Poll: Will the bulldogs make a big signing in the next 12 months?

Will the Bulldogs make a big signing in the next 12 months?

• Yes

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 63 59.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So you are now alluding to mitchell having a problem with alcohol, cocaine , gambling and violence against women?
Please tell me what the risks are other than $$ which on potential ..I believe deserves?
I’m not alluding to any of that, appears you’re trying to escalate something unnecessarily.

I’m saying that just like Barba, he would be considered ‘marquee’ (lovely word in a team sport) and we’ve seen him struggle with that pressure and lose focus at key times, getting dropped from Origin proves it.

We don’t currently have a team the quality of the Chooks (particularly halves) that assists him to deliver his best - and without that who says he can deliver his best. He may not be able to fire without that other key talent and I never wanted to spend a million bucks to find out the hard way.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So What about kalyn ponga and Tom turbo ....same applies to them?

Because we haven't got the halves like Pearce and dce we don't sign them...

Sounds like we are never ever buying any marquees based on this theory
I’m not alluding to any of that, appears you’re trying to escalate something unnecessarily.

I’m saying that just like Barba, he would be considered ‘marquee’ (lovely word in a team sport) and we’ve seen him struggle with that pressure and lose focus at key times, getting dropped from Origin proves it.

We don’t currently have a team the quality of the Chooks (particularly halves) that assists him to deliver his best - and without that who says he can deliver his best. He may not be able to fire without that other key talent and I never wanted to spend a million bucks to find out the hard way.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So What about kalyn ponga and Tom turbo ....same applies to them?

Because we haven't got the halves like Pearce and dce we don't sign them...

Sounds like we are never ever buying any marquees based on this theory
Never say never - I just don’t think the time is right and certainly not at the suggested price.

And yes, I think Ponga is overpaid.
Newcastle for all their recruitment still didn’t make the 8.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I guarantee you the club will be making 3 major signings

1. AlzBulldog as head or recruitment

2. Bradyk as head of accounting, finances and salary cap distributions

3. Bradtalo as media executive
LMAO

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe if you look at it from a different perspective? The club are on the verge of having the Roosters lose a player and the Tigers, a team with cap room blow it on a kid that is well overpriced. Now the tigers and Manly are gone cap wise due the dogs offer to the Trboz, soon enough there will be no competitors in the market, driving down prices..
Its a brilliant move.

Our focus should still be the core and strengthening the right culture around the club... 2020 and 21 should be those years and when we are loaded and the market is good, I believe should be the best time to place the jewels in the crown.

In saying that we will be buying a forward to replace Tolman unless someone steps up...
My question is "where is the money"?

Look at our back 5 as it stands now:-
DWZ $500k
Smith $350k
Harper/Holland/Montoya $105k to $200k
Hopoate $500k
Meaney $300k

That would be the lowest paid back 5 in the competition by a country mile!

Then with the "Mitchell signing with the dogs speculation" I read the club only has $400k under the cap for 2020?

Yet just a few weeks ago the club was looking to sign Ramien, Api & Ese Ese for 2020.

The there has been so many lies by the club about the club's salary cap position it is impossible for us members & fans to know what is even close to the truth.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a marquee player doesn't work out!
Has anyone worked with an overpayed colleague who you carry with your honest wage?
Try it sometime!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe if you look at it from a different perspective? The club are on the verge of having the Roosters lose a player and the Tigers, a team with cap room blow it on a kid that is well overpriced. Now the tigers and Manly are gone cap wise due the dogs offer to the Trboz, soon enough there will be no competitors in the market, driving down prices..
Its a brilliant move.

Our focus should still be the core and strengthening the right culture around the club... 2020 and 21 should be those years and when we are loaded and the market is good, I believe should be the best time to place the jewels in the crown.

In saying that we will be buying a forward to replace Tolman unless someone steps up...
I've just been reading media report that Tigers have 1.4m and looking at LM. But....they have 4 million for 2021.

That is just one club. Lots have money for 2021 as well as us.

We are all competing for the same talent.

Maybe going for LM now is the best bet for us.

There's problems or worries with every player's name that is thrown up really eg Turbo's injury worries.

I'm beginning to think the club's thinking has become stale and bogged down with no vision to make the big plays...#concerned.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

DWZ $500k
Smith $350k
Hopoate $500k
Meaney $300k

Then with the "Mitchell signing with the dogs speculation" I read the club only has $400k under the cap for 2020?

Yet just a few weeks ago the club was looking to sign Ramien, Api & Ese Ese for 2020.

The there has been so many lies by the club about the club's salary cap position it is impossible for us members & fans to know what is even close to the truth.
At what point has the club ‘lied’ about anything?

They are not required and would be stupid to publicly declare our cap position in a competitive marketplace.

As for your guesses on player salaries above - that’s all they are - guesses (no I don’t know either and won’t speculate before you ask).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
When a marquee player doesn't work out!
Has anyone worked with an overpayed colleague who you carry with your honest wage?
Try it sometime!
Precisely.
Another potential T-Rex?
No thanks.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Based on what sorry?

Look at the competition.. honestly... there are only two teams who you can say for certain will feature in the next few grand finals.. we might be coming out of a low period but we are finals football club

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

DWZ $500k
Smith $350k
Hopoate $500k
Meaney $300k

All speculation that doesn't really mean anything in the end.... Thing is even if we had money, who is there to buy?? Most of the blokes going around atm aren't good fits for the club and surely the club is holding its cards close to its chest in regards to recruitment.

