Phil Gould reveals why Brad Fittler has turned a corner in NRL coaching

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Older article from August last year but gives interesting insight into Gould's opinion on Fittler.

Gould says Fittler had a problem understanding how "average" players think. How's he going to go from working with the top self motivated players to working with hopeless c..ts who can't even catch the ball ? That's what worries me.

Positives about Fittler are he can attract star players (but so could Barrett) and he's not frighten to drop underperforming players -unlike Barrett or our previous few coaches.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Older article from August last year but gives interesting insight into Gould's opinion on Fittler.

Gould says Fittler had a problem understanding how "average" players think. How's he going to go from working with the top self motivated players to working with hopeless c..ts who can't even catch the ball ? That's what worries me.

Positives about Fittler are he can attract star players (but so could Barrett) and he's not frighten to drop underperforming players -unlike Barrett or our previous few coaches.

Gus has been blowing Fittler’s trumpet since he took over from Anderson toward the end of the 2008 season.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would be surprised if its Freddy, I don't think he has what we need. I don't think he is the experienced NRL coach that Gus described. O still think we go Flanno. If Gus has Freddy in mind, he knows him well enough to build the coaching staff around him for us to be successful. Freddy has something to prove, if we get the right players and right assistant coaches, I reckon it could work. I think it is safer to go with Flanno. Gus will have huge balls to appoint Freddy- be a heck of story

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be surprised if its Freddy, I don't think he has what we need. I don't think he is the experienced NRL coach that Gus described. O still think we go Flanno. If Gus has Freddy in mind, he knows him well enough to build the coaching staff around him for us to be successful. Freddy has something to prove, if we get the right players and right assistant coaches, I reckon it could work. I think it is safer to go with Flanno. Gus will have huge balls to appoint Freddy- be a heck of story
I seriously think Flano is the only person for the job also. Only way Fittler could work is if he had assistants who really know their stuff like Ciraldo, Brentnall from the Storm or maybe John Morris.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

I'm more interested in a coach that can get wins. Couldn't care less if they will drop players, Baz did drop players where he could.

Fittler gets handed a team of superstars a few times a year. I could coach that team to a win. He doesnt have to recruit, just calls who he wants. He doesn't have to develop players either. Sure Walters is going ok, but don't forget he was a club legend at broncos, and he might have a clue when it comes to fg coaching. Also Broncos have a massive player pool up here to get young talent from.

There are some good club coaches who go well at origin like Bennett and Walters. But being an origin coach by itself doesn't make u a good club coach. It's a gamble to find out with Fittler. I think we gambled with enough rookie coaches in recent years and failed

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he is going to coach us he better know how average players think because we have many average players and I can't work out how the fu*k they think.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well he's going to have to coach plenty of average nrl players as Gould puts it if he wants to come here
Surely he wouldn’t give up his channel nine gig and coaching nsw to come to a struggling club at the dogs...it won’t happen...this is a smokescreen for another coach

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm more interested in a coach that can get wins. Couldn't care less if they will drop players, Baz did drop players where he could.

Fittler gets handed a team of superstars a few times a year. I could coach that team to a win. He doesnt have to recruit, just calls who he wants. He doesn't have to develop players either. Sure Walters is going ok, but don't forget he was a club legend at broncos, and he might have a clue when it comes to fg coaching. Also Broncos have a massive player pool up here to get young talent from.

There are some good club coaches who go well at origin like Bennett and Walters. But being an origin coach by itself doesn't make u a good club coach. It's a gamble to find out with Fittler. I think we gambled with enough rookie coaches in recent years and failed
So u really think someone like Bellamy could just turn our current squad into a quality team? Unfortunately success in the nrl is measured by the amount of wins a team has...but a good coach could be improving players but this improvement has a limit and also depends on the players potential...you could still be a good coach and not ever coach a team to a premiership