Positives and negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you did
I've watched the game again and I stand by my comments on both threads for the money he's on he needs to improve I'm not saying he won't but he didn't have the impact last night that he should have

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've watched the game again and I stand by my comments on both threads for the money he's on he needs to improve I'm not saying he won't but he didn't have the impact last night that he should have
I reckon he will go well this year. If I was Pay my Top Number 1 Priority would be to get our backs to practice running off him, his biggest strength IMO is he can basically offload at will. Our players are not used to this after years of cautious Desball. We need to get this happening pronto otherwise without support players Woods will naturally hold off doing this.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under Hasler in the last 2 years, we only let in more than 30 points 4 times.
Also last night, The Storm made the most errors in a game in 3 years and we still only scored 2 tries from set plays.
Anyways, hopefully it is upwards going forward.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon he will go well this year. If I was Pay my Top Number 1 Priority would be to get our backs to practice running off him, his biggest strength IMO is he can basically offload at will. Our players are not used to this after years of cautious Desball. We need to get this happening pronto otherwise without support players Woods will naturally hold off doing this.
I agree on all counts I just want to see him tuck the ball and come off the back fence occasionally he didn't do that last night don't get me wrong his offloads are important but so is dominating the ruck that said we are in way better shape than we have been for fucking years and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree on all counts I just want to see him tuck the ball and come off the back fence occasionally he didn't do that last night don't get me wrong his offloads are important but so is dominating the ruck that said we are in way better shape than we have been for fucking years and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season
Woods isn't that sort of player and you need to accept that. He more often than not backs into the defence and stands in tackles and either gets an offload away or gets a good play the ball with the markers out of play. That's what he does and will continue to do.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Woods isn't that sort of player and you need to accept that. He more often than not backs into the defence and stands in tackles and either gets an offload away or gets a good play the ball with the markers out of play. That's what he does and will continue to do.
That's bullshit a starting prop needs to be able to bring the mongrel and you need to accept that

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's bullshit a starting prop needs to be able to bring the mongrel and you need to accept that
He's the Australian starting prop and got there by playing this way, he's far better than you give him credit for.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under Hasler in the last 2 years, we only let in more than 30 points 4 times.
Also last night, The Storm made the most errors in a game in 3 years and we still only scored 2 tries from set plays.
Anyways, hopefully it is upwards going forward.
Is that you Des?!!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He's the Australian starting prop and got there by playing this way, he's far better than you give him credit for.
Like I said not on last nights performance imo he needs to bring more aggression l hope he lifts his intensity for the dogs

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not really, it's better to get second phase play or a quick play the ball then an extra 1-5 meters.
Besides, we have Klemmer for that role
Klem didn't bring that when he was on last night I'm not saying woods needs to change his whole style of play the offloads are awesome but he is the leader in our pack and bar RFM our pack was flat last night woods could have been the difference but he didn't adapt

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Like I said not on last nights performance imo he needs to bring more aggression l hope he lifts his intensity for the dogs
His performance was good last night and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, i seriously don't know how you can find fault in it. His style is unique but it works for him and as a result he is effective. That's all that matters.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
His performance was good last night and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, i seriously don't know how you can find fault in it. His style is unique but it works for him and as a result he is effective. That's all that matters.
We are going around in circles,I respect your opinion but mine differs a little all that aside we are in really good shape this year and I think we will be far more successful than we have been in the last few years

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I wasn't being harsh was I? Maybe it came out wrong but what I mean is we could have won that game if it was round 5. Like you were saying we could have scored more tries, 5 to be exact. Mbye blew 2 tries, Montoya 1, Frawley 1 and Fualalo's was tough but he could have grabbed one. That's a potential 30 points on top of 18 which could have put us over 40 on Melb which is quiet a feet.

Not a bad effort at all and I think it is easily fixed with a bit of match time and experience.

As for Frawley yeah I will admit he didn't go bad at all and hard to pick a fault besides a few mistakes but is he a premiership winning half next to Foran? Cant say yes which is why I want Coggar asap.

And the bench well how about this, Jacko to lock, Elliot to the right edge and Fualalo to come on with Tualau?
There's no quick fix for the bench I don't think and given we've only played one game I'm not in panic mode yet. You would have to think though that Tualau has to come into the calculations at the very least and maybe one other but I don't think we need to dump players wholesale on the back of one loss. We need to build confidence and combinations not just bounce blokes around. What happens if Foran has a shocker next week? Do we punt him? No, of course not so lets give the bench a chance to redeem itself, but if they don't improve then all bets are off.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly right, he was screaming at everyone all night, telling them where to be, he led the team well. Watching the game at the ground, everyone of his passes were crisp and straight on the chest, something we haven’t had for years. When u look at the other muppet, both times after we scored in the first half he gave the ball straight back to the storm by dropping the ball cold. No wonder our reserves improved out of sight last year once he started playing first grade
You must've been on the drink at the ground if you didn't notice that the second "drop" was actually a non-start. The refs called it back long before he got to the ball and he was just throwing it back to the halfway. Yes he dropped one cold but so has every other footballer in the history of the game and 3 blokes kicked out on the full at the ground last night and it was due to the conditions and the lack of definition of the sideline.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Positives - When Mbye learns to catch, draw and pass at pace our right edge will put in 3 tries a game.

When Frawley looks up and realises his got a 3 on 1 on his out side our right side will score 2 tries a game

When that starts happening we are bound to go through the middle once

We are a 30+ point team... 30+ point teams can win comps.

Negatives - We lack match fitness and looked lethargic at times which was existent in defence

We really need to swap Tolman for Coggar and get him NRL level asap
Defence is key however. Though the Jackson miss tackle I would say was due to the previous head knock, and the second Munster break was abysmal defence my Eastwood.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Defence is key however. Though the Jackson miss tackle I would say was due to the previous head knock, and the second Munster break was abysmal defence my Eastwood.
No question of that. He was standing in front of me even 5 minutes after that hit and he was swaying around. They should have hooked him straight away. Would've saved us 12 points.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No question of that. He was standing in front of me even 5 minutes after that hit and he was swaying around. They should have hooked him straight away. Would've saved us 12 points.
The staff will learn from it though. Jackson should have just gone of.

Status
Not open for further replies.