keep him a Bulldog for a long time to come
Wouldn't count the Roosters out. Keary is one concussion away from being medically retired.

Also, I think Burton's manager is going to milk it for all he can. Just have look at the NFL interest. Now how did they get to know about Burton?

Nervous times ahead until he signs on the dotted line for us. This will be Gould's biggest challenge to date, otherwise if he doesn't stay shit will hit the fan.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wouldn't count the Roosters out. Keary is one concussion away from being medically retired.

Also, I think Burton's manager is going to milk it for all he can. Just have look at the NFL interest. Now how did they get to know about Burton?

Nervous times ahead until he signs on the dotted line for us. This will be Gould's biggest challenge to date, otherwise if he doesn't stay shit will hit the fan.
True about the rooters but I think we'll be proactive and proverbially move heaven and earth to wrap him up long term. And player managers are always looking to get their clients more coin, it is their job after all.

I'm sure NFL scouts watch nrl games, Burton has made quite the name for himself over the past year due to his mammoth boot, makes sense he's "on the radar"

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton seems a level headed kid... and I am assuming he won't make a decision (unless he re-signs with us) until sometime in 2023 after he sees how we finish this season and how we build into next year with the new recruits, a new coach etc... otherwise, he'd be stupid to commit too early elsewhere

a staggered contract with a significant pay rise for 2024 and then let's say a three year, top money deal for 2025 onwards would make sense... otherwise, maybe significant incentives in his contract

you would also have to think that Burton's sponsorship potential is very high --> well spoken, glamour position, high profile club, in Sydney, already playing rep football, that country appeal etc.

the Dolphins should be looking at Burton though and Wayne Bennett is a great recruiter, the Storm should look at him if they lose Munster, if Keary becomes a concussion problem then I have no doubt the Roosters would be looking at Burton

I don't think Burton goes back to the Panthers who have invested big money into Cleary and Luai and you don't pay $800K+ for a centre... the Eels have Moses and Brown, the Sea Eagles have DCE and Schuster, the Titans have Sexton and Foran, Burton replacing Moylan at the Sharks makes sense but he has already rejected them, the Cowboys have invested in Townsend and Dearden, the Raiders have invested in Fogarty and Wighton, Souths seem invested in Ilias, the Warriors and Knights seem unlikely destinations, the Tigers are a basket case

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keary gets another concussion and the Roosters be all in for Burton if they haven't already signed Munster. Politis will introduce him to his rich mates like he did with Cheese and suddenly Burton will take 200K less per season than what we're even offering him. Only way to prevent this potentially happening is to extend him now. Upgrade for next year included. We should offer 750K for 3 or 4 years but if he's not happy go to 800K. If he's still not happy I'd tell his manager we'll make a play for Munster if Burto doesn't sign by the deadline.