Rumour Possible new home

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, but the last time we regularly played at Belmore was 1998. I've watched countless games there over the years and have great memories but the fact is the facilities are not up to scratch today, so beyond grandstands they'd have to improve a number of facilities. I agree about the upside for the league club/parking, but the question is whether the club (football and leagues) can fund it themselves and I'd say that's unlikely, so what funding could they attract to build a next-gen Belmore fortress for the Dogs? As I said, I'd love it to happen, I just can't see a feasible path right now however.
Stadium naming rights,a couple of sponsors with fairly deep pockets,and a possible Laundy involvement,and obvious benefits to the parties involved,but overall the long term benefits to the club.like a lot of people out there,I’d love it to happen,but we can only hope.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why should the "West" Tigers , Penrith, Manly/Cronulla/StMerge have priority of a home ground grant above the Bulldogs? Fuck the Tiepies, they play at Campbelltown so why not give the pricks a grant to develop Campbelltown stadium and let us share Concord with the rugby flops as our home ground. When the Tigers want to play closer to Balmain they can play at Bankwwest.
Love your passion,but concord new capacity I believe will only be around 10k,so hardly worth the exercise.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes but Belmore sits in tightly held Labor seats - why would a Liberal Govt. bother when they can't buy the votes nor a Labor Govt. bother when they won't lose those seats. Parking at Belmore is generally terrible - so they'd have to solve that. It's fine if you catch the train but that doesn't work for all. I also think you'd have to have dual tenants. I'm not a fan of a Liverpool solution personally but it would likely capture the Dogs and Tigers and maybe has some appeal for the NRL. Belmore is the same as why even with the Concord Oval redevelopment NRL games won't be played there, it will only be the Tigers home base and shared with the Pirates Rugby. After all the money spent on Bankwest I just can't see another ~20k stadium being built relatively not far away - so that's why Brookvale, Kogarah, Penrith etc have likely been flagged - further spread out. I'd love our own place, but just can't see it being at Belmore for a number of reasons.
Lebs, arabs, collective mindset.
If they made a delightful decision then the whole community flips on labor in one hit.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Stadium naming rights,a couple of sponsors with fairly deep pockets,and a possible Laundy involvement,and obvious benefits to the parties involved,but overall the long term benefits to the club.like a lot of people out there,I’d love it to happen,but we can only hope.
Sorry I just don't see how that's realistic.
Have a look at AAMI Stadium. It's government owned (as is ANZ, Bankwest and the new SFS).
They have/will have naming rights deals that their tenants don't influence - their owners do.
AAMI is multi tenant (Storm, Rebels, City, Victory).
So even a successful, one team town (Storm) can't pull off what you're suggesting.
The Chooks with back-to-back premierships and a very wealthy and connected Chairman don't have it.

The best thing the Dogs can focus on is build a highly competitive team with winning results in the coming years. With on field results everything changes - more members sign up, more sponsors are attracted, more gate takings from matches with bigger crowds, more merch is sold etc. When the lease with ANZ is up and assuming the club is performing strongly - then we might be in a better position to determine our future home - but I still doubt that will be Belmore.

Last edited:

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a look at AAMI Stadium. It's government owned (as is ANZ, Bankwest and the new SFS).
They have/will have naming rights deals that their tenants don't influence - their owners do.
AAMI has multiple tenants (Storm, Rebels, City and Victory).
So even a successful, one team town (Storm) can't pull off what you're suggesting.
The Chooks with back-to-back premierships and a very wealthy and connected Chairman don't have it.

The best thing the Bulldogs can focus on is building a highly competitive squad and bring winning results over the next 5 years. With on field results everything changes - more members sign up, more sponsors are attracted, more gate takings from matches with bigger crowds, more merch is sold etc. When the lease with ANZ is up and assuming the club is performing strongly - then we might be in a better position to determine our future home - but I still doubt that will be Belmore.
We will agree to disagree,like u say success on the footy field,is first priority,we see what comes with that..

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
AAMI has multiple tenants (Storm, Rebels, City and Victory).

The best thing the Bulldogs can focus on is building a highly competitive squad and bring winning results over the next 5 years. With on field results everything changes - more members sign up, more sponsors are attracted, more gate takings from matches with bigger crowds, more merch is sold etc. When the lease with ANZ is up and assuming the club is performing strongly - then we might be in a better position to determine our future home - but I still doubt that will be Belmore.
To be honest I just can’t see a BankWest type stadium being built amongst the Canterbury/ Bankstown suburbs.
Not saying that it’s totally impossible to flatten BSG and start all over again but think very unlikely.
Do you know how long the ANZ deal is still in place for.
I personally think that our on field performances and governance need time to grow again.
A priority not to be taken lightly if we want to be champions again soon.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest I just can’t see a BankWest type stadium being built amongst the Canterbury/ Bankstown suburbs.
Not saying that it’s totally impossible to flatten BSG and start all over again but think very unlikely.
Do you know how long the ANZ deal is still in place for.
I personally think that our on field performances and governance need time to grow again.
A priority not to be taken lightly if we want to be champions again soon.
Agree mate.
I think ANZ is probably at least another 5 years from the information I’ve been able to get - I can’t say categorically - I just know it was an agreement for many years and we’ve already been there for at least 15 years (remember the Showground was prior after leaving Belmore). I also agree the priority should be governance and on-field performance.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We keep the land, the gov build the stadium and at base of stadium they build shops. We get rent from shops say next 20 years. Gov get all income from stadium for 20 years less 10% for rent. Then the gov return full ownership of stadium refreshed to dogs free of cost. That way gov get money back develop jobs and receive taxable income on top twenty years of income.
we receive full develop site. No increase in scope builds as worn by gov. Purpose built stadium fully returned and future cash cow
Makes a lot of sense as B.O.O.T. schemes with 20-30 year leases are pretty common.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That deal with ANZ would have its days numbered if it hasn’t already been re-negotiated after ANZ changed hands to the government.
Surely we can renege after the govt reneged on it's ANZ redevelopment/rebuild commitment.

