Official Phil Gould to be the Bulldogs' new General Manager of Football

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Think it’s fair to say he has turned 2 clubs from cellar dwellers to heavyweights challenging for the title. First easts in the 90s and then Penrith with the next club role he had. And he done so using the blueprint he learnt at Canterbury. It’s time for him to repay the club that taught him how to win.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I got the impression Brandy was positive about it tbh. Gus was like a defacto father to the Alexanders when he was coaching Penrith.

I don't know that T Baz will be sleeping easy though. I would be surprised if Gus hasn't already reached out to Bennett to see what his plans are for next year. I don't thing Barrett would get the arse just yet, but I could see Bennett there in a "mentor" role and Barrett not having the full power a head coach would normally have.
Doubt it. Gus loves him and will hopefully give him the support and guidance he needs. I reckon it has been a real challenge for Barrett to operate with the football manager role vacant. Onwards, upwards

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I got the impression Brandy was positive about it tbh. Gus was like a defacto father to the Alexanders when he was coaching Penrith.

I don't know that T Baz will be sleeping easy though. I would be surprised if Gus hasn't already reached out to Bennett to see what his plans are for next year. I don't thing Barrett would get the arse just yet, but I could see Bennett there in a "mentor" role and Barrett not having the full power a head coach would normally have.
I think Baz will be very happy to have him on board, sure he realises the current shitfight has to improve VASTLY next year and Gus can only help this be achieved.Smart enough to know he needs to perform though and doesn't get a free pass just because their besties...win win imo

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hansen will stick around?
I think he’s just there as a consultant so it shouldn’t hinder his ability to continue unless Gould says no which I think would be highly unlikely. Any help we can get is great and these two are up there as the best in the world in their chosen sports

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gus is worth taking a chance on and he'll only boost the profile of the club. He has a lot of connections with player managers and the media that will be a huge advantage.

I doubt he'll be in the position long term but hopefully he makes a huge impact however long he's in the role.

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is amazing news. Our club will return to greatness.

2thebone

Waterboy
Reaction score
He left us too early and now he is back to the mighty bulldogs for unfinished business.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Wow, this is huge news

This is a pivotal moment for the club and we can finally start to rise out of the absolute debacle and decline of the last 5 years

Congratulations to the board and powerbrokers at the club who made this happen. They didn't just settle for anybody for the role....they got the best man for the job...outstanding leadership

We now have the best General Manager of Football in the NRL bar none