Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

sam snee

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Phil Gould is rugby league‘s version of a whore. Wasn’t that long ago he was in charge of Penrith, then he dipped his lid at the Dragons, then it was the Warriors and now the Bulldogs.
The same Phil Gould who warned Barrett not to take the Dogs coaching role. Penrith have thrived since he left. His review of the Dragons achieved Jack shit and how are the Warriors going ?
Gus is so overrated, it’s sickening
Some fans a hard to plz
End of the day real fans understand the significance of his signing he will attract elite players something we are currently struggling with,also has corporate and media connects pros out weigh the cons by a far Margin
We have the most successful nsw coach on board a fellow who played for us coached us to a grand final in his debut year and loves us already using the terms “we” “our” and “us”
Goodluck to him and things a looking on the up for the doggies !!! Go u dogs

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Oh Please. He sacked Graham Murray which was a disgrace and pushed for Stuart to get the job. As soon as Fittler retired, Stuart was found out, or did Gus stop overseeing Ricky in 2004 ?. He advised Barrett not to apply for the Dogs job. I just don’t rate him.
What are you going on about? Graham Murray had Fittler and couldn't win the comp. Stuart did. It was the right decision.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
So is Gus starting ASAP? Are we also ever going to know the length of contract?

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't 100% sold on this but it's done now. I do respect peoples opinion who are excited about it.

For him to succeed he needs a junior level coach which he has in Barrett.

The coaching saga at Penrith wasn't ideal, sack a coach, hire another one then bring back the one you already sacked and paid out.

His role will be different to Penrith, he doesn't need to focus on anything financial, purely football. We have good backing in the leagues club plus decent sponsors and others waiting to come on board.

He needs to focus on the junior pathways, helping with effective recruitment and mentoring Barrett.
I feel the same. Gus is a 2 edged sword but at least he has an aura about him which should help with recruitment and clearing out the deadwood in the roster and support staff. I expect all the players will be put on notice and a considerable improvement in their training. Any more ill discipline, behaviour and poor attitude and they will be out the door. I've been a supporter of TB but his recruitment of players who came over this year and assistant coaches and trainers have been terrible. Ironically only veteran Ava has performed up to standard which shows TB's policy of "no band aid solutions" doesn't work in the real world at every club. You need some old heads in your roster to lead by example on and off the field because our young players are not the same standard as the riff.

the_boy_wonder

Waterboy
Reaction score
I can’t see too many downsides. I reckon Gus will rabidly look for success just to make Cleary and Penrith look bad. The fact he loves the dogs as well makes this a great move.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hopefully this is finally the start of us progressing and becoming a top club again. Gould won't leave any stone unturned and he is going to have to make some very tough decisions. Going into 2022 with how our cap is in order there is no reason we should be fighting it out for the spoon again.

Khan00

Banned
Reaction score
Lol, JK isn’t my source, I don’t have a source. I’m just like everyone else on here mate. I wait for official announcements like the rest of us. JK doesn’t tell me anything confidential, and why should he. As long as he does a good job for our club then I don’t want to know anything.
Hahaha i think he got you there.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need to see a lot before his appointment is justified..
He is the most successful person in football alive that has been a GM.
He has won or succeeded at every level of the game as player, coach, director of football and GM of football.
I don’t understand what there is to justify when it’s proven success has followed him nearly everywhere he has gone.

Who can you justify giving the job to?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I also like is the fact someone of Gould’s caliber can get those signatures we require without paying massive overs. Having a name like Gould attached to the rebuild would pretty much be cherry ontop for players who are on the fence wanting a new contract. It looks like a lot of positives ahead and I’m excited
Atracting players to the club is about the only thing he could do, I dont think he could or even would improve the coaching.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Atracting players to the club is about the only thing he could do, I dont think he could or even would improve the coaching.
Being head of the football department you would think 100% he'll have a large say in which coaches are hired/fired

He'd be creating the football strategy/culture for the club moving forward.

It won't be just about attracting players

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is the most successful person in football alive that has been a GM.
He has won or succeeded at every level of the game as player, coach, director of football and GM of football.
I don’t understand what there is to justify when it’s proven success has followed him nearly everywhere he has gone.

Who can you justify giving the job to?
He is a winner

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould is rugby league‘s version of a whore. Wasn’t that long ago he was in charge of Penrith, then he dipped his lid at the Dragons, then it was the Warriors and now the Bulldogs.
The same Phil Gould who warned Barrett not to take the Dogs coaching role. Penrith have thrived since he left. His review of the Dragons achieved Jack shit and how are the Warriors going ?
Gus is so overrated, it’s sickening
Look at this bloke know your roll and shut your mouth

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
After years of various management taking turns at the controls of which way the club is headed, bit like my life actually, it would be good to have someone with his kind of experience, didn't think it would happen, been in the wilderness for a while.

Last edited: