Ponga’s contract revelations leave question marks over long-term Knights future

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kalyn Ponga looks on after Newcastle’s finals exit

Kalyn Ponga can speak to rival clubs from November 1 next year after details of new extension were published on the NRL’s website.
Every year clubs must lodge their top 30 squads with the NRL including the length of each deal.

It must also include options for extensions which can be in the favour of the club, the player or requiring both parties to agree.

That’s the complication with Ponga’s deal. While he re-signed with the Knights until 2024, Ponga has options in his favour for 2023 and 2024.

That means that come 12 months he has the potential to field offers from rival clubs, should he wish to not take those options up.

At the time of re-signing with the Knights, Ponga said: “I feel at home here It’s no secret I want to win a comp in Newcastle, I want to hold the trophy up here.
“It’s very exciting and a very proud moment for myself and my family.

“We’re building towards something and I can definitely feel it. It’s something that I want to be a part of and I’m excited to be a part of.”

However, despite playing for the Junior Kangaroos and Queensland at State of Origin, Ponga has often been linked to making a code switch to the All Blacks.

That could become a possibility if he opts to explore other opportunities in 12 months time.
Earlier this year, former All Black John Kirwan urged him to make the switch in enough time to make the New Zealand squad for the 2023 World Cup.

“I don’t think he could do it in one year,” Kirwan, who was part of the Warriors’ inaugural ARL season, said.

“It would be high risk on his part. He could take that risk if he wants, but this All Blacks team has some guys who are pretty big competitors and like to succeed. I think he needs two years.

“He’s got nothing to lose. A two-year contract and if it doesn’t work out he can go back to league.”

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
If he wants to play a wc, he can wait a year then join Australia and take the same free shot.

i dobt get these guys who just want to pidgeon onto an already successful team and hope to stand at the finish line and feel satisfied.

with the aussie backlinem his presence would mean he actually WOULD make a difference and he will be fiscally better off.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
If he wants to play a wc, he can wait a year then join Australia and take the same free shot.

i dobt get these guys who just want to pidgeon onto an already successful team and hope to stand at the finish line and feel satisfied.

with the aussie backlinem his presence would mean he actually WOULD make a difference and he will be fiscally better off.
The fucks going on @Nasheed i just liked TWO of your comments in seperate posts ?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
And as someone that always likes the underdawg, not much grinds me harder than this recent trend of star athletes making the 'courageous' decision to piggyback on successful (sometimes unfairly advantaged) teams and claim glory like you did something amazing.

Hayne joining the fiji sevens team lol
almost all new roosters recruits
everyone wit this all black dream

what happened to thid mindset of helping a team build?being respobsible for their rise and glory? ten times better and usually the financially sound choice to boot.

Why join the bullies and not the underdog?

Lifetip:
one iof the best thangs you can say at a job interview is you like to stick it in there, and when timed are wrong or things arent in place you stick in to fix it, not just leave, its part of your moral fabric blah blah'. Actuially works a charm