Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Gould said that Barrett shouldn't have taken at the Bulldogs & takes the GM of Football at the Bulldogs himself. I guess money changed his mind.

Actually I don't care, we need him desperately.
That was political.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took about 7
But also that involves turning the leagues club into a profit again which he did successfully
Leagues club won’t profit for a long time whilst we got covid lockdowns

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wow! What a massive step in the right direction! I have always been a gus fan, even if i don't like everything he says. He has the best understanding of the game out of any operator out there! He has a history with our club, and a connection to it that will bring out the best in both him, and our club.
We are moving and shaking, and back on our way to the top!

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The thing is Gould also bring business. His contacts list and the resources up his sleeve are second to none. It was Phil Gould that saved Penrith when they were in financial ruin and on the verge of collapse when he made one phone call to James Packers who kindly parted with near $10 mill to assist Gould in resurrecting the Panthers football club and team. That’s just one fine example of what Gould can do ..
Still paying off his gambling debts to the Packers. Plenty of people tell me his job coaching the Roosters was for big money but after salary deductions to pay back the Packers he hardly put food on the table.As far as I know he hasn’t bet since. Learnt his lesson. Got to big for his boots and lost big. Smart enough to change his ways. Coached the Roosters pretty much for free for 5 years.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does a a General Manager of Football actually do - the club has coaches, recruitment officer, manager of pathways etc already - if nothing else Gould should be able to "network" the club more effectively.
When he talks footy he makes sense when tries to be funny he is embarrassing

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am happy that Gus said he wants to develop juniors in our area for both boys and girls. We do have the talent in our area. Recently the Western Suburbs/Canterbury/Wiley Park public school zone won the Sydney East Regional Rugby League Championships and from that team of players won the NSWPSSA State Carnival. If we can build like Panthers did I would be over the moon!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So pumped with signing, he’s a great thinker and has some strong connections in the game...

This is very astute and kudos to JK for angling behind the scenes to make this happen.
Mate JK is the best thing to happen to our club. He’s a passionate Bulldogs supporter just like us and he’s a local boy from the area. He’s a very selfless man who doesn’t care at all about his own interests when it comes to the dogs. One thing people should know about JK is that from the outside looking in he seems out of his depth but behind the scenes he’s very shrewd and a mover. One thing is for sure, he’s not scared to put his balls on the line for the sake of the blue and whites.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What does a a General Manager of Football actually do - the club has coaches, recruitment officer, manager of pathways etc already - if nothing else Gould should be able to "network" the club more effectively.

Whilst building and developing a stronger junior pathway. Developing talent and finding talented juniors. He needs to recruit some young prospects like Reece Walsh or superstars to fill in our huge gaps in our FG team. I don't know how we missed the opportunity to sign up Latrell Mitchell when he was a teenager.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Have an early night, and this happens.

Good luck Gus, if you can turn the Pennies around from the basket case they were, getting us a premiership should be a snap.

Hopefully this also means a bit more respectful commentary from the rest of them (although I won’t hear it since I don’t watch Ch9)
Ch9 the preferred broadcaster now if you want Dogs news :grinning:

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is the job at the club Gus has wanted for a long time.

Listening to Gus over the years tells you we’ve always been his favourite.

I’m paraphrasing here but I’m sure others would’ve heard -

“Every footballer should spend some time at The Dogs”

“ Football is in the walls at The Dogs”

“They are the marquee club of Sydney”

And you could see his disappointment when talking about the direction of the club over the last few years.

This is the gig he’s wanted for a long time. Once the wrong people (in his mind) we’re gone and the right people ( again in his mind) were in charge and he was guaranteed what he wanted, which wasn’t the money. - the money would always be there - it was what he said last night “ in charge of ALL things football” once those bricks were in place, this was a pretty easy decision for all concerned.

Hand and glove.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he will be the de-facto CEO of the football operations and run everything with Warburton looking after the corporate side of things.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Indeed. Some of us go back to the early 1950s, when Belmore was an oval.
Watching the club's rise from nowhere to Grand Final was so exciting. We came alive with the rule change from unlimited tackles.
I was losing interest with the 11 straight premierships to St.George, and putting up with their painful fans; but the rule change to four tackles brought the dull game back to life.
Funny that the latest rule changes have landed us at the bottom.
Maybe Gus can help, but I'll reserve judgement until he has a chance to perform. Had my hopes dashed too many times in recent years.
Saints fans are still a pain, Chris.

It was the happiest day of my then 13 year life in 1967 when we beat saints at the old sports ground in the 2nd last round for our first win against them in my life. A few weeks later we knocked them out in the preliminary final when George Taylforth kicked that long range goal to win the game by a point.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bit like Robert DeNiro, was a brilliant actor and a natural hard man. When he tried to do comedy all he could do was pull that stupid '1 + 1 = 3 face'

077de106fe6b9049a454cbb0fe2bb2161f045fe7d845a1ee2a4a33f4a93037e8.jpg

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone who has criticised Phil’s appointment has not watched him as a player at the bulldogs nor watched the team play when he was the coach nor have they spoken with him privately. I have done all three and know what a massive benefit his return will prove to be.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate JK is the best thing to happen to our club. He’s a passionate Bulldogs supporter just like us and he’s a local boy from the area. He’s a very selfless man who doesn’t care at all about his own interests when it comes to the dogs. One thing people should know about JK is that from the outside looking in he seems out of his depth but behind the scenes he’s very shrewd and a mover. One thing is for sure, he’s not scared to put his balls on the line for the sake of the blue and whites.
He certainly has our attention now.