Reaction score
Secret dossier reveals bombshell proposal for NRL revolution
NRL PREMIERSHIP

• April 27, 2021 7:04pm
  • by TYSON OTTO
  • Source: news.com.au
Wayne is keen.
Wayne is keen.Source: Getty Images

A secret dossier given to NRL clubs has revealed the bombshell plan to revolutionise the game.

The NRL has taken a huge step forward in it plans to split the competition into two conferences as part of its expansion plans for the 2023 season.
The league has previously flirted with the concept of a divided competition, but it emerged on Tuesday night the league is more serious than ever about the plan to turn the competition on its head.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo last month put the 18-team conference system on the table for public discussion and it was reported Tuesday the plan has advanced to the stage of discussions with the 16 NRL clubs. He also claimed the New Zealand market was the perfect destination for an 18th club. The second Kiwi team would join a 17th team from Brisbane, which is on track to be introduced for the start of the 2023 season — when the NRL’s new TV rights deal would begin.

The leading contenders to become the NRL’s 17th team are the Redcliffe Dolphins, who have lodged a Brisbane Dolphins trademark, the Brisbane Jets — a coalition of the Brisbane Bombers and Ipswich Jets — and the Easts Tigers-backed Brisbane Firehawks.

The Sydney Morning Heraldon Tuesday reported Abdo and chairman Peter V’landys have been meeting with clubs. Channel 7 reported Tuesday night the NRL executives have been handing the clubs a secret dossier with the details of the proposed 18-team competition that would divide the league into two conferences made up of nine teams.

Bennett last month went public with his support of the concept

“I think they should play in conferences, I’ve always argued for conferences,” Bennett said.

“I think Sydney do themselves a great disservice by not playing each other on a regular basis home-and-away because that’s what the fans want in Sydney.

“(Sydney fans) embrace the national league but they also embrace the club rivalry and unless you’re living in Sydney you don’t realise how strong it is,” Bennett said.

“It’s what people outside of Sydney don’t get about Sydney is the genuine rivalry between the clubs here.

“It makes the game, I love it.”

The two conference system would include a Sydney-based conference and a conference made up of the teams outside Sydney.

The proposal includes the nine clubs in each conference playing each other twice, and playing the clubs in the other conference once — expanding the season to a 25-game home-and-away competition.

It will also result in an overhaul of the finals system with the proposal outlining plans to have the best four teams from each conference qualify for the finals.

The two conferences would then have separate finals systems before the best club from each conference clash for the NRL Grand Final.

It comes after the NRL last year flirted with the idea of breaking the competition into two conferences as part of the plan to re-start the season following the COVID-19 season shutdown.

The NRL in 2019 also investigated a proposal to expand the finals system with a wildcard weekend that would see teams from 7th to 10th play off for a chance to secure a spot in the top eight. The proposal was designed to eliminate the number of games played that had no impact on the make-up of the finals.

How the NRL conferences would look

Sydney conference: Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels, Bulldogs, Tigers, Panthers, Dragons, Sharks, Sea Eagles

Expansion conference: Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Knights, Raiders, second Brisbane franchise, second New Zealand franchise

How the season would work:

The nine teams from each conference play each other twice (16 games) and each team from the other conference once (nine games)

How the finals system would work

Each conference would have a top four group of teams that qualify for the finals. The finals would then unfold as separate competitions in an elimination format that would begin with 1vs4 and 2vs3. The winners of each conference would then play for the NRL grand final.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Secret dossier reveals bombshell proposal for NRL revolution
NRL PREMIERSHIP

• April 27, 2021 7:04pm
  • by TYSON OTTO
  • Source: news.com.au
Wayne is keen.
Wayne is keen.Source: Getty Images

A secret dossier given to NRL clubs has revealed the bombshell plan to revolutionise the game.

The NRL has taken a huge step forward in it plans to split the competition into two conferences as part of its expansion plans for the 2023 season.
The league has previously flirted with the concept of a divided competition, but it emerged on Tuesday night the league is more serious than ever about the plan to turn the competition on its head.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo last month put the 18-team conference system on the table for public discussion and it was reported Tuesday the plan has advanced to the stage of discussions with the 16 NRL clubs. He also claimed the New Zealand market was the perfect destination for an 18th club. The second Kiwi team would join a 17th team from Brisbane, which is on track to be introduced for the start of the 2023 season — when the NRL’s new TV rights deal would begin.

The leading contenders to become the NRL’s 17th team are the Redcliffe Dolphins, who have lodged a Brisbane Dolphins trademark, the Brisbane Jets — a coalition of the Brisbane Bombers and Ipswich Jets — and the Easts Tigers-backed Brisbane Firehawks.

The Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday reported Abdo and chairman Peter V’landys have been meeting with clubs. Channel 7 reported Tuesday night the NRL executives have been handing the clubs a secret dossier with the details of the proposed 18-team competition that would divide the league into two conferences made up of nine teams.

Bennett last month went public with his support of the concept

“I think they should play in conferences, I’ve always argued for conferences,” Bennett said.

“I think Sydney do themselves a great disservice by not playing each other on a regular basis home-and-away because that’s what the fans want in Sydney.

“(Sydney fans) embrace the national league but they also embrace the club rivalry and unless you’re living in Sydney you don’t realise how strong it is,” Bennett said.

“It’s what people outside of Sydney don’t get about Sydney is the genuine rivalry between the clubs here.

“It makes the game, I love it.”

The two conference system would include a Sydney-based conference and a conference made up of the teams outside Sydney.

The proposal includes the nine clubs in each conference playing each other twice, and playing the clubs in the other conference once — expanding the season to a 25-game home-and-away competition.

It will also result in an overhaul of the finals system with the proposal outlining plans to have the best four teams from each conference qualify for the finals.

The two conferences would then have separate finals systems before the best club from each conference clash for the NRL Grand Final.

It comes after the NRL last year flirted with the idea of breaking the competition into two conferences as part of the plan to re-start the season following the COVID-19 season shutdown.

The NRL in 2019 also investigated a proposal to expand the finals system with a wildcard weekend that would see teams from 7th to 10th play off for a chance to secure a spot in the top eight. The proposal was designed to eliminate the number of games played that had no impact on the make-up of the finals.

How the NRL conferences would look

Sydney conference: Roosters, Rabbitohs, Eels, Bulldogs, Tigers, Panthers, Dragons, Sharks, Sea Eagles

Expansion conference: Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Storm, Warriors, Knights, Raiders, second Brisbane franchise, second New Zealand franchise

How the season would work:

The nine teams from each conference play each other twice (16 games) and each team from the other conference once (nine games)

How the finals system would work

Each conference would have a top four group of teams that qualify for the finals. The finals would then unfold as separate competitions in an elimination format that would begin with 1vs4 and 2vs3. The winners of each conference would then play for the NRL grand final.

Well fuck me Vlandys. This guy is single handedly ruining the game. Nothing left of whatever fabric he keeps harping on about.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would suck for people in Newcastle... You take away the luxury of them being able to easily travel to Sydney for away games.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Well fuck me Vlandys. This guy is single handedly ruining the game. Nothing left of whatever fabric he keeps harping on about.
Yep he's a fuckwit... Literally anyone who was in-charge during covid would have "succeeded" in some shape or form as the game is to valuable for TV networks to allow it to die.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like the English soccer "Super League" when the fans protested against it and for now came out on top keeping the existing system, rugby league fans should do likewise. It's our game ffs!!! How about consulting with members and fans? Yeh the people who invest in the bloody game.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It helps for an easier passage for 1 of the 2 Brisbane teams to make the GF and make money for the NRL. No more rivalries like Bulldogs v Parra meeting in GF.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The travelling for the outatowners would be horrendous.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you can’t get blockbuster Sydney GF.
also with clubs relying more and more for sponsors , Sydney clubs get screwed without interstate exposure .
sure fire way to kill off Sydney clubs

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like the finals system... one table, best 8 go into the finals... but I like the conference system which ensures the Sydney teams play each other twice

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just think it gives an unfair advantage for some teams and it's not a proper competition.

For eg: Teams like Roosters who have traditionally been consistently strong over the years get to play all the shitty inconsistent out of form Sydney teams and don't have to face the Storm (like the other conference who have to face them twice) which guarantees them a saloon passage to the GF.

or 1 of the conferences could be in better form than the other but only four teams can progress to the finals.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the fact that there aren't 30 round regular seasons immediately makes it unfair as you don't get to play every team twice, home and away

the game is cyclical, too... I remember a mid table Roosters team that went 27 years between titles... I remember when the Storm were our bunnies... I never thought I would see a Broncos team win the spoon and yet here we are... I remember the Rabbitohs winning 3 wooden spoons in 4 years and it would have been 4 spoons in 5 years had we had not been kicked out in 2002... I remember a Raiders team that was so good it felt unfair but in the 27 years since have not won a title etc.

in view of the above, I think having the Sydney teams playing each other twice a year is not any more unfair than what exists now, helps with the crowds and financial viability of the Sydney teams, and continues on the traditions and rivalries of the old comp

and I am sick of the likes of A. Johns wanting to cull Sydney teams and worse consolidate them on a geographic basis (new North, South, East and West merged new franchises)... that will kill the league

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't really see the point of splitting into two conferences. Is there anything wrong with the current system aside from the fact that there isn't really enough talent to go around without adding two more teams?

Conference systems might work in the NFL but America has lower tier leagues that make money while producing talent. The NRL has no such systems in place and they don't look to have been willing to contribute a cent to developing juniors.

I really dislike the fact that the NRL seems to be in the hands of people who give so little thought to the feelings and opinions of fans.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
this was my idea a few yers back and looks like its being ripped off, if you ever need proof the nrl admin are reading the forum.

im cool with the reg season format, im not cool though with the finals system of 4 each.

perhaps they can have a seed system.

lets say canberra win the conference 1 and souths win sydney

Souths, in their glory, go underveated in the season but raiders lose 4 games

Souths choose whoever they want to play against in the remaining 7. For example, tigers may have come third out of four, but souths havent lost to them in years so they choose them.
Raiders however like that and choose the 4th in the division souths was in.

Small solution that may still get sydney on sydney

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I hate the idea, would kill off what interest I have left in the game