Positives and negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Positives-

Mybe will offer us X factor and looked great.

Foran looked sharp- played both sides of field.

We managed to get early ball to the Morris brothers who looked dangerous for the first time years.

Woods looks like he will be an asset.

Much improved start to the game- slow starts an issue last year.

Attack looked sharper particularly in their red zone.

Goal line defence was good for the most part.

Negatives-

Right side defence continued to struggle - maybe the issue wasn’t Brenko ? Time will tell I guess.

We are lacking an impact prop on the bench. We need to maybe put Fualalo on bench so that we at least have some punch on the field at all times. We struggled for go forward when he Woods and Klemmer were all off together. Need to find away to keep one of these 3 on at all times.

Still lacking some pace particularly on the right hand side.

Kicking game - was rocks and diamonds tonight.

Summary

All in all some encouraging signs and I feel we will be an exciting footy team to watch this year and should be competitive.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would like to see Foran run more direct and to the line. You can tell he's still holding back a little in fear of injury. It's costing us in the end as the opposition can see it and he almost becomes too predictable.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah agree Foran is still a bit ginger. But he straightened our attack and was able to create more space out wide.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
the biggest negative for me out of all the positives was we still have a lot of fattys and we looked unfit in comparison to storm outfit.

Eastwood has to go , I don't care if he is taking half of our cap. we need to get some one from the juniors to replace him.

the bloke cant run, cant defend, cant go forward, he is simple dead wood.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Again the team just made too many errors tonight to have a chance to win that game.
Defense was terrible.
Attack was much more positive.

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again the team just made too many errors tonight to have a chance to win that game.
Defense was terrible.
Attack was much more positive.
I agree made too many errors. we lost coz of our errors not coz we were outplayed which is I take as a positive.

Right side defence still weak.

barring the STUPID errors i enjoyed watching us play tonight first time I've said that in years.

alot of positives to take out of that game

MosDef

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
First game of the season with a new side against a team that's been together for several years. Our attack looked good, we were just missing the final ball on a few set plays which will come with experience. Defensively we got let down by individual mistakes which will eventually clean up with more fitness.

Keep your head up, it's going to be a good season. No shame in losing to a Melbourne side in round 1 with a new side.

All in all the scoreline didn't reflect the game, and we will get it together eventually.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For someone who didn’t play any trials and obviously lacked match fitness, he did ok. Being able to offload at will is an asset in itself. If we had more players running off him he would of looked like a genius. Just telling it how it is.
How it is in your opinion which I don't share,RFM didn't play a trial either and he was outstanding.Just telling it how it is

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Positives-

Mybe will offer us X factor and looked great.

Foran looked sharp- played both sides of field.

We managed to get early ball to the Morris brothers who looked dangerous for the first time years.

Woods looks like he will be an asset.

Much improved start to the game- slow starts an issue last year.

Attack looked sharper particularly in their red zone.

Goal line defence was good for the most part.

Negatives-

Right side defence continued to struggle - maybe the issue wasn’t Brenko ? Time will tell I guess.

We are lacking an impact prop on the bench. We need to maybe put Fualalo on bench so that we at least have some punch on the field at all times. We struggled for go forward when he Woods and Klemmer were all off together. Need to find away to keep one of these 3 on at all times.

Still lacking some pace particularly on the right hand side.

Kicking game - was rocks and diamonds tonight.

Summary

All in all some encouraging signs and I feel we will be an exciting footy team to watch this year and should be competitive.
I was at the game and I agree with the bulk of your assessment here. I disagree with you right side view. Hoppa was one of the fastest blokes on the field tonight. He has really sharpened up and has put on some size to go with it. It may have not come out on TV but at the ground it was noticeable. Where we do lack in comparison with the Storm is the pure pace that JAC and SV have against MM and BM. BM can hold his own but MM is nowhere near the other three. Our defensive lapses were more about players being in new and/or unfamiliar positions than in a lack of ability and in each case it was a speed man that gave us the blow by.

I agree our intensity off the bench was poor, JMK excepted. He tackled like a terrier when he came on and did a reasonable job at DH. The other three though were poor. No escaping it, our drive just evaporated when the first stringers were off. The sad thing though is that the guys in the reggies with the possible exception of Tualau are not really showing anything exciting.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Positives - When Mbye learns to catch, draw and pass at pace our right edge will put in 3 tries a game.

When Frawley looks up and realises his got a 3 on 1 on his out side our right side will score 2 tries a game

When that starts happening we are bound to go through the middle once

We are a 30+ point team... 30+ point teams can win comps.

Negatives - We lack match fitness and looked lethargic at times which was existent in defence

We really need to swap Tolman for Coggar and get him NRL level asap

MosDef

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
First game of the season with a new side against a team that's been together for several years. Our attack looked good, we were just missing the final ball on a few set plays which will come with experience. Defensively we got let down by individual mistakes which will eventually clean up with more fitness.

Keep your head up, it's going to be a good season. No shame in losing to a Melbourne side in round 1 with a new side.

All in all the scoreline didn't reflect the game, and we will get it together eventually.
Sorry fellas didn't see the other thread with positive and negative. Feel free to move this into that one or delete.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Positives - When Mbye learns to catch, draw and pass at pace our right edge will put in 3 tries a game.

When Frawley looks up and realises his got a 3 on 1 on his out side our right side will score 2 tries a game

When that starts happening we are bound to go through the middle once

We are a 30+ point team... 30+ point teams can win comps.

Negatives - We lack match fitness and looked lethargic at times which was existent in defence

We really need to swap Tolman for Coggar and get him NRL level asap
Don't be too hard on them. The wind was swirling at the ground and every kicker put one over the sideline on the full in both games and always the same side. Take that away from Frawley and really it was only the dropped ball from the kickoff that was poor. The rest of his game was OK tonight and he did score a try to make up for his blunder. I haven't seen our backs on either side of the field play that slick in a long time. Foran was outstanding and even Frawley did OK at getting the ball to the outside. We could easily have scored another 3 or 4 tries tonight.

Whilst swapping Tolman for Cogger would be attractive it won't solve our lack of power up front with the benchies when they come on. That is what cost us tonight and our reggies showed again today that they are a level below our top 17.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't be too hard on them. The wind was swirling at the ground and every kicker put one over the sideline on the full in both games and always the same side. Take that away from Frawley and really it was only the dropped ball from the kickoff that was poor. The rest of his game was OK tonight and he did score a try to make up for his blunder. I haven't seen our backs on either side of the field play that slick in a long time. Foran was outstanding and even Frawley did OK at getting the ball to the outside. We could easily have scored another 3 or 4 tries tonight.

Whilst swapping Tolman for Cogger would be attractive it won't solve our lack of power up front with the benchies when they come on. That is what cost us tonight and our reggies showed again today that they are a level below our top 17.
I wasn't being harsh was I? Maybe it came out wrong but what I mean is we could have won that game if it was round 5. Like you were saying we could have scored more tries, 5 to be exact. Mbye blew 2 tries, Montoya 1, Frawley 1 and Fualalo's was tough but he could have grabbed one. That's a potential 30 points on top of 18 which could have put us over 40 on Melb which is quiet a feet.

Not a bad effort at all and I think it is easily fixed with a bit of match time and experience.

As for Frawley yeah I will admit he didn't go bad at all and hard to pick a fault besides a few mistakes but is he a premiership winning half next to Foran? Cant say yes which is why I want Coggar asap.

And the bench well how about this, Jacko to lock, Elliot to the right edge and Fualalo to come on with Tualau?

Status
Not open for further replies.