Official Position Breakdown: Fullback

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meany will probably do his apprenticeship on the wing. Unless the coaches want him to develop his fullback game in nsw cup.

But if you get POTY in U20 and NSW cup then I guess you deserve a spot in first grade. Stick him on the wing with smith. I guess holland gets one spot with Crichton? Hopefully we have a better centre option then Holland though.
Holland is a machine in attack. Just needs to work on his defence

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your opinion of Holland is outdated imo. He improved a lot in attack and defence this year and is a decent player who will get better. If he keeps trending the way he has he will be pretty good in 2019
He is one of the better attacking centres. Phill Gould absolutely loves him. I recall his comment on him last year in a game being something like “Geez he’s a good player”

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney for fullback. Hoppy does not cut it for me. Statistics can be misleading. Look where they led Des.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney for fullback. Hoppy does not cut it for me. Statistics can be misleading. Look where they led Des.
Hoppa has patches of great form but is generally a good fill in player at the back. At times he goes missing in attack. Meany always looked present in support in the couple of games I saw him play
. And he attacks the high ball pretty confidently. He may need some bulk to make his defense quality though. Given that next year is the first stage of our re-build I'd give him plenty of time to establish himself as long as he shows some form. But either decision the club makes, I think we are going to see some improvement in attack.

We've seen numerous players given too many chances in recent history. So its time for the club to make selections based on current form rather than sticking with certain players who have just been good in patches, so I prefer that we give Meany a shot early on and play Hoppa in the centres. Giving both Smith and Lewis a chance late in the season paid off. So a less cautious approach could be the key to success for us next year.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meaney will be given first crack at FB and will be there until he gets injured or suspended.

Hoppa is safe but is way to slow with no mobility whatsoever to play in the centres. Hoppa's best position in the current squad is on the wing

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meaney needs to earn his spot. Hoppa was killing it towards the end of the season... and that offload stat is something to take note of.

We don’t really have quality players in the backline for him to be earning his spot.

Throw him in and let’s not waste time

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Holland’s defence still worries me. Got burnt on the outside so many times last year

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney, for me.
He was brought in to play FB, so let’s see what he’s got.
I don’t see the point in playing it safe, when we’re likely to have a rough season, anyway.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As someone said Holland’s defence is pathetic. Not a good combo

Holland is shit

the right side defence of he and Smith was much better than the Hoppa/Montoya combo, better attack also. Holland had improved this season from his previous appearances in the top grade and no doubt Deano and the crew will be working with him on his D during pre-season; the birth of his child will be additional motivation also... don't be quick to write him off.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney, for me.
He was brought in to play FB, so let’s see what he’s got.
I don’t see the point in playing it safe, when we’re likely to have a rough season, anyway.
I also can't imagine Hoppa being our long term option... even if Meaney didn't crack it.. but personally I think this kid has got it, and will at some point be our long term number 1

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meaney needs to work out at fullback ASAP.

We need Hoppa at centre

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently Pay has told him he'll been told he'll be playing in the centres.

I don't see it as a bad thing as Crichton is a reasonable defender, and it was 50/50 Hoppa/Montoya causing defensive woes on that side.

Strange thing is that without Montoya being injured, Smith may never have come into first grade.
More like Hoppa 5% / Montoya 95%. Do you remember the game when Olive & Montoya played on the same side.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not even sure why this is open for discussion.....
We got matt mundine boys......hehe

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Apparently Pay has told him he'll been told he'll be playing in the centres.

I don't see it as a bad thing as Crichton is a reasonable defender, and it was 50/50 Hoppa/Montoya causing defensive woes on that side.

Strange thing is that without Montoya being injured, Smith may never have come into first grade.
He might be playing centre but that doesn't mean he's playing there at NRL level. He doesn't even suit the centre positon at all. He only worked on the wing previously because he was exceptional in the air, reliable defensively, and a decent finisher. All of that turned to shit last season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
More like Hoppa 5% / Montoya 95%. Do you remember the game when Olive & Montoya played on the same side.
Yh and Olive got banished to reserves despite him previously playing much better at centre next to Morris. Idk why we never tried shifting Josh to right centre with Olive at left...then again i'm also wondering why it took so long for Holland to also get a run and instead having him on the bench playing fucking hooker.