Irrespective of Covid always suspected they would do this with ANZ. Stuart Eyres is slimy and was in bed with the SCG Trust and when he lost out initially with the proposed ANZ rebuild, he hatched this plan to do both stadiums and fast track the SFS rebuild first. Suprise suprise there's now no money left for ANZ which was always on the cards. Would be interesting if ICAC took a look into this whole episode.

I prefer Moore Park as a location but you spend your money on your biggest and best stadium first, which was ANZ, and see what's left over after.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although it was a bit distant to watch I didn’t mind going to the showground at Homebush. What ever happened to that? Surely that can be modified better for league. What’s it even being used for now days.
GWS in AFL

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely we can renege after the govt reneged on it's ANZ redevelopment/rebuild commitment.

Irrespective of Covid always suspected they would do this with ANZ. Stuart Eyres is slimy and was in bed with the SCG Trust and when he lost out initially with the proposed ANZ rebuild, he hatched this plan to do both stadiums and fast track the SFS rebuild first. Suprise suprise there's now no money left for ANZ which was always on the cards. Would be interesting if ICAC took a look into this whole episode.

I prefer Moore Park as a location but you spend your money on your biggest and best stadium first, which was ANZ, and see what's left over after.
Yeah you’re spot on as soon Allianz got pushed to the top of the queue ANZ was always in danger of never happening. Plus all the ridiculous luxuries that got added into the Allianz rebuild make it even more dodgy.

I love games at Allianz the location is great before and after games but I’m probably in the minority on that one.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why have we never considered concord oval!?
I used to go and watch as a kid the dogs play there.
We did in the 90s and it was crap at the time. No easy transport links etc and what was at the the time the ugliest grandstand ever seen. They moved on.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah you’re spot on as soon Allianz got pushed to the top of the queue ANZ was always in danger of never happening. Plus all the ridiculous luxuries that got added into the Allianz rebuild make it even more dodgy.

I love games at Allianz the location is great before and after games but I’m probably in the minority on that one.
I agree 100% better location etc.

They should have decided to leave ANZ as is and bulid something in Moore Park that holds 80,000 + people. No point spending all this money on something that won't be used as the venue for a World Cup final because it holds 30,000 less people than Homebush.

That also keeps all the AFL people happy and gives the Wanderers an 80,000 seat venue for a grand final.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree 100% better location etc.

They should have decided to leave ANZ as is and bulid something in Moore Park that holds 80,000 + people. No point spending all this money on something that won't be used as the venue for a World Cup final because it holds 30,000 less people than Homebush.
Yeah none of the planning around the stadiums makes much sense at. An 80k world class rectangular stadium that could also have a club mode for 40k should have been the first priority.

Tony Shepard is the head of the SCG trust and is now head of the board that looks after stadiums and he just happens to be GWS Giants chairman so its little wonder that ANZ stayed like it is so it can still host AFL.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just gets murkier.

I know they cleared the old SFS and were sourcing new quotes from potential stadium builders. Do you know if they could still ditch the current design and come up with a new 80k stadium, or are they 100% locked into the 50k capacity design. I would be prepared to forgive and forget if they did this.

I suspect they wouldn't if they're doing the suburban ground thing. I'm sure some will disagree but personally, unless you're doing 30k-35k capacity suburban grounds, then I think it's shortsighted and a waste of money.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Allianz is great, particularly with the light rail now, very easy access.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just gets murkier.

I know they cleared the old SFS and were sourcing new quotes from potential stadium builders. Do you know if they could still ditch the current design and come up with a new 80k stadium, or are they 100% locked into the 50k capacity design?

I would be prepared to forgive and forget if they did this. I suspect they wouldn't if they're doing the duburban ground thing. I'm sure some will disagree but personally, unless you're doing 30k capacity suburban grounds then I think it's shortsighted and a waste of money.
I think it's way too late now they have actually started construction out of the ground at Moore Park.

You're spot on about the 30k and they should be all seater stadiums not grand stands tacked onto aging grounds. They had a big chance to make a lasting legacy and have Sydney set for the next 30 years but you chances are they will be revisiting it in 10 years time trying to still get it right.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's way too late now they have actually started construction out of the ground at Moore Park.

You're spot on about the 30k and they should be all seater stadiums not grand stands tacked onto aging grounds. They had a big chance to make a lasting legacy and have Sydney set for the next 30 years but you chances are they will be revisiting it in 10 years time trying to still get it right.
Damn, that sucks if we're locked in. Agree it will come up all over again in no time.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We did in the 90s and it was crap at the time. No easy transport links etc and what was at the the time the ugliest grandstand ever seen. They moved on.
I remember going to a game against the Sharks at Concord in 1988 before we went on to the GF. It was average then! Had to walk down from Burwood Station. Hard to believe they held the final of the first Rugby World Cup there in 1987! It’s currently a dust bowl as they rebuild it, but even the new one won’t be NRL suitable I don’t think - only 10-15k capacity.

Last edited: