1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

POLL on if Dogs should have made an official offer to Mitchell

Discussion in 'Bulldogs Discussion' started by bradtalo, Nov 11, 2019.

?

Should the Dogs have made an "official offer" (as in ANY offer) to Mitchell

Poll closed Dec 1, 2019.
  1. YES

44.6%
  2. NO

55.4%
  1. DinkumDog

DinkumDog Forum Regular Gilded

Well publicised ad infinitum on here.
    Does it really need repeating?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. albatross

albatross Forum Regular

He’s not worth more than the $800 grand he already knocked back, so why would we bother.

3. Dawain87

Dawain87 Forum Regular

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Wahesh

Wahesh The Forefather of The Kennel

People reckon he's a future five-eighth. I have my reservations about that. He set the world on fire in 2018-19 playing centre. By the way in 2018 he was awesome. He was great in 2019 as well but not as good.

5. FaceBreaker

FaceBreaker Immortal

Yeah we should of offered him one half of a pair of jandals and a half finished can of tooheys.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Hansta

Hansta Im Bain's Boss!

I dont think he is even worth 800k the way he played this year so no point offering anything. He needs to improve his attitude

• Best Post Best Post x 1
  7. 086

086 Banned In the Sin Bin

How much are the Rorters paying us to take his shit off their hands?

8. Mr. Ditkovich

Mr. Ditkovich Forum Regular

Maybe some players don’t want to come?

Robson - wants to go to Queensland (home)

Turpin - staying in Queensland

Sam Walker - Roosters. Enough said

Korosiau - Panthers offered him $100k more, plus former mentor Trent Barrett is there

Ramien- was always going back to Sharks.

Turbo Brothers - no way they were leaving Manly

Patrick Carrigan - lives in Queensland

Segeyaro - drugs

Corey Oates - Queensland + wanted to become a $700k forward

The only ones there that might be valid are Leilua, Ese’ese and Brailey. 2 of them are forwards that the club doesn’t need right now.

I would have liked to get Brailey though.

The point is that the club can only do so much, the rest is up to the player being willing to accept the offer and possibly relocate, which is tough especially for those with families in different states.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Dannyboi88

Dannyboi88 Forum Regular

No and to be honest as the days roll on the more I’m glad we didn’t offer him a contract the hint was we were keen on 1 mill for him early but he would have pushed for 1.1 1.2 he was gonna squeeze us dry
    Lot at tigers had big money offer there for him and he giving them the fuck around he won 2 comps in a superstar team
    His attitude stinks look at his origin series no worried about not singing the anthem and his consistency that demands a million dollar pay ain’t there roosters gone cold on him we have gone off him now the tigers hesitating

10. SweetFA

SweetFA Forum Regular

Seriously!!! Enough already

11. SweetFA

SweetFA Forum Regular

Let it go

12. Alan79

Alan79 Immortal

Highly possible that no club has truly offered him a million. It could just be that his manager has been trying to play this out through the media to push the price up.

13. steeliz

steeliz Kennel Enthusiast

Should we make an offer to Mitchell......................Yes

Should we make a $1 000 000 offer to Mitchell?........................No

He has the talent to become an immortal and the mental head space to be Jamal Idris.

Too much of a risk at top $$$$$

• Love Love x 1
  14. Teddybear

Teddybear Forum Regular

Would you sign him at 800 with another 200 tpa?

15. DinkumDog

Don’t think I would.

1) Dogs don’t have great TPA history - so $200k is a big ask.

2) Even at $800k it’s massive coin to assume you can extract the same performance. At the Chooks he had Keary and Cordner on his side. We have relatively in-experienced halves who whilst I believe deserve their chance, probably can’t (yet) create the same space for Mitchell.

3) Too much other smoke with managers and advisors - distractions you don’t need as we still have other work to do to rebuild the team and business.

The kid can obviously play - no-one disputes that. But the ROI for me - given all the circumstances - simply doesn’t stack up - which has been my consistent position.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Immortal

Its not a yes or no question.
    It has already been confirmed that we approached him.
    For whatever reason after that approach, we've decided to withdraw our interest.
    With no more information than that, I've got to assume that the decision was based on sound judgement.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Teddybear

Teddybear Forum Regular

Like someone very logically said on here recently... why does keary or cordner need to be responsible for latrells highlight reel.
    The kid smokes the opposition on his own.

If you want to talk about ROI.

Let's talk about Elliott, and his efforts on mad Monday.....how's our ROI with him. Sponsors walked, plus we are struggling now to nail one
    In fact management and the board need to look in their own backyard in respect to ROI.
    Their major phuck up was indeed mad Monday and not putting better systems in place For this ridiculous carry on that occurred ..
    Tell me they are not going to blame the previous board for this

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Natboy II

Natboy II Kennel Enthusiast

Thankfully we didn’t hear a peep out of mad Monday this year and none of our players have been in Kerobokan or Parklea prisons

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DinkumDog

No defence of Mad Monday - utter shambles.
    Pity the venue was leaked to the press but the carry-on shouldn’t have happened at all and Pay shouldn’t have been at the players end of season knees up.

Agree with ROI on Elliott - and even if he’s the club camaraderie man as some say - that’s not enough for a contract.

He is among a few I would not retain beyond 2020 and I’ll be disappointed if an extension is announced. So far, the ones extended for ‘21 I have no problem with.

I still believe there’s a plan we haven’t seen yet and leading up to kick-off 2020 I think we’ll learn more.

• Like Like x 2
  20. steeliz

steeliz Kennel Enthusiast

TPA are supposed to be outside the cap so whatever they are they are.

What is important is what he costs us under the cap.

I would pay $800 000 max, preferably less. His upside is huge and if we can make him happy he would be worth the million, but his downside is just as big and he has the potential to be a massive waste of money. No player in a stable headspace would talk about retirement in any way shape or form at 22. Almost all want to postpone retirement past their used-by date. Also their are warning signs like other players advising him to stay at the Roosters and how the Players association has publicly stated they will keep an eye on his mental state. Big red flags for me.

After Idris had his breakout year and was looking at his next contract I remember reading an article written by Ricky Stuart that basically said that young players don't know themselves yet. They know they are happy and in an environment that allows them to perform at their best even though they may not understand why and won't until they mature and understand themselves and their game better. He advised him to stay at the Dogs because he may not understand why he was happy and that environment allowed him to prosper and by chasing the $$$s he would enter a new environment that may not suit him as well and detract from him, his form and eventually his mental state. In the end and with hindsight Stuart was right and we all know what happened to his career.

I think Mitchell is at the same place in his career and him leaving the Roosters is a massive risk for himself and whatever club he signs for.

• Like Like x 2