Opinion Post game thoughts

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve been watching the last couple of weeks and although we know it was gonna be a tough season but we don’t do a lot to win games either. Last week against the tigers fought to get the lead and lost it ,and today the first half was great Ogden powerful running the offload and second phase was great exciting to watch . Jmk was great out of dummy half a few good darts then half time comes and then back to the old shit plodding style.
No second phase play offloading
No jmk darting out of half
Back to boring 3 hit ups with a inside ball crap
After hoppa try it was boring back to plodding.
We shouldn’t be last we have lost I believe at least 4 games that we should have won. I like Meaney as a fullback he ain’t a winger uncomfortable under the high ball out on the wing and lacks the size has the speed but.
We have a tough draw to wrap the year up I think the spoon is ours .
Now to the future I’m 100% glad barrett has cut the support staff because it was nesseary the players have regressed badly in the last 2 years.
As for players of contract who do we retain personally I’d resign none of them I’d let them walk
And next season I’d let Dwz and napa go no questions asked and if they resign anyone it would be on offers less then what they getting paid because 90% of them are rubbish
Another thing I’ve noticed for some time is remis smith his attitude is pure shit lazy no effort if I was barrett I’d let him go too
As for Foran the clubs offer of 300 is more then fair I wouldn’t budge on it or 400 for one year more fitting

barrett has a tough job ahead of him and cleaning out the support staff is a step in the right direction. And I hope barrett puts a lot of the current crop on notice upon his arrival cause they need it

another thing I noticed is manlys game play they are becoming us with there boring style and a sidewith theDCE and co is great to see and des is back at it

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ is off contract in 2022 so were stuck with him. There may be a chance we can shaft him off to the Tigers
Remis is apparently being shopped around (probably for the reason you mentioned - his shit attitude)
Yep, even Manly fans on the Manly forum are complaining about the way Manly play - when Des doesnt have attacking guns (Barba or Turbo) he reverts to the old plodder style

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need to recruit Christian Welch who is off contract this year

We must not re-sign Holland, Foran & Tolman who are all off contract this year. I would re-sign Cogger to play cup and as back up

Averillo must be thrown into the six immeaditely. They are just killing his confidence playing him in the centres. It is QUITE FUCKEN OBVIOUS that Avo is a player who consistently needs the fucken ball in his fucken hands. They have thrown him into the centres, to try and improve his defence as centre is the hardest position to defend. It's done the opposite, put him at 6 and fucken leave him there.

If Alex Johnston could be nabbed at around 300k per season, i would bring him in for Remis Smith.

I would go all out for Brandon Smith, Harry Grant is the better hooker, but there is absolutely 0% chance of nabbing him. Go for second best.

Jackson at lock is a no brainer. With Jackson at lock, you piss off Tolman and Napa. We need Welch to partner Ogden up front, and than you have the likes of To'omaga, RFM who come off the bench and provide copious amounts of impact with their sleeky footwork and leg drive.

Our bench and the current use of it is absolutely disgusting

We have obvious problems at 7. Problem is nothing is out there. Do you take a stab at a Lachlan Lam, Cooper Johns? Who the fuck knows! They need a few years (like Wakeham), yet every **** is impatient (Avo an example of only 5 fucken games) and wants instant success

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We must not re-sign Holland, Foran & Tolman who are all off contract this year. I would re-sign Cogger to play cup and as back up

Averillo must be thrown into the six immeaditely. They are just killing his confidence playing him in the centres. It is QUITE FUCKEN OBVIOUS that Avo is a player who consistently needs the fucken ball in his fucken hands. They have thrown him into the centres, to try and improve his defence as centre is the hardest position to defend. It's done the opposite, put him at 6 and fucken leave him there.

If Alex Johnston could be nabbed at around 300k per season, i would bring him in for Remis Smith.

I would go all out for Brandon Smith, Harry Grant is the better hooker, but there is absolutely 0% chance of nabbing him. Go for second best.

Jackson at lock is a no brainer. With Jackson at lock, you piss off Tolman and Napa. We need Welch to partner Ogden up front, and than you have the likes of To'omaga, RFM who come off the bench and provide copious amounts of impact with their sleeky footwork and leg drive.

