Opinion Positives?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Thought Avo and Wakeham offered more variety than Floppagan. Our attack looked better, especially liked how when nothing was on, they took a hit up rather than a dump off to a forward. Ok - more experience and we close this but given it was the first time Avo had taken the reins and Wakehams first game back in the top league for yonks - it wasn't as if they were a disaster. They'll be better for the run together.

Hoppa has been a debacle but thought he was offensively better. Yes, could have had a few tries if he offloaded but I'd rather he took a tackle than chance a 50/50 ball after making a break. Have to remember he's been at FB for years and has only just shifted back to the centres with a new half inside and a new winger outside him. I'm willing to give him a 'lets see how this goes' over the next few weeks.

Backs, could see Cotric wanted this one and busted a nut. Meaney is a solid FB'er but is he a 1st grader, no idea. DWZ tries hard but I don't want our FB chiming in out wide, he needs to be making runs off the forwards through the middle.

Forwards are ok but still getting pushed around a bit by the bigger guys. Katoa#9 was an improvement on recent weeks (off a low base). Deitz is ok but isn't really a game changer.

Walked into that game thinking Wighton would carve us up - hardly saw him all night.

Otherwise, other than some average execution down the stretch from some close to rookie halves, Hodgson getting a dodgy 6er holding Avo down and Adam Elliott being alive - we would have won this by a doz.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest positive is next week is Rd 11 which means we can pick development players. Huge test for Baz

Avo is actually improving every game and is firming to partner Burton in the halves next year. I wasn't really impressed with Wakeham

Thompson is proving to be class. Atoni is good but we need help in the engine room

At least we showed some fight and didn't wave the white flag but there's not too many positives to come out of that game sadly

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I said in another thread Jake and Wakeham actually resembled something of a halves combination unlike when we play with Flanagan and it looks like two individuals playing...I'll cop the mistakes from them if they learn and improve but not the simple, dumb shit we saw from Hoppa, Elliott, etc. Those two are almost sabotaging the team...Hoppa with his refusal to pass to Cotric and Elliott being a fucking moron. Plenty of other dumb mistakes from others across the game.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We really need to recruit two big aggressive props. This will allow Thompson to play lock or edge
where he performs better.
Meaney had a decent game yesterday as well.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Positives are that we're one game closer to the end of this fucked season.
Yep I agree with this!

I find myself more surprised with Meaney every game, the only bloke I think to have improved within our system. I would actually keep him.

Avo is definitely not a half, not sure where he get's this from. Whether it's the paypacket he wants in the future or what but the kid is way too timid. For me I suspect he would be a revelation at FB. Kind of like an Inglis style player.

We're in deep trouble overall.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
TBAZ recruiting well and getting he players he wants and has already, a coach that was willing to take the hardest job of the 16 clubs and try an make it his own an clean it up .!!

he knew it was shit when he took the job, hence why he was so emotional after that 1 win. He probably realised he may not even get a win.. but he has a plan, and should be allowed to give it a go and show us what he’s capable of. If not he’s out an he knows this. He’s not that bloody silly ..he knew this could also be a career killer , but he took it on. And that is very respectable.!!

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Positives??...mmm

Again we only played for 60 minutes and for once we were in a very very good position to win. Lack of experience in the halves and hooker let this one slip away as they couldn't make the right plays at the right time to get us home. Elliot's lack of discipline also cost us big time.

I thought our attack looked the best it has all year. Far far far from perfect but we spread the ball alot better. We created chances on Hoppas side but between DWZ and Hoppa we fluffed a couple of really good opportunities

If DWZ had a passing game he could of engaged the defence more when he chimed in rather than just pass to Hoppa too soon without engaging any defenders. Then Hoppas inability to setup Cotric a couple of times hurt us. Hoppa did make that clean break but I put that down to a bad one on one miss by Kris

Our halves looked better but are definitely not the answer long term. The team did function better without Flanno calling the shots

Hopefully one positive that comes out of this season is that Avo gets more games under his belt and is a better player next year. I think his defence has improved dramatically and hopefully with his experience in the halves this year he could possibly transition next year into a ball playing fullback with pace. If not, I'm sure he could turn into a dangerous centre

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I said in another thread Jake and Wakeham actually resembled something of a halves combination unlike when we play with Flanagan and it looks like two individuals playing...I'll cop the mistakes from them if they learn and improve but not the simple, dumb shit we saw from Hoppa, Elliott, etc. Those two are almost sabotaging the team...Hoppa with his refusal to pass to Cotric and Elliott being a fucking moron. Plenty of other dumb mistakes from others across the game.
Spot on regarding the halves

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TBAZ recruiting well and getting he players he wants and has already,
See Scoooby, that’s the bit that troubles me. Everyone is talking up his recruitment but let’s look at the scoreboard.

Waddell; Trents pet and had only 1 solid game for us so far.
Cotric; recruited as a centre and on centre money and playing ok.. on the wing

Allen: recruited to be our fullback because DWZ is not the answer. Lasted 3 games and has been centre and wing.

Hetherington; Personally I am a fan but is undisciplined and if playing yesterday would have been sin binned, sent off, and on report all at once with probs another 8 weeks on the sideline..

Elliot; was instrumental in his re-signing and his efforts speak for themselves.

Yes he has Burton coming who wants a team to own and a fat paycheque. The Fox is also coming as he wants to be in Sydney and also a fat pay cheque.

Sadly the first 5 guys I mentioned would all benefit from good man management and coaching, but don’t appear to be getting it.

Add all this to the poor bench rotation and the lack of balls to stick and pick with players and I see a problem more with the coach than the players.

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Only losing by 2. The halves performed better than any other combinations this year. No perfect but asked more questions from opposition defence. Made more cleans breaks than most games, but could not finish them. If we had iced them, would have gone much closer to winning.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
See Scoooby, that’s the bit that troubles me. Everyone is talking up his recruitment but let’s look at the scoreboard.

Waddell; Trents pet and had only 1 solid game for us so far.
Cotric; recruited as a centre and on centre money and playing ok.. on the wing

Allen: recruited to be our fullback because DWZ is not the answer. Lasted 3 games and has been centre and wing.

Hetherington; Personally I am a fan but is undisciplined and if playing yesterday would have been sin binned, sent off, and on report all at once with probs another 8 weeks on the sideline..

Elliot; was instrumental in his re-signing and his efforts speak for themselves.

Yes he has Burton coming who wants a team to own and a fat paycheque. The Fox is also coming as he wants to be in Sydney and also a fat pay cheque.

Sadly the first 5 guys I mentioned would all benefit from good man management and coaching, but don’t appear to be getting it.

Add all this to the poor bench rotation and the lack of balls to stick and pick with players and I see a problem more with the coach than the players.
Cotric wasn't barrett though.

But fuck yeh he needs to answer for waddell and elliot.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought Cotric was announced before Barrett? Unless there were talks behind closed doors held with Barrett beforehand
Yeah shortly before Barrett but I was under the impression that apart from the $640k we used it was also the secret that Barrett was coming. Either way he has not blossomed under Barrett.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wakeham was poor in defence, he’ll cost us in the long run but plays to the line, meany needs to learn how to pass, we still don’t use our wingers much in attack. But it was a better performance, at the end of the day experience in big moments of game day is where we lost it, we just fell apart for that 10 mins