Port Adelaide Banana throwing incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually thought Port Adelaide and their fans handled this pretty well.

Life ban seems about right for me. I don't think counselling would do much for someone with this attitude (I think "counselling" is mentioned way too aften for cases of people just being an arsehole)...

Thoughts?

Port Adelaide fan who threw banana at Eddie Betts banned ‘indefinitely’
AUGUST 22, 20168:52AM
A PORT Adelaide member who threw a banana at Adelaide Crows star Eddie Betts in a racially charged attack has been “indefinitely” banned from Power games.

The woman was filmed hurling the banana at Betts in the dying seconds of the Crows’ Showdown win after the mercurial forward’s fifth goal in his 250th game.

Following an investigation on Sunday, the Port Adelaide Football Club said it was “clear that the offender’s behaviour was racially motivated” and slapped her with the indefinite ban from games.

The woman’s actions, which included allegations that she called Betts a “monkey”, have been universally condemned.

Fellow players, the clubs, the Stadium Management Authority and Premier Jay Weatherill all denounced the attack.

Betts didn’t join his teammates for a recovery session at Henley Beach on Sunday morning and declined to comment on the matter.

Port Adelaide has offered to speak with the woman and invited her to take part in the club’s Aboriginal cultural awareness programs.

“After talking to witnesses it is clear that the offender’s behaviour was racially motivated and is therefore a significant breach of the club’s values and spectator code of conduct,” the club said in a statement late Sunday.

“Port Adelaide will meet with the offender in the coming days to offer her an opportunity to take part in the club’s industry leading Aboriginal cultural awareness programs.

Eddie Betts celebrates — near Port fans — with teammates after he kicked a goal during the Showdown. Pic: Morne de Klerk/Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

The woman who threw the banana at Eddie Betts at Showdown 41. Photo: FacebookSource:Facebook

“As part of this program Port Adelaide’s Aboriginal programs manager Paul Vandenbergh and the club’s seven Aboriginal players would educate her on cultural issues that continue to have an impact on the Aboriginal community today and the hurt which actions such as hers cause others.”

The woman was in hiding on Sunday and also pulled down her social media profiles.

Earlier, Port Adelaide president David Koch had threatened a lifetime ban if the incident was found to be a case of racial abuse.

“We will revoke her membership,” he said. “It’s against the law No. 1 and against our code of conduct.”

In the video footage of the incident, fellow forward Josh Jenkins is seen to intercept the projectile and later confirmed it was a banana.

Throwing bananas at black players has been notorious as a racist attack in European and English football since the 1970s and ’80s.

Port Adelaide fans took to social media in disgust at their fellow fan’s behaviour.

A post on The Alberton Crowd Facebook page said: “To the idiot who thought it would be a great idea to throw a banana at Eddie Betts, well done. You’ve now tainted all Port fans with the same brush and we will hear about how feral we are all week.”

A post from a Port fan near the incident alleged that the woman called Betts a monkey and also accused her of bad behaviour at previous games.

“This happened in the row in front of me. I am proud to say that I yelled at her and told her she took it too far,” one man posted.

“She responded by saying, but he’s a monkey. I yelled back, no, ur just a racist.

“All year we’ve had to put up with her foul mouth ... in front of our kids.”

The moment the banana is thrown.Source:Supplied

A screengrab of the video, which shows the women hurl the banana after Eddie Betts kicked a goal.Source:Supplied

Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority chief executive officer Andrew Daniels branded the incident “appalling and totally unacceptable”.

“The Adelaide Oval takes these matters very seriously. Racial vilification is totally unacceptable,” Mr Daniels said.

“Whether or not it is racially motivated, the hurling of objects is absolutely banned at the Adelaide Oval.”

Mr Andrews said stadium authorities would enforce a ban, if that penalty was imposed on the spectator by Port Adelaide and the AFL. Any total ban from Oval events, if requested, would be discussed with Cricket Australia.

Eddie Betts gestures reacts to Port fans after kicking his fifth goal during Showdown 41. Pic: AAP ONLYSource:AAP

He said CCTV footage would be made available to police if necessary.

An SA Police spokeswoman said no complaints had been received about the incident and it was being handled, at this stage, by the clubs and AFL.

Adelaide Crows chief executive Andrew Fagan and captain Taylor ‘Tex’ Walker took to Twitter to vent their outrage.

Fagan called the incident “abhorrent” and “disgusting”, saying: “Expect strongest possible action to be taken against those throwing objects at our players.”

While Walker tweeted: “Absolutely disgusting! Shouldn’t ever be allowed back into enjoy the football. Very disappointing.”

The AFL also issued a statement on Sunday, condemning the incident.

“The AFL abhors anti-social behaviour and has informed the club it will provide whatever assistance is required for the club to deal with the matter,” it said.

