Phil Gould

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micko1979

Waterboy
Reaction score
Gould is probably one of the very few that realises a strong Bulldogs makes a strong NRL. So he is a bit harsh on us but only because he is probably beyond frustrated at watching us.....

Give me a league with a strong Souths, Bulldogs, Parra, Tigers and Dragons and see crowd numbers hit record levels.

Having Roosters, Storm, Sharks, Manly doing well does nothing for the game.....
This is so true. Although Panthers not Tigers for mine. But both are below the other four.

Souths and Saints have such great history and support. And Parra and Canterbury are loved or despised by everybody. If every other Sydney team folded the game would be strong as ever with just those four. If those four folded the game would never recover.

Dogzzz of War

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould is a degenerate gambler. You can work out who he has backed by his commentary.

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My view on Gus is he likes the dogs but for a few years has been exasperated with our style of play ... sound familiar ? He would fit in here at The Kennel ! Even when we win there are plenty of negative comments on here...

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danny Buderus was talking us up a bit during the game on Fox. Pointing out a some little efforts from a few players that usually go unnoticed.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould hated us with a passion for a long time, not many years ago we lost 38-0 in a game he was calling and at the end of the game he went ha,ha ha several times.
However it now appears that he has mellowed his hatred for our club in the last few years, the reasons could be that it might be because we are now cellar dwellers, or he now knows that there are plenty of other RL. personalities peddling hate against our club, which I suspect that they are probably trying to imitate him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
My view on Gus is he likes the dogs but for a few years has been exasperated with our style of play ... sound familiar ? He would fit in here at The Kennel ! Even when we win there are plenty of negative comments on here...
Hows this for a plot twist @Gotenks = Gould ???

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bulldogs- Hated and Proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love it, fuck em all.

But Gus is probably bitter after we gave him the ass, but definitely has respect for us.
I actually like Gus, would love to make him a lifetime member and GM of football operations.
He's probably the smartest and influential figure in the game.
Did wonders with Penrith, imagine what he could do with the most successful club of the modern era,
1980-present!
Fuck, I can't wait until we're THE powerhouse again. Hopefully we stay there for the next forty years..
I used to take a sign saying..

Loved by few,
Hated by many,
Feared by all.

Obviously that has years of dust on it now lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Reckon Greg Alexander is one of the most negative pricks I've heard towards the bulldogs. Comes across as arrogant as fuck..
I hate that pre-pubescent **** the most.

Still waiting for that cocksucker's voice to break.

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Reckon Greg Alexander is one of the most negative pricks I've heard towards the bulldogs. Comes across as arrogant as fuck..
Probably because we chose K Moore over him in the early 1980s. Apparently he was negotiating with us for a contract but P Moore said no. Someone on TK can confirm? Mr I?

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m sick of his biased against the dogs. His commentary is always against us what do you think?
The wound that eventually turned into hate has deep roots.

The incision starts at Newtown in 1982,Warren Ryan's biography briefly covers the loyalty issues and media altercations with some players,which included Gould.
In 1982,Newtown encountered financial pressures,the board sought in vain to find a suitable buyer for 'Newtown Leagues Club' and due to lack of financial resources,the club were unable to earn a stay of execution.These financial pressures forced Newtown out of the NSWRL Premiership at the end of 1983.

During 1982,Warren Ryan approached his senior players to renegotiate their Agreements and wage structure,as a desperate measure to keep the club afloat and team intact. J.Ferguson,M.Bugden,M.Graham,G.Ellis,D.Lance,R.Sigsworth,K.Wilson,C.Murphy,W.Newling and P.Kelly,based on the previous year's success,reluctantly agreed.
Warren Ryan,who was also a journalist at the time,for the Sydney Morning Herald and part of the ABC Saturday commentary team,eluded that P.Gould influenced M.Pitman to sign with the Bulldogs,M.Ryan with Easts,G.O'Grady with Saints,S.Bowden to retire and encouraged most of the rising stars to leave.

Warren Ryan was stood down from the ABC Saturday commentary team for derogatory comments he made against referees but he blames the outspoken Gould for inflating the incident through the media and causing problems with Newtown's board,which led to his resignation.

In 1983 Gould signed with Canterbury and cemented his place under Ted.Glossop as a ball-playing forward.In 1984 when Warren Ryan agreed to coach Canterbury,Gould suffered an injury in the first half of the season.Upon returning he never cemented his spot back and languished in reserves,until he left for Souths in 1986.He never played in the 1984-85 grand finals or selected for any representative honors.When Warren Ryan was asked about Gould,he said "he's not robust enough to rub shoulders with my tough forwards".Gould who was liked by Canterbury's management asked for an early release,but Warren refused to grant it.

In 1988 the Bulldogs employed Gould as coach,his only credentials were his leadership and coaching skills exhibited at Souths when he assisted G.Piggins to a Dally M coach of the year.Gould's main asset was his friendship with Peter Moore.In 1987,he participated and generated support in Moore's nomination for the Order of Australia award.When Darrell Eastlakes asked Gould about coaching at Canterbury on 'Wide World of Sports',Gould comments left Bulldogs fans speculating
"We will win premierships,without playing his negative brand of football" eluding to Ryan.
"I'm enjoying my stay at Canterbury but the mountains is were my heart is",referring to Penrith.
When favorite sons C.Mortimer and P.Kelly were snubbed and signed with Penrith,Belmore was up in arms.All was forgotten when Canterbury won the 1988 premiership.

In 1990,Gould left to coach Penrith and took P.Tunks with him.After Penrith won the 1991 grand final,Tunks made an unguarded comment,that the win had it's infancy in 1988.The 1988 bedded Canterbury suspicions resurfaced again.To add fuel to the fire,'Rugby league week' magazine and newspaper 'Sydney Daily Mirror' published articles titled 'Gould's master plan' and 'Bulldogs to Panthers' respectively,in which Lamb and Folkes made comments.

In 2014,the night Des Hasler secretly tried to lure JT back to Belmore.Dean Ritchie prematurely leaked the story,with an old photo in the back page of the Daily Telegraph,this turned JT off the Dogs.JT didn't want any disruptions at North Queensland who were preparing to mount a serious title challenge for 2015.
Gould approached Ayoub in a flash and a battle ensued with the Dogs.Gus,after lots of meetings came close to convincing Thurston to join the Panthers by offering great money,great opportunities with lots of support.Gus supported by James Packer offered JT after-football career opportunities in Sydney's big media corporates ,which included Channel Nine or Fox Sports.Des needed answers quickly because of commitments to potential signings.Gus didn't rush JT and gave him no deadline,giving him time to discuss his move with family,friends and the Cowboys.An out of sight war commenced,old wounds were reopened.Eventually after tossing it around for weeks Ayoub convinced JT to sign for 2015-16-17,highlighting the fact that he was happy and settled in Townsville and was thinking about starting a family.

Gus measures success based on premierships,he blames Canterbury for Penrith not reaching their targets.He gets very upset that after rebuilding a club that had no money,he overhauled a failed system that never took advantage of the biggest rugby league nursery in the country.Clubs like Canterbury under Des,had no intention of executing any youth development,no direction,no plans,robbed Penrith for stop-gap solutions and short term success.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He played for us and coached us and had a lot to do with bullfrog who would have had some wise advise to hand onto him which is the way he runs Penrith now a lot like the dogs
Bringing juniors through and no one is bigger then the club I would like to see him back at us

Status
Not open for further replies.