SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anyone use this instead of Netflix?

What's the verdict?

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Never heard of it, just did a bit of research, and seems a bit sketchy (legally wise) IMO, as such, not too sure, and won't comment on here re it... But I am likely to give it a go :P

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I torrent instead of Netflix.

Can't beat that bluray rip quality

Last edited by a moderator:

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I do both and since NetFlix, my torrenting is almost NIL now, ... Love Netflix

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I love popcorn

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I use Netflix and Hulu.

I also have 6 months trial to Presto but I'm not a big fan of it. No HD.

If anyone wants a 6 month trial to Presto just SMS the word PRESTO to 0498 500 400 (Telstra promotion) and they send you a 6 month trial code.

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use both popcorn and Netflix but
Popcorn time is awesome I recommend it

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of it before. It's a bit of a legal minefield. It's basically a torrent service and acts under the same legal restrictions of torrent services which means if you get caught using it with the new laws coming into effect, movie companies can request your details from your ISP and send you breach notices and fines.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Popcorn Time is kinda shit these days, not to mention a legal mindfield (but most of that sort of software is).

Most people are using SickBeard or Sonarr with NZBDrone as an alternative these days. If you want a nice interface for it, KODi works well.

But it (Sonarr & Sickbeard) are massive pains in the arse to get it all setup and finely tuned. I found them really hit and miss, and unless you have Usenet accounts (which it can leverage off), they never stay up to date.

KODi is really pretty, and is designed as a simple front end for an HTPC. Again VERY touchy (likes to have folders and files in a very specific format before it will catalogue them). Once you get it working though it's quite good.

That said I now just use our NAS and have a list of the shows I'm watching.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Kodi works perfectly with Genesis! The tv channel add ons are alright too, get a lot of live channels from around the globe when I get sick of streaming specific shows.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
My mate just gave me his Netflix password and set up an account for me. Mad ****.

Feel as though I've seen everything on here haha.

What's good?

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone used Merdb website - it streams movies and tv shows apparently. Looked at it yesterday but haven't used it yet.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Does anyone use the U.S. Version of Netflix? How do you do that?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Does anyone use the U.S. Version of Netflix? How do you do that?
I got the US netflix, hardly use it anymore though. I had some pre paid accounts so ill check tomorrow if i got any left and pass them on if you want? The US version is heaps better than the Aus and pretty easy to setup. If you have trouble setting it up you can just signup to getflix and they will look after you and offer a step by step tutorial.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The US Netflix bypass is apparently getting shut down. Not entirely sure how, but the strong rumour is that Netflix will be barring any account / IP address that does not resolve to a home based ISP in the USA. That will effectively kill most US VPN providers and work arounds.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Popcorn Time is kinda shit these days, not to mention a legal mindfield (but most of that sort of software is).

Most people are using SickBeard or Sonarr with NZBDrone as an alternative these days. If you want a nice interface for it, KODi works well.

But it (Sonarr & Sickbeard) are massive pains in the arse to get it all setup and finely tuned. I found them really hit and miss, and unless you have Usenet accounts (which it can leverage off), they never stay up to date.

KODi is really pretty, and is designed as a simple front end for an HTPC. Again VERY touchy (likes to have folders and files in a very specific format before it will catalogue them). Once you get it working though it's quite good.

That said I now just use our NAS and have a list of the shows I'm watching.
I use sabnzb as my download client and have an account with Usenet server based in Netherlands. I'm on adsl 2+ and download nzbs at around 2.4mbps

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The US Netflix bypass is apparently getting shut down. Not entirely sure how, but the strong rumour is that Netflix will be barring any account / IP address that does not resolve to a home based ISP in the USA. That will effectively kill most US VPN providers and work arounds.
Hulu started doing this by blocking accounts that they know are using geoblockers. I also received a message from apple that my US account has been locked because they don't believe I live in the US. I use the US account for Apple TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.