Podcast Thread

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
There's a book thread, a TV show thread, a movie thread, several music threads, why not a podcast thread for the people too lazy to read.

Post any podcast recommendations you have. I listen to about 50 different podcasts but here's a few of my favourites:

The Infinite Monkey Cage (BBC)

Good podcast for nerds who like comedy. Hosted by Paritcle Physics Professor Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince. Each show they host a panel of guests with a mixture of scientists and comedians discussing a certain science based topic.

The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry (BBC)

This is a show hosted by Biologist Adam Rutherford and Mathematician Hannah Fry. Each week they take a one of the questions asked and dive deeper into the science of it. It's very British but entertaining.

MartyrMade

This one is an interesting History podcast where the host thoroughly researches and discusses some of the dark history that has taken place. The first 6 episodes are all about the formation of new Israel from an unbiased point of view. Word of warning though, it's very graphic. It goes into details of what happened to people during the riots and its not pretty at all. The episodes are also very long. The first few of episodes are 1-2 hours long. The 4th episode is 4 & 1/2 hours long. The next two episodes are nearly 6 hours long each. Very interesting though. It focuses heavily on reporting what actually happened. Due to the unbiased way he attempts to report it, supporters of both Israel and Palestine have sent him emails calling him bias for the other side.

Our Fake History

Another interesting history podcast. This one focuses on myths throughout history that people often believe to be true. The host attempts to delve deep into the myths to find out if there is any truth to them.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The Australian have had some good ones: The Teacher’s Pet (about a man suspected of killing his wife in Sydney and almost 40 years later will stand trial). Who The Hell is Hamish (about a serial conman who ripped off a ton of money from investors among other things and is now in jail) and The Lighthouse (about the Belgian backpacker who disappeared from Byron Bay two years ago).

In terms of True Crime I don’t mind Casefile and Swindled and for futurism The Next Billion Seconds.

I’ve dabbled in lots of others but keen to find more good ones so suggestions welcome!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Australian have had some good ones: The Teacher’s Pet (about a man suspected of killing his wife in Sydney and almost 40 years later will stand trial). Who The Hell is Hamish (about a serial conman who ripped off a ton of money from investors among other things and is now in jail) and The Lighthouse (about the Belgian backpacker who disappeared from Byron Bay two years ago).

In terms of True Crime I don’t mind Casefile and Swindled and for futurism The Next Billion Seconds.

I’ve dabbled in lots of others but keen to find more good ones so suggestions welcome!
The Next Billion Seconds is great. Another similar interesting one which is short and sweet is Brave New Planet which is a 7 part podcast hosted by Dr Eric Lander (Director of the Broad Institute of MIT/Harvard). It covers a lot of how technology could impact us in the coming future with things like tackling climate change, the damage that can be done with deep fakes, and the moral ambiguity of using AI controlled drones in combat.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The Next Billion Seconds is great. Another similar interesting one which is short and sweet is Brave New Planet which is a 7 part podcast hosted by Dr Eric Lander (Director of the Broad Institute of MIT/Harvard). It covers a lot of how technology could impact us in the coming future with things like tackling climate change, the damage that can be done with deep fakes, and the moral ambiguity of using AI controlled drones in combat.
Sounds up my alley, I’ll check it out, thanks Hacky.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Dinosaur I listened to my first podcast in 2020 - Bill Burr.
I've listened to Mark Bouris but he's not very entertaining.
I ride my pushy a lot so I'll take these recommendations on board.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As a Dinosaur I listened to my first podcast in 2020 - Bill Burr.
I've listened to Mark Bouris but he's not very entertaining.
I ride my pushy a lot so I'll take these recommendations on board.
Dr Karl's Shirtloads of Science is one that you'd probably enjoy. It's Dr Karl interviewing other scientists about their point of expertise. It's usually some Professors at University of Sydney, but it's really interesting. Especially the ones with Professor Geraint Lewis and Dr Jessica Bloom. Both ridiculously smart astrophysicists.

Side note, Dr Bloom is a ridiculously cute circus contortionist who also became a doctor of Astrophysics in her early 20s. The perfect woman to make you feel inadequate about achieving nothing in your life.

images (21).jpeg

Attachments

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dr Karl's Shirtloads of Science is one that you'd probably enjoy. It's Dr Karl interviewing other scientists about their point of expertise. It's usually some Professors at University of Sydney, but it's really interesting. Especially the ones with Professor Geraint Lewis and Dr Jessica Bloom. Both ridiculously smart astrophysicists.

Side note, Dr Bloom is a ridiculously cute circus contortionist who also became a doctor of Astrophysics in her early 20s. The perfect woman to make you feel inadequate about achieving nothing in your life.

View attachment 21586
Rig

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is great - long form, deep dives on momentous parts of history. He has a fascinating way of telling a story.

Disgraceland is shorter episodes telling gnarly stories of famous musicians.

Waking Up with Sam Harris is outstanding for those who enjoy conversations and debates on philosophy, theology, technology etc

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is great - long form, deep dives on momentous parts of history. He has a fascinating way of telling a story.

Disgraceland is shorter episodes telling gnarly stories of famous musicians.

Waking Up with Sam Harris is outstanding for those who enjoy conversations and debates on philosophy, theology, technology etc
I got into MartyrMade due to Dan Carlin. They have similar styles and often have back.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anyone listen to Legion of Skanks?

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Andy Rowe Show

Kiwi fella living in London chatting to some of very interesting people. Ex spies, marines, fighter pilots, criminals etc.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bill burr and Rogan are the only ones I've listened too, enjoyed them both

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently listened to the ‘Rabbit Hole’ after some recommendations on here in another thread. That was pretty good, but they spent too much time talking about ‘PewDiePie’. I’m glad I seem to live in my own universe where I have absolutely no idea who these internet wankers are.

Some ones I’ve listen to for years are Stuff You Should Know, Casefile and 99% Invisible. About to listen to ‘How it Happened’. It’s by the Australian journo Jonathon Swan who famously interviewed tRump last year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Recently listened to the ‘Rabbit Hole’ after some recommendations on here in another thread. That was pretty good, but they spent too much time talking about ‘PewDiePie’. I’m glad I seem to live in my own universe where I have absolutely no idea who these internet wankers are.

Some ones I’ve listen to for years are Stuff You Should Know, Casefile and 99% Invisible. About to listen to ‘How it Happened’. It’s by the Australian journo Jonathon Swan who famously interviewed tRump last year.
How it Happened was good but short, only 5 eps. Given it’s rather topical I’ve also been listening to Conspiracy Theories which isn’t bad.