Phil Gould ‘bandied about’ as Todd Greenberg successor at NRL HQ

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
GOULD OR BENNETT TO SUCCEED GREENBERG?

Matty Johns has revealed that Phil Gould and Wayne Bennett are being mentioned as potential replacements for NRL CEO Todd Greenberg.

Greenberg has been heavily criticised for overspending and mismanagement of NRL funds and is not expected to have his contract renewed beyond 2020.

“A name that is starting to be bandied about as a successor to Todd is Phil Gould,” Johns said on Fox League Live.

“Gus has been mentioned and Wayne Bennett’s name has also come up over the last 24 hours,” James Hooper replied.

“He has been there and done it at all levels of the game Gus and is certainly a highly intelligent bloke with skin in the game.

“It would be left-field and he would have to want to do it. You know him really well personally. Could you see Gus wanting to take on a challenge like that?”

“One thing about Gus that would suit the game is he is not a populist,” Johns replied.

“He sometimes says and does things that irritate people and get on people’s nerves and that doesn’t worry Gus at all.

“That is the sort of bloke you want in charge that is going to be able to back Peter V’landys up and make unpopular decisions sometimes for the betterment of the game.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/8d85b5b2f007fffe8f1e53f4634b62dd

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think Gould would be ideal. He's a talking head. Not much more. Bennett would be an even worse candidate. You only ever hear praise for Bennett. Rarely does it get pointed out that he talked his players into taking big paycuts at one stage while it was discovered he was taking a million dollars under the table from a mining magnate (from memory this information came to light when the magnates plane crashed).

I'd prefer to see someone like George Peponis have a shot at running the game. Both Gould and Bennett have no credentials aside from being among a few recognised old heads around the game.

At the end of the day I don't expect the NRL to have great leadership anytime soon. It seems obvious that powebrobers behind the scenes are complicit in pulling money out of the game that they shouldn't.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould doesn't really want to be CEO. He'd rather sit in his high horse from a distance and talk problems but never actual solutions.

Go back to your 5 year plan Gus.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I say duck it, why not. Can't hurt!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fuckin hell who the fuck thinks Skeletor would be good choice....get the fuck outta here.

Gould I'd give a bit more of a chance but still I'm not sold on him either.

But Wayne Bennett...now that's just having a laugh ain't it.

A

Alexander the Great

Im a big fan of Gus. I used to bump into him at last once a month. Always had time to stop for a chat. I think and a rugba league would be a great combo.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Definitely NOT Bennett. He is not a leader. He's camera shy as a coach for goodness sake, how can he be the head of our game?

Gould I will support because he will ensure things like shoulder charges and origin fights etc... will be legal... as they damn well should be.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
GOULD OR BENNETT TO SUCCEED GREENBERG?

Matty Johns has revealed that Phil Gould and Wayne Bennett are being mentioned as potential replacements for NRL CEO Todd Greenberg.

Greenberg has been heavily criticised for overspending and mismanagement of NRL funds and is not expected to have his contract renewed beyond 2020.

“A name that is starting to be bandied about as a successor to Todd is Phil Gould,” Johns said on Fox League Live.

“Gus has been mentioned and Wayne Bennett’s name has also come up over the last 24 hours,” James Hooper replied.

“He has been there and done it at all levels of the game Gus and is certainly a highly intelligent bloke with skin in the game.

“It would be left-field and he would have to want to do it. You know him really well personally. Could you see Gus wanting to take on a challenge like that?”

“One thing about Gus that would suit the game is he is not a populist,” Johns replied.

“He sometimes says and does things that irritate people and get on people’s nerves and that doesn’t worry Gus at all.

“That is the sort of bloke you want in charge that is going to be able to back Peter V’landys up and make unpopular decisions sometimes for the betterment of the game.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/8d85b5b2f007fffe8f1e53f4634b62dd
To be honest but would run footy good but I think Bennett plays favourites and Gould well I think he loves us, Bennett also rates us highly he told Eastwood and stagg and Ennis he should sign with a club like ours.. just don’t know how good hooper is

*at writing a story that’s actually true

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I personally could not see Bennett being a CEO, especially at his age.. just because you've had success with stacked teams does not mean you are CEO material

A

Alexander the Great

The fact he hates the media and already gives them minimum attention is already a red flag.
I personally could not see Bennett being a CEO, especially at his age.. just because you've had success with stacked teams does not mean you are CEO material

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The fact he hates the media and already gives them minimum attention is already a red flag.
Bennett? Bennett freaking loves the media and they've been one of his best weapons for a very long time

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Bennett has become a senile old hypocrite and would be a really poor choice moving forward.

Gould I have always hated however does seem to have a brain for it and could do some good. He would get rid of few stupid rules that made there way into the game I think however he is also prone to coming up with the odd really stupid idea too. In conclusion I would take Gould over Greenturd any day of the week.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont see Gould as being a team player. He wants it his way or the highway.
He has had about 6 goes at a 5 year plan and none of them eventuated. He has tried many times to rebuild teams and all have been failures.

A

Alexander the Great

He goes alright with the ladies tho.
Bennett has become a senile old hypocrite and would be a really poor choice moving forward.

Gould I have always hated however does seem to have a brain for it and could do some good. He would get rid of few stupid rules that made there way into the game I think however he is also prone to coming up with the odd really stupid idea too. In conclusion I would take Gould over Greenturd any day of the week.

A

Alexander the Great

Maybe not a bad thing. He isn't swayed easy and won't be forced to makes changes or go hard on things that gets a beat up in the media.

Same style is Rugba league from what I have seen from him.
I dont see Gould as being a team player. He wants it his way or the highway.
He has had about 6 goes at a 5 year plan and none of them eventuated.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Gus has got a good footy brain but fuck having him in charge, he is too far up Unca Nick and the Roosters arse as it is. Listen to him talk about the Roosters he fair-dinkum gets half a chubby whenever he mentions that club, it seems like he is closer to them than he is to "his club" Penrith.
Last thing this lopsided unfair comp needs is another bloke who gives Roosters preferential treatment. He would fill his NRL HQ board with Politis, Minichiello, Ricketson, Fitzgibbon and fucken bee-sting Robinson before you know it.
Not sure who would be a good candidate for NRL CEO, someone without bias would be great for starters.
Sterlo would be a pretty good figurehead for our game IMO, he would be smart enough to keep his Eels partiality out of his job. Tim Sheens would also go alright.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus has got a good footy brain but fuck having him in charge, he is too far up Unca Nick and the Roosters arse as it is. Listen to him talk about the Roosters he fair-dinkum gets half a chubby whenever he mentions that club, it seems like he is closer to them than he is to "his club" Penrith.
Last thing this lopsided unfair comp needs is another bloke who gives Roosters preferential treatment. He would fill his NRL HQ board with Politis, Minichiello, Ricketson, Fitzgibbon and fucken bee-sting Robinson before you know it.
Not sure who would be a good candidate for NRL CEO, someone without bias would be great for starters.
Sterlo would be a pretty good figurehead for our game IMO, he would be smart enough to keep his Eels partiality out of his job. