Phil Gould knocked back by Ben Hunt as Bulldogs search for a seven

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
For Hunt, I’m sure like most QLDers he can’t wait to go home. A few selling points if Gus really wants him. 1. Post career, offering him a coaching role either whole squad or halves coach, 2. Send him back to QLD and coach our Clydesdale feeder team, 3. Apparently he doesn’t want to play 9 at club level, we have a set No.9 and fellow QLDer in Mahoney. So he won’t need to play 9 at the Dogs.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess he would head back to QLD IF he was to leave, think he stays at the Drags though

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I love it when we're linked to a player and Joel McEvoy posts every two seconds asking has he signed yet? Why hasn't he signed yet? Fuck him for not signing.. But we should definitely sign him. I hope he signs.. Has he signed yet?
Then you have Omar telling players who don’t sign with us eventually to go fuck themselves and that they are flogs

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Just thinking if he did leave probably end up at fins with wayne and partner Katoa?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Seriously guys, he's 33 and in the twilight of his career. He's not the long-term answer for a halfback. Even having him at #7 for 1 year is 1 year off another 7 who could be a long-term answer.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously guys, he's 33 and in the twilight of his career. He's not the long-term answer for a halfback. Even having him at #7 for 1 year is 1 year off another 7 who could be a long-term answer.
yeah but haboob he will be our James Maloney type player to come in and teach the young ones that’s all we need for a year or two

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No they wont. Neither is a halfback.
Burton is an extremely gifted 22 year old , who can play anywhere in the back line, and will make a decent fist of the half back job if you give him time. Oloapu is an extremely gifted 18 year old, who is a natural 5/8, but young enough and good enough to develop into a gun half (the great JT was originally a 5/8). Factor in Joash Papali'i, who is not quite ready for first grade (he is still young enough to be playing Flegg), but is shaping up to be the best full back in the league in a couple of years. Joash could also be a gun half or 5/8 if he chose to be.

Why would we be interested in paying top dollar for Ben Hunt?

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Burton is an extremely gifted 22 year old , who can play anywhere in the back line, and will make a decent fist of the half back job if you give him time. Oloapu is an extremely gifted 18 year old, who is a natural 5/8, but young enough and good enough to develop into a gun half (the great JT was originally a 5/8). Factor in Joash Papali'i, who is not quite ready for first grade (he is still young enough to be playing Flegg), but is shaping up to be the best full back in the league in a couple of years. Joash could also be a gun half or 5/8 if he chose to be.

because what you just said all being young is our problem. We need a experienced player who talk and direct the team. Once a experienced player like hunt can teach our boys how to play eyes up footy then we will begin to ascend into the top 8. Till then if we don’t get someone experienced we will be waiting years for our young pups to get to the level of being a top tier team

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunt won’t leave dragons, how many stories did we get about X player was going to leave the dogs when Des was going. It’s just media beat up and dogs fan desperation.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
One of the lessons would be to not to drop a ball in golden point during a grand final.
That happened almost right in front of me, I’ll never forget it. I was late getting GF tickets that year and thought I ended up getting ordinary seats until the Hunt/Thurston thing defined the result. It was the same when Hershelle Gibbs dropped Steve Waugh in the 1999 Cricket World Cup Semi Final - both cost them the game and Australia went on to win the WC.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Nothing you said is correct. Burton is not good enough to play anywhere in the backline. KO is nowhere near the class of Thurston. Also Thurston grew up as a halfback not a 6. He only played 6 in the NRL because we had Sherwin.

You need to take off your blue & white goggles & join reality.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
because what you just said all being young is our problem. We need a experienced player who talk and direct the team. Once a experienced player like hunt can teach our boys how to play eyes up footy then we will begin to ascend into the top 8. Till then if we don’t get someone experienced we will be waiting years for our young pups to get to the level of being a top tier team
Exactly right.

Clearly not many tradesmen supporting the dogs…being in the halves is essentially an apprenticeship. You pick up the basics in the first 5 minutes and think “this is easy”. The thing is though, the hard part is learning what to do when shit doesn’t go perfect. That’s what takes time. Knowing how to fix a fuck up or how to turn a game when you are getting beat. That’s what you only learn from experience by experienced tradesmen….

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nothing you said is correct. Burton is not good enough to play anywhere in the backline. KO is nowhere near the class of Thurston. Also Thurston grew up as a halfback not a 6. He only played 6 in the NRL because we had Sherwin.

You need to take off your blue & white goggles & join reality.
I gave my opinion on Burton, you have a different opinion. That doesn't make either of us correct or incorrect.

JT might well be the best player ever to play the game, and at no point in my post did I draw any comparison between him and an 18 year old rookie. before making smart arse remarks about blue and white goggles and reality, why don't you learn to read?

Also it doesn't matter what JT did or didn't do as a junior - he played at 6 for Bulldogs reserves, and was regarded as a 14 for the first team, slotting into 6 or 7 depending on whether Sherwin or Anasta was unavailable on the day.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People are also forgetting about the raiders.
They are butthurt wighton rejected their 1.1mil offer.
There is no question in my mind that raiders are happy to pick up the tab and maybe even lump on an extra year.
Illawarra is next to Canberra so he doesn’t even need to mov house

we know they have a marquee halves spot vacant. We know they have the money.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I gave my opinion on Burton, you have a different opinion. That doesn't make either of us correct or incorrect.

JT might well be the best player ever to play the game, and at no point in my post did I draw any comparison between him and an 18 year old rookie. before making smart arse remarks about blue and white goggles and reality, why don't you learn to read?

Also it doesn't matter what JT did or didn't do as a junior - he played at 6 for Bulldogs reserves, and was regarded as a 14 for the first team, slotting into 6 or 7 depending on whether Sherwin or Anasta was unavailable on the day.
Yes you are incorrect. Burton can only play centre & 6 outside of a good half. He can't play fullback, wing or halfback at a good enough level like you claim.

Just because Thurston played 6 & 7 doesn't mean KO can.

Thurston only played 12 games his entire career off the bench for the Bulldogs. He actually started 5 games with both Sherwin & Anasta.

Thurston is nowhere near the best player ever.