We have obvious problems at 7. Problem is nothing is out there. Do you take a stab at a Lachlan Lam, Cooper Johns? Who the fuck knows! They need a few years (like Wakeham), yet every c*** is impatient (Avo an example of only 5 fucken games) and wants instant success
Lol you aren’t going to get Johnson for 300k....I think you will need to offer him 500k

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is with avo they need to settle on a possy and let him develop but if it’s in the halfs he needs a experienced player to help him out the poor kids getting chopped and changed.
The bullshit we have a lot of backs is crap cause Montoya, critchon, remis smith, Holland are absolute shit and wouldn’t get a run at any other nrl club
Remis is the most disappointing bad attitude and dwz is a flop on huge money off load him and napa both over paid

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have obvious problems at 7. Problem is nothing is out there. Do you take a stab at a Lachlan Lam, Cooper Johns? Who the fuck knows! They need a few years (like Wakeham), yet every c*** is impatient (Avo an example of only 5 fucken games) and wants instant success
Agree with most of the analysis - especially regarding Avo.
I highly doubt Johnson would be available for 300K.
Burton would be the 7. Even if he is a 6, Baz could turn him into a good 7. We would then have an experienced halves pairing with Avo and Burton but again with Baz as coach I think we could get by

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol you aren’t going to get Johnson for 300k....I think you will need to offer him 500k
I’d pay 500 for Johnson bloke can finish and can play fullback okay too JAC is unproven and not worth signing on FB cash when we have DWZ on huge money

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im totally defeated tbh ,i know the wrong team is getting picked,yes i know we are short of some class players but i still believe some players have not been selected that should and vice versa and whilst a nice guy steve g is clueless,we need to get rid of holland/montoya/lewis/tolman/lafai im over it and looking forward to hearing some of tbaz signings for next year and looking forward to a proper coach.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Ask yourself this. If you were Adrian Lam or Matty Johns, would you let you son play in the halves with us? Not likely!

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree with most of the analysis - especially regarding Avo.
I highly doubt Johnson would be available for 300K.
Burton would be the 7. Even if he is a 6, Baz could turn him into a good 7. We would then have an experienced halves pairing with Avo and Burton but again with Baz as coach I think we could get by
imo in a few years burton will be playing lock.

The kid is only 20 years old, 190cm tall and 90 kegs.

He aint going to get any smaller and will be way too big for a halve

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The thing is with avo they need to settle on a possy and let him develop but if it’s in the halfs he needs a experienced player to help him out the poor kids getting chopped and changed.
The bullshit we have a lot of backs is crap cause Montoya, critchon, remis smith, Holland are absolute shit and wouldn’t get a run at any other nrl club
Remis is the most disappointing bad attitude and dwz is a flop on huge money off load him and napa both over paid
Besides that terrible pass Remus went ok today. Terrible , terrible kicking game cost us the win. Every kick was a non event. We got zero field position.

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ask yourself this. If you were Adrian Lam or Matty Johns, would you let you son play in the halves with us? Not likely!
You have a point, though, if they cant crack first grade week in week out, because there are better players infront of them, than yes they need to look elsewhere for that spot.

Would i send them to Canterbury? I actually would as Barrett is a former NSW and Australian halve.

Would i send them to Canterbury under Pay or SG? Fuck no

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You have a point, though, if they cant crack first grade week in week out, because there are better players infront of them, than yes they need to look elsewhere for that spot.

Would i send them to Canterbury? I actually would as Barrett is a former NSW and Australian halve.

Would i send them to Canterbury under Pay or SG? Fuck no
I wouldn't with Barrett either, not unless he got some quality big boppers to come here too.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
imo in a few years burton will be playing lock.

The kid is only 20 years old, 190cm tall and 90 kegs.

He aint going to get any smaller and will be way too big for a halve
Wow, didn't realize he was that big. I just did a quick google search on Wighton and it turns out he is the same height and weight so maybe he could fill that role, even if it's just for a few years, as we desperately need a gun 7. I'm sick of watching this pathetic attack week in week out

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
While are backs are mostly all spuds, today was lost because our halves did not control the game or kick well (Foran is a myth) and our forwards were out muscled, defensively we are very weak

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dwz lacks confidence, fix that and he'll be fine. He's chalk and cheese to last year and it's not a ability thing, it's gotta be a confidence thing.

Find a way to get his confidence back and he will become an asset again, but 8n saying that, if he's on as much as they say, I'd be happy to shop him around mid contact.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any one else disappointed with Hoppas positional play when line breaks are made. There was one try scored from about 40 out where he wasn’t within camera shot to make a tackle. Not bagging the bloke as he is one of our most consistent players. But I question what he was actually doing whenever a line break was made.

Averillo can’t play centre again. His defensive reads are terrible. Reminds of Barba playing at 6.

Liked Jackson at lock.

Ogden is a best.

Foran is not our answer - he goes missing week in week out when we need to be steered home .