News 'Plenty of money' in salary cap as Bulldogs eye more star raids for 2024

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs head of football Phil Gould has piled on the praise of recent signing Stephen Crichton but added that he may not be the long-term solution at fullback, with more raids planned to fill the roster for 2024.

Crichton will leave the Panthers for the Bulldogs on a four-year deal starting next season.

This signing, coupled with Matt Burton's recent re-commitment to the club on a five-year deal, was a massive coup as the club rebuilds, having spent half a decade anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

Gould said Crichton had been bought to play in any number of positions, with an eye to a long-term fullback role.

"That will depend on how he feels when he gets here," Gould told Wide World of Sports at Nine's NRL launch in Brisbane.

"We kind of know what we need and where we're heading, and we're just hopeful that a few of our younger blokes bubble up and stake a claim for those positions."

Gould said Crichton didn't give a preference for where he wanted to play during their discussions.

"It was one of the questions Cameron (Ciraldo) asked him - what position you want to play? He said I will play where the coach picks me," Gould said.

"That's one of the great things about Stephen Crichton - he's a team player, and he's a club man.

Stephen Crichton after kicking the winning drop goal in the World Cup preliminary final. (Michael Steele via Getty Images)

"But we know he can play both sides of the field. He can play centre, wing and fullback.

"We need a fullback, so we'll see what happens long term."

Gould said the club had a number of players off contract at the end of the year, and hoped heavy investment in their junior program in 2023 meant one of them would put their hand up to fill a role.

But that didn't mean they weren't still circling for another marquee signing.

"We've got seven spots to fill for next year, we've recruited pretty heavily in the age group of 18-21 and in our junior program, and hopefully a few of those bubble up over the next six months to tell us they want to be top-30 players next year," Gould said.

Matt Burton recently signed a five-year extension with the Bulldogs. (NRL Imagery)

"We've got plenty of money available for next season if a suitable marquee player comes up, but we're not locking ourselves into any concept at the moment.

"We just want to see how the club operates over the next two or three months, have a look at what we really need, and then have a look at what bubbles up."

The rejuvenated Bulldogs get their 2023 campaign underway against the Sea Eagles on Saturday afternoon.

Gould said he believed the Bulldogs had a tough early draw, but were coming off a pre-season "as productive as I've ever seen".

"We got tested through the trials, and I think we got exactly out of the trials that we needed," he said.

Josh Reynolds passes the ball in his Bulldogs return. (NRL Photos/Gregg Porteous)

"We're not in bad shape leading into the first game of the season. We've got a very tough draw from the first 10 weeks, but the draw's a draw, we've just got to get on with it and play.

"If I compare where we are now to where we were 12 months ago, we are miles in front ... as a club (and) as a unit.

"I'm expecting them to play hard during the course of the season, but there are 16 other clubs out there trying to do what we're doing - there's plenty of competition."

bulldogruss

est.1980
Reaction score
He mentions we have 7 spots left for 2024. There is one player not listed in NRL's signings list for 2024 Top 30. I am curious if it is a junior, or an external signing that hasn't been communicated yet.

Current list on NRL.COM - 22 players / 8 spots
Andrew Davey
Bronson Xerri
Franklin Pele
Hayze Perham
Isaac Matalavea-Booth
Iverson Matai
Jackson Topine
Jacob Kiraz
Jacob Preston
Jeral Skelton
Jordan Samrani
Josh Addo-Carr
Karl Oloapu
Matt Burton
Max King
Paul Alamoti
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Reed Mahoney
Ryan Sutton
Stephen Crichton
Tevita Pangai Junior
Viliame Kikau

Anyone missing that we know about?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
My only issue with waiting a couple of months to see how we shape up is that there will be even less quality/elite players available. I think it's pretty obvious right now where we need to strengthen. Our forwards in the middle of the field and halfback. From what's off contract honestly only NAS and Egan Butcher left. Guler maybe if we're stretching. Players like Leniu and Flegler are being signed now for 2024 by other clubs. I wouldn't be relying on contracted options to pop up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He mentions we have 7 spots left for 2024. There is one player not listed in NRL's signings list for 2024 Top 30. I am curious if it is a junior, or an external signing that hasn't been communicated yet.

Andrew Davey
Bronson Xerri
Franklin Pele
Hayze Perham
Isaac Matalavea-Booth
Iverson Matai
Jackson Topine
Jacob Kiraz
Jacob Preston
Jeral Skelton
Jordan Samrani
Josh Addo-Carr
Karl Oloapu
Matt Burton
Max King
Paul Alamoti
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Reed Mahoney
Ryan Sutton
Stephen Crichton
Tevita Pangai Junior
Viliame Kikau

I assume its a junior or development player we've picked up from somewhere like Gabrael.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My only issue with waiting a couple of months to see how we shape up is that there will be even less quality/elite players available. I think it's pretty obvious right now where we need to strengthen. Our forwards in the middle of the field and halfback. From what's off contract honestly only NAS and Egan Butcher left. Guler maybe if we're stretching. Players like Leniu and Flegler are being signed now for 2024 by other clubs. I wouldn't be relying on contracted options to pop up.
There is more chance of getting a quality prop than a quality halfback. I think we can more afford to see what unfolds in the prop market. We certainly don’t need to get pulled into a place of paying overs again for a prop.

However with such a scarcity of quality 7’s out there. If there is a chance of landing a quality 7. Paying top dollar is what is needed.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Dogs should have a look at Lewis Dodd. See if there is any interest in coming to the Dogs to give the NRL a shot. He is only 21 but he had good game against the Panthers. Seem like a good young kid. He also wears head gear he would fit in well with the rest of our spine.

Lewis is a scrum half from Halton Hornets who signed for Saints Academy in 2017.

2019 saw the talented youngster play 25 times and score 21 times, kicking a further 116 goals as he led the Saints Academy all the way to the Grand Final.

His impressive form saw him called up to England Academy squad whilst he was also named as part of the 19 man squad for Saints first team’s visit to London in 2019, but did not make the matchday team.

He made his Saints first team debut in 2020 against Wigan. He slotted into dummy half and demonstrated his skill and exuberance. In his second game against Wakefield Trinity Lewis supported well to claim his first try for the Saints.

He had a breakthrough season in 2021 coming in for the injured Theo Fages who missed half of the season through injury. Dodd made a total of 21 appearances at half back, scoring five times.

The youngster has a huge future ahead of him and picks up the coveted number 7 shirt in 2022.

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
There is more chance of getting a quality prop than a quality halfback. I think we can more afford to see what unfolds in the prop market. We certainly don’t need to get pulled into a place of paying overs again for a prop.

However with such a scarcity of quality 7’s out there. If there is a chance of landing a quality 7. Paying top dollar is what is needed.
There are no halfbacks left in the market unless we're looking at England and there are only a few quality middles remaining. There's a good chance they're all locked up before a couple of months too. I'm hoping someone like Keary becomes available early in regards to halfback.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs head of football Phil Gould has piled on the praise of recent signing Stephen Crichton but added that he may not be the long-term solution at fullback, with more raids planned to fill the roster for 2024.

Crichton will leave the Panthers for the Bulldogs on a four-year deal starting next season.

This signing, coupled with Matt Burton's recent re-commitment to the club on a five-year deal, was a massive coup as the club rebuilds, having spent half a decade anchored to the bottom of the ladder.

Gould said Crichton had been bought to play in any number of positions, with an eye to a long-term fullback role.

"That will depend on how he feels when he gets here," Gould told Wide World of Sports at Nine's NRL launch in Brisbane.

"We kind of know what we need and where we're heading, and we're just hopeful that a few of our younger blokes bubble up and stake a claim for those positions."

Gould said Crichton didn't give a preference for where he wanted to play during their discussions.

"It was one of the questions Cameron (Ciraldo) asked him - what position you want to play? He said I will play where the coach picks me," Gould said.

"That's one of the great things about Stephen Crichton - he's a team player, and he's a club man.

Stephen Crichton after kicking the winning drop goal in the World Cup preliminary final. (Michael Steele via Getty Images)

"But we know he can play both sides of the field. He can play centre, wing and fullback.

"We need a fullback, so we'll see what happens long term."

Gould said the club had a number of players off contract at the end of the year, and hoped heavy investment in their junior program in 2023 meant one of them would put their hand up to fill a role.

But that didn't mean they weren't still circling for another marquee signing.

"We've got seven spots to fill for next year, we've recruited pretty heavily in the age group of 18-21 and in our junior program, and hopefully a few of those bubble up over the next six months to tell us they want to be top-30 players next year," Gould said.

Matt Burton recently signed a five-year extension with the Bulldogs. (NRL Imagery)

"We've got plenty of money available for next season if a suitable marquee player comes up, but we're not locking ourselves into any concept at the moment.

"We just want to see how the club operates over the next two or three months, have a look at what we really need, and then have a look at what bubbles up."

The rejuvenated Bulldogs get their 2023 campaign underway against the Sea Eagles on Saturday afternoon.

Gould said he believed the Bulldogs had a tough early draw, but were coming off a pre-season "as productive as I've ever seen".

"We got tested through the trials, and I think we got exactly out of the trials that we needed," he said.

Josh Reynolds passes the ball in his Bulldogs return. (NRL Photos/Gregg Porteous)

"We're not in bad shape leading into the first game of the season. We've got a very tough draw from the first 10 weeks, but the draw's a draw, we've just got to get on with it and play.

"If I compare where we are now to where we were 12 months ago, we are miles in front ... as a club (and) as a unit.

"I'm expecting them to play hard during the course of the season, but there are 16 other clubs out there trying to do what we're doing - there's plenty of competition."

So, Crichton wasn't bought as a definite fullback.
To the know it all people and the doubters...I told you so !!!

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Andrew Davey
Bronson Xerri
Franklin Pele
Hayze Perham
Isaac Matalavea-Booth
Iverson Matai
Jackson Topine
Jacob Kiraz
Jacob Preston
Jeral Skelton
Jordan Samrani
Josh Addo-Carr
Karl Oloapu
Matt Burton
Max King
Paul Alamoti
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Reed Mahoney
Ryan Sutton
Stephen Crichton
Tevita Pangai Junior
Viliame Kikau

Isaac Matalavea-Booth And iverson Matai Shouldn't have top 30 spots imo

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are no halfbacks left in the market unless we're looking at England and there are only a few quality middles remaining. There's a good chance they're all locked up before a couple of months too. I'm hoping someone like Keary becomes available early in regards to halfback.
Yep it’s easy for supporters to say we need a halfback for next year but decent off contract halfbacks are as rare as rocking horse shit.

It’s either England or take a punt on a young bloke who is stuck behind a decent halfback.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will get 1st shot there, he's on fullback money. Alamoti and Xerri centres.
With all due respect, you've got no fucking idea what he's getting paid unless you are him, his agent or someone in a financial role in an intimate position within the club.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
With all due respect, you've got no fucking idea what he's getting paid unless you are him, his agent or someone in a financial role in an intimate position within the club.
So we just don't talk about it? Time to shut down the forum I guess. Using the best information we have as fans he's on fullback money and that's where he'll be playing. With all due respect you grind my gears.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keary is way to much of a head knock risk. He is a great option (when fit) but he is almost certain to miss more games the he plays unfortunately.

Even players like Cogger playing behind a certain first choice would be better than what we have got.

William’s is still the way I would be going.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He will get 1st shot there, he's on fullback money. Alamoti and Xerri centres.
NRL fullback money is now $1.0m.
Quality fullback money is now $1.2m
Elite fullback money is now $1.4m

NRL centre money is now $450k.
Quality centre money is now $600k
Elite centre money is now $800k

Crichton is on somewhere between Quality and Elite centre money, if he makes it as fullback he's cheap.

FWIW "money" does not = what's in the Cap.

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
NRL fullback money is now $1.0m.
Quality fullback money is now $1.2m
Elite fullback money is now $1.4m

NRL centre money is now $450k.
Quality centre money is now $600k
Elite centre money is now $800k

Crichton is on somewhere between Quality and Elite centre money, if he makes it as fullback he's cheap.

FWIW "money" does not = what's in the Cap.

Always a Bulldog
Elite fullback money is ~1m. Tedesco on 1.1m and Ponga on 1.4m, but he's on overs. You might be able to push elite fullback money up to 1.2m but definitely isn't 1.4m.

700-800k is for the best strike centre/second rowers in the game, e.g. Manu and Kikau. I think Crichton is a quality centre so 600k?

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
FWIW "money" does not = what's in the Cap
Yeah, we get it. There's really no need to keep repeating that.
It's not particularly useful nor insightful.
For the purpose of discussing what a player (or position) is worth/being paid, only "money" on the cap is relevant.
No one cares what actually goes into their bank account.