Votes: 47 73.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't mind gives your better player a chance to play better footy if you are doing shit and miss the finals

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Loans- yes
Gives players that aren’t getting starts at their own club a chance to have a crack.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a big NO from me.

Only reason I would is if we're in contention for the FINALS next year and then I'd ask for either Turbo, Ponga, Hunt, Tapine or Johnston if they're out of contention. :-)

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Made sense during covid when there were no Reggies and there was a bubble/restriction on travel , but now? No way.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Below is an excerpt relating to the loaning of players. To me it is now redundant because there is no more bubble. Clubs have in the past filled vacancies due to injury within their own system and there is no reason why that should not be the case now. Opening up a massive can of worms if allowed to continue. It was also decided that players would have to return to their own clubs once finals began and would not be available to play for their pseudo team in the finals series. Additionally if their team faced an injury crisis they would also then need to return to them.

Yet now we see this....

Wests Tigers winger David Nofoaluma will join the Melbourne Storm on a loan deal for the remainder of the 2022 NRL season. Nofoaluma will link up with his new loan-club in the coming days and will

It's a ridiculous situation that will see the Samoan international play finals football for the first time in his career, only to then return to the club he's spent a decade at, where his contract remains locked in until 2025.

Some have defended the move, saying Nofoaluma wasn't in first grade anyway - but he's played in the majority of their games this year, and was part of the squad that travelled to Townsville last week, despite not taking part.

But ignoring that, you only have to look at the other names that have been mooted in potential end-of-season loan deals to see how farcical this could theoretically become.

Approaches for Adam Doueihi and Daine Laurie were apparently knocked back, while the Bulldogs were sounded out for Josh Addo-Carr and the Warriors for Reece Walsh.

These names would no doubt raise more eyebrows than the Nofoaluma move, but there's nothing stopping it from happening in the future.

The NRL is exploring the introduction of a loan system just before the August 1 deadline.

With clubs facing an increased injury toll and unable to bring reinforcements from the NSW or Queensland Cup due to bubble regulations, the NRL will look to approve an official loan system before the week is out.

“We are seeing clubs being stretched injury-wise and Covid-wise, both personal and for bubble breaches.

What the NRL are looking at it an in-house transfer system for the remainder of the season. It wouldn’t include finals and the grand final.

Riccio revealed that the new legislation, the two clubs can come to an agreement that a player can make an immediate swap for a determined period – be it one game, two games, three games.

The player would then need to return to their previous club before the finals and under the proposal being considered they would have to return to their parent club if that club picked up more injuries.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No. The NRL has destroyed the merit of reserve grade at clubs because of their stupid top 30 rule. This is just another addition to that.
if we have no top 30 and no loan system then better players will move to clubs to get to play first grade if they aren’t getting that opportunity.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yes but only in the preseason.

Changes I would make:

Transfer window from October 10 until March 1.
All signings and loans must be made in that time period.
No signing with another team during the season for the next season.
No top 30 bullcrap. Any player on your books can be used for any game.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it's all about the cap and pathways management, why help those who mismanage it

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a fan of the loan system. Stacked clubs seem to be the ones benefitting from it.

We see how it's working now. The top teams have opted to load up salaries on the top 17-20 and obviously keep a lesser quality set of reserves on very low wages.

I personally wouldn't have issues with a loan system if it was season long. If a junior came on a year faster than expected and they'd benefit a lesser team, then fair enough to let them go for a year. But given that it's being exploited to ensure that strong teams don't suffer much if they've managed their cap poorly when it comes to depth being rubbish, it's not fair. In years gone by if you opted for a gun top 17 and a shit 13 reserves, injuries would cruel your season and allow clubs with a better spread of talent over the squad to catch up. Under this system it's a foregone conclusion that the top teams won't weaken.

So I just don't think it's fair to allow top clubs to bolster their squad with a top of the line player for close to minimum wage. Defeats the purpose of a salary cap

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s a nope for me.
Reasons:
•Are they going to pay for the player’s salary for the game’s he plays?
•will they cover the costs if the player gets injured?
Yes and yes.

Always a Bulldog

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes. But before round June 30. For development reasons. Gives players an opportunity to play NRL for a side that is short in that position. Similar to what happens in soccer

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No top 30 bullcrap. Any player on your books can be used for any game.
This i definitely agree with. Small concern might be the ability to rort re salary cap (if selecting players outside group under NRL salary cap)? But i guess if you're picking some guy from 3rd grade, you're unlikely to be vying for the title.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hate it, its unfair and not in the spirit of the game, teams should suck it up.Takes opportunity away from a guy in reserve grade waiting for a break also.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
This i definitely agree with. Small concern might be the ability to rort re salary cap (if selecting players outside group under NRL salary cap)? But i guess if you're picking some guy from 3rd grade, you're unlikely to be vying for the title.
Your current lowest paid player in your top 30 gets paid more than any player outside the top 30.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Definitely a NO from me. If a team starts to get too many injuries/suspensions etc... (meaning that they'll need be 13 done top their top, almost impossible to happen), then they should be granted a concession to bring in some players from the NSW Cup and what have you to play in the top grade.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Loans- yes
Gives players that aren’t getting starts at their own club a chance to have a crack.
100%. If you can allow an up and coming young gun get first grade experience elsewhere, regardless of the club, it's a bonus for yours. My only limitation is loaning to lol@souffs, fark them in their hairy goat arse.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting to see klemmer looking at a loan to parramatta that not only included this year but also next year on top. Apparently Newcastle bosses weren’t too fussed to let him go at the right price. Obviously there is something about him that irks the teams he plays in because as soon as he kicked up a stink here he has lost all of his rep jerseys and now a bottom 4 club don’t care to lose him. I was filthy when we lost him but now I say good riddance. The fact he would entertain a move back to Sydney makes me think he’s even more of a knob after his change of scenery excuse at the time he left us. Hope we kick on in the next few years and really rub it in