Phone tapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Listening to Kevin Moore on ABC today, he was denying rumours that he was about to be sacked, and made references to (so called) "sources close to the club" as nobody the club was aware of.

The police tapped all Bulldogs' phones during the Coffs Harbour incident. It just made me wonder whether the phones of players, officials and high profile fans are still being tapped. And, could this be where "sources close to the club" is coming from? There are a few journalists who use this phrase under the guise of protecting sources. I've always thought it a convenient cover for totally fabricated stories, but maybe there is more to it.

Given the revelations re the Murdoch journos tapping into virtually everybody's lives; is it possible that our, and other, clubs are also the victims of illegal phone tapping by the media?

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Good lord .... I honestly dont know where to begin ....

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
OK - I had a 2nd read ....

The police tapped all Bulldogs' phones during the Coffs Harbour incident. It just made me wonder whether the phones of players, officials and high profile fans are still being tapped. And, could this be where "sources close to the club" is coming from?
Since 2004, the likelyhood that players have changed numbers is HIGH ! Assuming we're ONLY talking about mobiles, the likelyhood that those same people still have the same numbers is lower. People change numbers like their undies sometimes.

As for landlines ... we'd have to assume that the same "police team" is still working in similar roles, and have access to archived info like "Bulldogs active phone taps"

There are a few journalists who use this phrase under the guise of protecting sources. I've always thought it a convenient cover for totally fabricated stories, but maybe there is more to it.
I'd suggest treating each "media revelation" on a case by case basis.

Why is this being said ?
Who is saying it ?
What's in it for them ?

Like "they" say ... there's 3 sides to the story - Ours. Theirs. And the Truth.

Also ... Papers 'sensationalise' issues to sell more papers knowing full well that agrieved fans will rush out and buy them to "find out what's going on".
Given the revelations re the Murdoch journos tapping into virtually everybody's lives; is it possible that our, and other, clubs are also the victims of illegal phone tapping by the media?
It's possible ... but unusual.

That issue was largely centred around the conduct of journalists from NOTW in the UK.

On the scale of international sporting stars, if we ranked them from 0-100 as far as worldwide interest goes, Kevin Moore ranks a "3" !

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was an idle thought, but fuelled by the NOTW revelations that the phone tapping went far wider than anyone could have believed. If it was done by Murdoch media in one country - could it happen elsewhere?

Maybe it's just that my opinion of a couple of Sydney journos makes me paranoid.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
In a climate of declining print sales, and increasing internet access by the public ... print journalists have to compete, evolve and lift their game or be unemployed. HITS on stories means a lot !

Take a look at the bottom of any newspaper site in the Top articles of the day .... it's all based on "keywords" and "click-rates".
What passes as news today, would be considered infantile 3rd-grade rumour-mongering prior to the net.

Is it mobile hacking or tapping that fuels it ? .... I think it's more dinosaurs using dirty tricks (such as quoting "inside and/or un-named sources") and struggling to keep up, mixed with media noobs, big mouth bloggers and a great big lack of journo credentials.

G

Gladiator.

Eh? Legislation only allows police to tape a phone for 30 days, if nothing suspicious is found, they stop tapping. If they believe something is suspicious, then they have to come before a judge and prove that they need to tap a phone. Then a tap is granted for 90 days.

P

Paint.

OK - I had a 2nd read ....

Since 2004, the likelyhood that players have changed numbers is HIGH ! Assuming we're ONLY talking about mobiles, the likelyhood that those same people still have the same numbers is lower. People change numbers like their undies sometimes.

As for landlines ... we'd have to assume that the same "police team" is still working in similar roles, and have access to archived info like "Bulldogs active phone taps"

I'd suggest treating each "media revelation" on a case by case basis.

Why is this being said ?
Who is saying it ?
What's in it for them ?

Like "they" say ... there's 3 sides to the story - Ours. Theirs. And the Truth.

Also ... Papers 'sensationalise' issues to sell more papers knowing full well that agrieved fans will rush out and buy them to "find out what's going on".
It's possible ... but unusual.

That issue was largely centred around the conduct of journalists from NOTW in the UK.

On the scale of international sporting stars, if we ranked them from 0-100 as far as worldwide interest goes, Kevin Moore ranks a "3" !
That's if you're going to look worldwide - these journos wouldn't care about worldwide. To them, the target audience would be NRL fans, and the Telecrap being a NSW-based paper, it'd be NRL fans based around Sydney.
Which NRL club is currently in the media the most? The Bulldogs - that puts their coach, who is the reason for the headlines, at around 80 or 90...

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Agree - On a NSW scale he'd rate higher.

But if you were a jounro/hacker, wouldn't you rather the juice on any one of about FIVE other issues right now ?

- Tigers/Penrith internal disharmony.
- Manly salary cap rumours.
- Newcastle/Tinkler financials.
- Independent commission and it's 'wannabes'
- Cronulla board discussions about their viability.

I think tapping Moore's phones (or Canterbury's) would be low on the pecking order, if it's even happening at all.

P

Paint.

Agree - On a NSW scale he'd rate higher.

But if you were a jounro/hacker, wouldn't you rather the juice on any one of about FIVE other issues right now ?

- Tigers/Penrith internal disharmony.
- Manly salary cap rumours.
- Newcastle/Tinkler financials.
- Independent commission and it's 'wannabes'
- Cronulla board discussions about their viability.

I think tapping Moore's phones (or Canterbury's) would be low on the pecking order, if it's even happening at all.
I think only the Tigers' problem would rank higher. Manly cap problems have been confirmed as rubbish, IC members have been confirmed, Tinklers' paid his fees, and honestly, no one really cares about Cronulla.

An inside scoop on a coach sacking, tho, is always high on the hits list.

G

Gladiator.

Which f*cking journo has the capacity to hack/ tap a phone. Only people that have that ability are the police force, ASIO and AFP. Do you even know how much it costs? Who the f*ck would want to do that?

Take your tinfoil hat off and put the meth pipe down, making you paranoid as f*ck.

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hefty penalties for illegal phone taps. Listening Devices Act 1994/ Surveillance Devices Act 2007.
Would it happen? kroniic's answer made me laugh.

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ROFL phone taps. man we are struggling.

someone get fox mulder on the case.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Just so long as uour game plan isn't leaked....If opposition teams learn we like dogding footballs and one out hitups we in trouble

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Listening to Kevin Moore on ABC today, he was denying rumours that he was about to be sacked, and made references to (so called) "sources close to the club" as nobody the club was aware of.

The police tapped all Bulldogs' phones during the Coffs Harbour incident. It just made me wonder whether the phones of players, officials and high profile fans are still being tapped. And, could this be where "sources close to the club" is coming from? There are a few journalists who use this phrase under the guise of protecting sources. I've always thought it a convenient cover for totally fabricated stories, but maybe there is more to it.

Man, you have issues, ROFPML !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You think the Masons are behind the phone tapping? Maybe its the reptilians?

Status
Not open for further replies.