Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What does a a General Manager of Football actually do - the club has coaches, recruitment officer, manager of pathways etc already - if nothing else Gould should be able to "network" the club more effectively.
When he talks footy he makes sense when tries to be funny he is embarrassing
Well he let slip and said he's in charge of everything before correcting himself lol.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After Being Bullied by the Media & the NRL for the last 20 odd years (if not longer), this finally gives us some Bullying power of our own.

He definitely has his flaws, but the positives with his appointment far out way the negatives.

Our club has instantly grown a big set of Cahooners over night... they just got bolted on.

I'm very happy with the appointment.

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Saints fans are still a pain, Chris.

It was the happiest day of my then 13 year life in 1967 when we beat saints at the old sports ground in the 2nd last round for our first win against them in my life. A few weeks later we knocked them out in the preliminary final when George Taylforth kicked that long range goal to win the game by a point.
Saints fans are still a pain, Chris.

It was the happiest day of my then 13 year life in 1967 when we beat saints at the old sports ground in the 2nd last round for our first win against them in my life. A few weeks later we knocked them out in the preliminary final when George Taylforth kicked that long range goal to win the game by a point.
I was at that game. One of the best games I’ve been to over the years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is the job at the club Gus has wanted for a long time.

Listening to Gus over the years tells you we’ve always been his favourite.

I’m paraphrasing here but I’m sure others would’ve heard -

“Every footballer should spend some time at The Dogs”

“ Football is in the walls at The Dogs”

“They are the marquee club of Sydney”

And you could see his disappointment when talking about the direction of the club over the last few years.

This is the gig he’s wanted for a long time. Once the wrong people (in his mind) we’re gone and the right people ( again in his mind) were in charge and he was guaranteed what he wanted, which wasn’t the money. - the money would always be there - it was what he said last night “ in charge of ALL things football” once those bricks were in place, this was a pretty easy decision for all concerned.

Hand and glove.
Having one dominant bloke in charge seems to work best for the Berries/Bulldogs.

We have many competing factions and a strong, decisive, competent decision maker seems our best solution to that.

Bullfrog kicked off our rise to the top during his era and we've languished down the bottom for several years recently as competing factions tore apart at the fabric of achieving a united club.

Not everyone likes the bloke but most acknowledge his influence and power in the game.

In that Dept we have the best there is to help change our fortunes towards success.

We have sunk so low and our new management were smart enough to recognise we needed the best, most influentual, well connected bloke out there to help them along in achieving success, for our club.

There was no other option out there big enough to immediately set us on the right path.

JK and all those concerned have done very well by the club. There will be ups and downs and no doubt puzzling decisions by Gould, but they have set in place the best possible solution to our footy troubles.

We've hit the ground running with Gus.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We probably need to cut him too tbh.
Still think he will end up being of good 1st grade standard. Once he can manage a game and kick well, then all the team needs is guns around him.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having one dominant bloke in charge seems to work best for the Berries/Bulldogs.

We have many competing factions and a strong, decisive, competent decision maker seems our best solution to that.

Bullfrog kicked off our rise to the top during his era and we've languished down the bottom for several years recently as competing factions tore apart at the fabric of achieving a united club.

Not everyone likes the bloke but most acknowledge his influence and power in the game.

In that Dept we have the best there is to help change our fortunes towards success.

We have sunk so low and our new management were smart enough to recognise we needed the best, most influentual, well connected bloke out there to help them along in achieving success, for our club.

There was no other option out there big enough to immediately set us on the right path.

JK and all those concerned have done very well by the club. There will be ups and downs and no doubt puzzling decisions by Gould, but they have set in place the best possible solution to our footy troubles.

We've hit the ground running with Gus.
Pretty good point. Maybe back in 1989 Bullfrog saw that in Gould and thought the same thing before appointing his son in law.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
His view might be more about providing opportunities rather than guarantees, I'd say he was critical that they cut him from the club rather than giving him a chance to fight and prove he could be good enough.
Gould will have a talk to him :grinning:

Reactions: ATT

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No one is perfect , but Gus obviously has contacts and influence in all facets of the game, and just by virtue of the fact he’s such an esteemed and highly regarded brain in footballing circleslends credibility to our cause ….welcome back Gus

Now can he please lean on the media and refs to start giving us fair go!

This is fair dinkum isn’t it?!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Pretty good point. Maybe back in 1989 Bullfrog saw that in Gould and thought the same thing before appointing his son in law.
Pretty good point yourself :grinning:

Maybe it wasn't all nepotism gone haywire after all.

Anyway it's sorted now.

Anyone see others at the club having their noses put outa joint by this decision?

Hope not.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould is rugby league‘s version of a whore. Wasn’t that long ago he was in charge of Penrith, then he dipped his lid at the Dragons, then it was the Warriors and now the Bulldogs.
The same Phil Gould who warned Barrett not to take the Dogs coaching role. Penrith have thrived since he left. His review of the Dragons achieved Jack shit and how are the Warriors going ?
Gus is so overrated, it’s sickening

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Phil Gould is rugby league‘s version of a whore. Wasn’t that long ago he was in charge of Penrith, then he dipped his lid at the Dragons, then it was the Warriors and now the Bulldogs.
The same Phil Gould who warned Barrett not to take the Dogs coaching role. Penrith have thrived since he left. His review of the Dragons achieved Jack shit and how are the Warriors going ?
There’s not exactly many out there with his credentials tosort out this shit fest. we’ve been in the wilderness since 2014, let alone time without premiership success. I hear what you’re saying, but the alternatives (the few there are) mustn’t be available.

Renegade

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I woke to the news and have to say I am really excited about this. He has the knowledge and influence to put us on the right path and bring us back to one of the top teams.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty good point yourself :grinning:

Maybe it wasn't all nepotism gone haywire after all.

Anyway it's sorted now.

Anyone see others at the club having their noses put outa joint by this decision?

Hope not.
I think the only people apprehensive about this appointment will people who are struggling in their roles or those who aren't adding a lot of value.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nah mate Trent Robinson, now that's overrated...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have some quotes from Gus about some of our players during dog games.

On Elliott. "What a stupid fucking ****"

On Renouf. "I thought Taumalolo switched jerseys at halftime and ran out in a dogs one".

On Hetherington. "I like him so much that I sent him to another club to play firstgrade instead of my club".

On Lewis. "I know his uncle and cousin"

On @Nasheed. "I look forward to him joining the squad next season, his experience growing up on the streets will be invaluable to some of the young kids coming through".

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think the only people apprehensive about this appointmant will people who are struggling in their roles or those who aren't adding a lot of value.
Another good point about appointing Gould.

He knows our internal rumblings and rivalries.

Another appointment may not know all the background of our club, yet Gus still prepared to tackle the hard yards of sorting it.