Opinion Players agitating out of a contract

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously think the nrl should obtain, retain and pay all nrl players contracts, minus the total from the yearly grants, and have both the clubs and managers negotiate via the nrl.

Doesn't have to be all changed over in one hit, progressively start implementing the change as new players sign initial contracts with the nrl.

Player salaries should be public property of the nrl, if the players don't like it, play something else.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I seriously think the nrl should obtain, retain and pay all nrl players contracts, minus the total from the yearly grants, and have both the clubs and managers negotiate via the nrl.

Doesn't have to be all changed over in one hit, progressively start implementing the change as new players sign initial contracts with the nrl.

Player salaries should be public property of the nrl, if the players don't like it, play something else.
There’s probably something in Australian contract law that prevents that from happening. If not publishing player salaries might not be allowed as part of the CBA.
Apart from the Roosters going back to back the salary cap is doing its job. Apart from the Titans I think every club has been to a grand final in the last 15-20 years. It would probably look even more even if the Storm hadn’t cheated for long too

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s probably something in Australian contract law that prevents that from happening. If not publishing player salaries might not be allowed as part of the CBA.
Apart from the Roosters going back to back the salary cap is doing its job. Apart from the Titans I think every club has been to a grand final in the last 15-20 years. It would probably look even more even if the Storm hadn’t cheated for long too
The roosters and the storm have had an uncanny amount of grand final appearances in the last 20 years, so I'm yet to be swayed as to the efficiency of the current salary cap model.

Publishing salaries may or may not be feasible by law, but if it is it should be looked into. There are many other instances where peoples salaries are publicly listed in Australia so at this stage I would tend to think it would be legal.

The nrl paying and managing all contracts is certainly legal.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The roosters and the storm have had an uncanny amount of grand final appearances in the last 20 years, so I'm yet to be swayed as to the efficiency of the current salary cap model.

Publishing salaries may or may not be feasible by law, but if it is it should be looked into. There are many other instances where peoples salaries are publicly listed in Australia so at this stage I would tend to think it would be legal.

The nrl paying and managing all contracts is certainly legal.
I just think if publishing salaries was feasible they would have done it already. This is the NRL though so who knows?
I don’t see how the centralising of salary payments achieves anything. The clubs are provided a grant every year and are supposed to have their books audited. It just creates an unnecessary administrative process that doesn’t stop people from cheating

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just think if publishing salaries was feasible they would have done it already. This is the NRL though so who knows?
I don’t see how the centralising of salary payments achieves anything. The clubs are provided a grant every year and are supposed to have their books audited. It just creates an unnecessary administrative process that doesn’t stop people from cheating
Yeh, fair call - it wouldn't stop Brown paper bags.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This will continue to happen while ever there is no deterrent against it.

One solution would be for the NRL to impose a rule that states a club cannot offer a player more than his current contract until that contract expires, then they can offer them whatever they want. This will prevent player managers whoring their clients around before their current contract expires as there's no financial benefit for the manager or the player.
Your statement is ironic considering the club you support the Roosters is one of the biggest if not the biggest whore of a club in the NRL, however, I do agree with your idea although it would hinder your clubs ability to poach players from other clubs!

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm getting over seeing this time and time again. It's time for the NRL to step in and muzzle the player manages and make a contract worth the paper its written on.
To me it's pretty simple, all contracts and official contract offers should be lodged and recorded with the NRL. This will ensure players and clubs are protected from player managers trying to manipulate the player market.
Secondly, if you break your contract then you shouldn't be able to earn more than the contracted amount your already on. This will likely be a restriction of trade and illegal though.
How is it a restriction of trade? You have signed a contract for a certain time.

End of story.

Restriction of trade will not hold up in court if a contract has been signed between player and club. The player agreed to the deal.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Salary cap doing it’s job HAHAHA that’s a laugh, you are taking the piss mate! 2017 premiers Storm 2018-19 premiers Roosters, 2020 premiers Storm... pull the other leg mate!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's been a blight on the game for years. It's a simple fix.. Change the rule so that you can't recruit a player unless their contract has expired or they've been given permission to by their current club. Create a trade system like in American sports where teams get compensated for losing players still under contract.

Strictly police tampering and heavily fine clubs who flout the rules. But that would be too logical for the NRL.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's been a blight on the game for years. It's a simple fix.. Change the rule so that you can't recruit a player unless their contract has expired or they've been given permission to by their current club. Create a trade system like in American sports where teams get compensated for losing players still under contract.

Strictly police tampering and heavily fine clubs who flout the rules. But that would be too logical for the NRL.
I'd remove "given permission to by their current club". The problem is players kick stones at training and leave the club with little to no choice. They're basically dead cap space that don't want to be there. This isn't every player, but definitely some. It also goes both ways, clubs force players out of the club currently too (I'm sure there are multiple players we'd like to see moved on from our current team). I find it hard to see an alternative where both players and clubs win. If we don't want players to break their contracts than clubs also have to stick with the dud buys.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'd remove "given permission to by their current club". The problem is players kick stones at training and leave the club with little to no choice. They're basically dead cap space that don't want to be there. This isn't every player, but definitely some. It also goes both ways, clubs force players out of the club.
That's where a trade system is needed. The players that want to leave but their current club wants to keep should be traded to another club for another player or two depending on value.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What they should do is, if a player wants a release for whatever reason, ie compassion, then the new contract they sign cannot be worth more than the existing one they signed.
Didn't Vlandys say something about that this year??

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple fix, NRL should enforce any breaking of Contract, no matter if it’s club led or player led , both existing and new club get penalised on salary cap.
player A leaves club , salary still comes off cap
player A joins new club , salary cap includes both new club contract and old club contract.

then You will see all contracts honoured and power will be removed from player managers

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their can be no doubt that clubs and managers are responsible for enticing players to break contracts, for this reason I believe that if a player wants to break a contract the club he wants to go to should compensate the club he wants to leave, and the amount of compensation is added to the that club's salary cap, and IMHO the amount of compensation should should equal the remainder of that player's contract.
This might sound unrealistic but it would be a very good deterrent against clubs trying to entice a player to break his contract, and if a player doesn't receive a back door offer he won't be kicking stones.