“The AFL wishes to repeat for the record that such behaviour in any form will not be tolerated and the game must be a welcoming environment for all players and supporters.”

Premier Jay Weatherill, a Port supporter who was at Saturday night’s Showdown, declared throwing a banana at Betts appeared to be a particularly nasty form of racist comment.

Brad Crouch and Taylor Walker run towards Eddie Betts after he kicked the last goal. Picture: Sarah ReedSource:News Corp Australia

“I was at the game last night and I think I can speak for the vast majority of Port fans when I say we were all shaking our heads in disbelief at Eddie Betts’ skills and flair,” Mr Weatherill said.

“He won the game single handed — he is a rolled gold champion.

“As for the idiot who thought throwing a banana was funny, it wasn’t. It appears this was just a particularly nasty form of racist comment.

“I am pleased the club has taken strong and immediate action.”

- with Andrew Hough

Follow
Tex Walker

✔@texwalker13

Absolutely disgusting! Shouldn't ever be allowed back into enjoy the football. Very disappointing. https://twitter.com/vivostiling/status/766987044467806208 …

12:45 AM - 21 Aug 2016

Follow
Josh Jenkins

✔@JoshJenkins24

Passion is what's greatest about the @AFL - but allowing passion to become frustration & throwing things is awful & sets a horrific example

12:21 PM - 21 Aug 2016

Follow
JayWeatherill

✔@JayWeatherill

As for the idiot who thought throwing a banana was funny, it wasn't. It appears this was just a particularly nasty form of racist comment.

12:55 PM - 21 Aug 2016

Follow
David Koch

✔@kochie_online

On advice of @pafc Aboriginal leaders decided indefinite ban & opportunity to undertake cultural awareness programhttps://twitter.com/willtedtill/status/767275479531257856 …

6:48 PM - 21 Aug 2016

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Why do people act dumb ,that if she didn't think she will get caught.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why do people act dumb ,that if she didn't think she will get caught.
Possibly safety in numbers? Dutch courage? There were 50,000 people there after all. I doubt much was going through this moron's mind.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Her father (allegedly) called a radio shoe this morning to defend her.

I think my parents would generally back me up in nearly all situations, but a line has to be drawn at some point. If it really was him calling to defend her, it only means he condones the behaviour. If he was a member, i'd be banning him too.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score

I think my parents would generally back me up in nearly all situations, but a line has to be drawn at some point. If it really was him calling to defend her, it only means he condones the behaviour. If he was a member, i'd be banning him too.
What an ediot I get your trying to protect your daughter but calling a radio station to defend her is just stupidity .

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Parents defend their kids even when they are convicted of rape or murder so its surprising of the father.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I remember people being upset that goodes publicly outed that girl for calling him an ape or something

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
how terrible would it be if you were about to eat a banana at a game but someone bumps you and it flies onto the field near a black player and he thinks you are mocking him ffs
I twas actually a pretty good shot... and his teammate pulled off an awesome deflection.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
how terrible would it be if you were about to eat a banana at a game but someone bumps you and it flies onto the field near a black player and he thinks you are mocking him ffs
Would look even worse if you ordered a Choc top Banana

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Might sound harsh .. but honestly.... these AFL princesses need to harden up and grow a thick skin.

So a mean girl threw a banana at you and called you a monkey. Boo bloody hoo.. I'm sure it hurt so much that the player instantly retired to the sheds and shivered in a ball in a cold shower.

Seriously... just ignore "those" supporters and get on with playing your game. You have already acheived more than some bogan slag is ever going to acheive, so why not just ignore her and not even grant her a second in the media.

This sort of thing only serves to encourages other morons to stir up the player in future (either on the field or in public), knowing a reaction will be granted.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Might sound harsh .. but honestly.... these AFL princesses need to harden up and grow a thick skin.

So a mean girl threw a banana at you and called you a monkey. Boo bloody hoo.. I'm sure it hurt so much that the player instantly retired to the sheds and shivered in a ball in a cold shower.

Seriously... just ignore "those" supporters and get on with playing your game. You have already acheived more than some bogan slag is ever going to acheive, so why not just ignore her and not even grant her a second in the media.

This sort of thing only serves to encourages other morons to stir up the player in future (either on the field or in public), knowing a reaction will be granted.
If I were him, I'd keep playing and blow the ranga **** a kiss every time I scored. It would make her blood boil lol

A

Alexander the Great

She looks the kind of girl to shit or piss herself after a few bags of goon.
Dundas valley kind if girl

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If he was white, it would just be considered encouragement to eat healthy.

First they told fans to stop boo'ing Goodes, now they don't want the fans feeding the players.. What next? No more jerking off on the people sitting in front of you.. AFL are killing the game for fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.