The Signings of CHN, DWZ, Napa and Stimpson give us a good outlook on how the club is doing business... Would say these guys were on all signed quickly and quietly so wouldn't be surprised if the next few signings come out quiet randomly rather than being dragged through the papers.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've just been reading media report that Tigers have 1.4m and looking at LM. But....they have 4 million for 2021.

That is just one club. Lots have money for 2021 as well as us.

We are all competing for the same talent.

Maybe going for LM now is the best bet for us.

There's problems or worries with every player's name that is thrown up really eg Turbo's injury worries.

I'm beginning to think the club's thinking has become stale and bogged down with no vision to make the big plays...#concerned.
Had a quick squiz at the list they have that make up the 4 mil. More than half the squad is off contract at the same time and mostly minimum wages... The good ones wil be looking for generous upgrades like Aloiai, Twal, Momirovski and Garner too. Tigers are screwed whether they sign LM or not.

Wouldn't mind Twal actually... Could be handy buy.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
All speculation that doesn't really mean anything in the end.... Thing is even if we had money, who is there to buy?? Most of the blokes going around atm aren't good fits for the club and surely the club is holding its cards close to its chest in regards to recruitment.

The Signings of CHN, DWZ, Napa and Stimpson give us a good outlook on how the club is doing business... Would say these guys were on all signed quickly and quietly so wouldn't be surprised if the next few signings come out quiet randomly rather than being dragged through the papers.
Hello...Mitchell.
Yes $1m is a lot of money but the club is spending fuck all on the back 5.
Name another club even close that spends so little on the back 5?
Oh and by the way if anything those figues for Smith & Meaney could be high.

The back 5 is were a teams points come from, you did notice the team has had problem scoring points for the last three seasons right?

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

DWZ $500k
Smith $350k
Hopoate $500k
Meaney $300k

Where were these figures published? Were they from the club, James Pooper Scooper Hooper or another journo (if other, who)?

I only ask as I haven’t seen them published so comprehensively anywhere...

If they’ve come out of a journo’s arse, that might be a hint as to their accuracy....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Had a quick squiz at the list they have that make up the 4 mil. More than half the squad is off contract at the same time and mostly minimum wages... The good ones wil be looking for generous upgrades like Aloiai, Twal, Momirovski and Garner too. Tigers are screwed whether they sign LM or not.

Wouldn't mind Twal actually... Could be handy buy.
And there's 14 other teams as well as them who will be cashed up with their own treasure chest...if they dont want to re-sign majority of their roster like us.

Will be a case of musical chairs and we need to be on top of the heap.

If some player managers are off us (who are they?) how can we be movers and shakers.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
At what point has the club ‘lied’ about anything?

They are not required and would be stupid to publicly declare our cap position in a competitive marketplace.

As for your guesses on player salaries above - that’s all they are - guesses (no I don’t know either and won’t speculate before you ask).
Yes hello...accurate guesses, if anything Meaney & Smith could be high.

Oh please the club has fed nothing but lies to idiot rugby league "journalist" (that's a fucking joke calling them journalists) about the "salary cap crisis".

I mean look at our squad for christ sake and tell me how we can have salary cap issues?

But back to my main point, we are under spending on the back 5 and the team has a problem as a result that it can't score points. A guy like Mitchell comes up who scored 19 tries last season, leading point scorer, can make heaps of line breaks & kick the ball 60 plus meters and we pass.

Please enlightenment me on the strategy on how we are going to get some strike power into our backline.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes hello...accurate guesses, if anything Meaney & Smith could be high.

Oh please the club has feed nothing but lies to idiot rugby league "journalist" (that's a fucking joke calling them journalists) about the "salary cap crisis".

I mean look at our squad for christ sake and tell me how we can have salary cap issues?

But back to my main point, we are under spending on the back 5 and the team has a problem as a result that it can't score points. A guy like Mitchell comes up who scored 19 tries last season, leading point scorer, can make heaps of line breaks & kick the ball 60 plus meters and we pass.

Please enlightenment me on the strategy on how we are going to get some strike power into our backline.
We have multiple players on back ended deals (and on contracts that're higher then their value due to misjudging the salary cap) and we're still paying players to play at other clubs. Next year is the last year of it. We're basically a 7m team in a 9m salary cap.

The current/previous strategy is simple. Buying opportunist signings or reject players that no other club wants or can fit in because that's where the value is (but for some reason we paid overs for Napa - panic signing if you ask me). We're not going to be getting any players on peoples "top talent list" tho without paying overs. It will be a slow rebuild with this strategy and I don't see us being competitive for and in 2021. We'll have to wait and see tho.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Where were these figures published? Were they from the club, James Pooper Scooper Hooper or another journo (if other, who)?

I only ask as I haven’t seen them published so comprehensively anywhere...

If they’ve come out of a journo’s arse, that might be a hint as to their accuracy....
No they are my estimates.
Why do you think they are wildly off the mark?
If anything Meaney & Smith are probably high.

Look my very clear and completely accurate point is the club is massively under investing in the back 5.
With speculation West Tigers are going to sign Mitchell on $1.1m to $1.3m, they already have Mybe on $950k those two players would be earning more than our entire back 5.

Yes we have some solid guys there in our backs but that's about it. No big strike power or game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.