Opinion Phil Gould

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
With whispers of Gould being on the outer at Penrith and not far from exiting, would it be worth picking him up in an advisory capacity to Dean Pay and the recruitment/ retention committees?

Love him or loathe him, the bloke has one of the best footy brains in the business, I think he'd be an asset over the next couple of crucial years.

He also has some Bulldogs pedigree from the 80's as a player and coach.

What do you think?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Has he really done that good of a job at Penrith? They have been having a "re-build" since he arrived and seem to be getting further away from a premiership.

On a slightly different note I'd like to see a experienced veteran coach come in to be one of Pay's assistants. I know Anderson is there but someone who has recent experience in the NRL would be perfect.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They get rid of more players than we do, but they also remove coaches lol no thanks

Calibra

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I take him onboard without doubt. Many people give it to Gus but truth be told, he’s one of the best rugby league brains out there. He’s also proven it first hand as a coach.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How many premierships has Penrith won under Gould, despite having the best juniors in the league for yonks?

No thank you.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe a good footy brain I agree, but no thanks, will stick with what we have at the moment.!!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would love him but the Anderson’s would not as theyd feel very threatened

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just going to cause confusion in terms of authority and accountability.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why must we continue giving suggestions about bringing back people from the past. Time to look forward and create a new dynasty!!

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cleary situation makes his position untenable really. He sacked Cleary and by all counts didn’t want him back. I’m not sure outside of one good year with the Warriors what has Cleary done? He’s the new Ricky Stuart really. Griffin has a far better record and didn’t deserve to be sacked for the team’s onfield performance anyway

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How many problems at penrith have involved Gus and his ego ?? im guessing most of them .. no thanks.. i dont watch channel 9 just so i dont have to listen to him..

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With whispers of Gould being on the outer at Penrith and not far from exiting, would it be worth picking him up in an advisory capacity to Dean Pay and the recruitment/ retention committees?

Love him or loathe him, the bloke has one of the best footy brains in the business, I think he'd be an asset over the next couple of crucial years.

He also has some Bulldogs pedigree from the 80's as a player and coach.

What do you think?
Wouldn’t say no but he has a bit of baggage, he does love the dogs it’s obvious when he commentates, he might learn from his time at panthers, the panthers attract serious talent

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
No thanks.

He’s a big problem out that way because no one pulls him up. And he’s always right. Not worth the hassle
you flip a coin and ask Gus what is it going to be heads or tails.

Gus will respond that there is a strong possibility that it will be heads but he is having a feeling that it could be tails. so what ever comes up he will keep reminding you that he was correct that he told every one which way the coin is going to flip.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably be more hinderance than help.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we are going OK with what we have. Does anyone remember what Gould achieved at Souths?
His policy seems to be, do it his way or the highway. If he doesnt get his way, he sacks people, mostly because he cant get on with them.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will never be apart of any bulldog organisation