Official Position Breakdown: Fullback

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2018/11/27/2019-position-breakdown---fullback/

2019 Position Breakdown - Fullback
Over the course of the pre-season bulldogs.com.au will analyse each position in the Bulldogs top 30 squad, along with the options Dean Pay has in 2019.

This week we take a look at the fullback position.

Will Hopoate:

Following the departure of Moses Mbye midway through the season, Hopoate took charge of the fullback position and had an outstanding finish to the year which was highlighted by his 10 offloads in round 18 against the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

This incredible stat was the most offloads in a single game by a player in 2018 and is the equal most by a player in a single game in the last five years.

The 26-year old finished the year with 84 tackle breaks, 42 offloads, 7 try assists, 6 line-breaks, 5 tries and an average of 161.2m per game.

One of the more experienced players on the roster, Hopoate is ever reliable and safe as a house at the back.

Nick Meaney:

Meaney, a talented fullback from the Newcastle Knights, arrived at Belmore and agreed to terms with the Bulldogs for the next three seasons.

The 20 year-old, who was a Ballina junior, represented the NSW U20's Origin in 2017, as well as being selected in the NSW Residents squad in the same season in the fullback position.

He was also the Knights Player-of-the-Year in the NYC and NSW Cup over the past two seasons.

A star in the lower grades, Meaney made his NRL debut in round 18 of the 2018 season against the Parramatta Eels and finished the year with five appearances.

He also crossed the try-line twice, came up with 16 tackle breaks, 2 try assists and is a handy goal-kicker as well.

Safe under the high ball with great leg speed, Meaney will provide variety to the Bulldogs attack.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney has potential... might as well throw him in whilst we are rebuilding and put Hoppa on the wing

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meaney is our best option if we’re to make any progress in our rebuild. We won’t be competing for a title next year so there is no point in playing the safe option in Hoppa. We need to be blooding as many youngsters as possible next year and shouldn’t be wasting time delaying this rebuild.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney is our best option if we’re to make any progress in our rebuild. We won’t be competing for a title next year so there is no point in playing the safe option in Hoppa. We need to be blooding as many youngsters as possible next year and shouldn’t be wasting time delaying this rebuild.
I agree. Hoppa May be slightly better who knows. But we need to look to the future and unearthing real dynamite by Holland or Meaney developing at the back. Hoppa will be just as good at centre three quarter.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meany will probably do his apprenticeship on the wing. Unless the coaches want him to develop his fullback game in nsw cup.

But if you get POTY in U20 and NSW cup then I guess you deserve a spot in first grade. Stick him on the wing with smith. I guess holland gets one spot with Crichton? Hopefully we have a better centre option then Holland though.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meany will probably do his apprenticeship on the wing. Unless the coaches want him to develop his fullback game in nsw cup.

But if you get POTY in U20 and NSW cup then I guess you deserve a spot in first grade. Stick him on the wing with smith. I guess holland gets one spot with Crichton? Hopefully we have a better centre option then Holland though.
CHN

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Holland is literally our most creative player and outplayed Hoppa at centre.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Holland was playing well in patches last season. Had a really nice offload which sent Smith away a few times.

I think 2019s starting backline will be:
1. Hoppa
2. Smith
3. Montoya (already been told by Pay he'll be playing centre next season).
4. Holland
5. Crichton

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Meaney needs to earn his spot. Hoppa was killing it towards the end of the season... and that offload stat is something to take note of.
He can offload from the wing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Holland was playing well in patches last season. Had a really nice offload which sent Smith away a few times.

1. Hoppa
2. Smith
4. Holland
5. Crichton
Montoya isn't starting at centre for us, no fucking way.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1. Hoppa
2. Smith
4. Holland
5. Crichton
Montoya and Holland are the gAme’s 2 biggest turnstyles. I can see a lot bad decisions made in defence. I miss Jmoz already.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Rotate hop and meaney between fb and wing/center to change it up a bit and avoid either player getting gassed

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

Your opinion of Holland is outdated imo. He improved a lot in attack and defence this year and is a decent player who will get better. If he keeps trending the way he has he will be pretty good in 2019

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Montoya isn't starting at centre for us, no fucking way.
Apparently Pay has told him he'll been told he'll be playing in the centres.

I don't see it as a bad thing as Crichton is a reasonable defender, and it was 50/50 Hoppa/Montoya causing defensive woes on that side.

Strange thing is that without Montoya being injured, Smith may never have come into first grade.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. Hoppa May be slightly better who knows. But we need to look to the future and unearthing real dynamite by Holland or Meaney developing at the back. Hoppa will be just as good at centre three quarter.
Why say centre three quarter? Why not just say centre. Do you think the three quarter bit makes you sound smart?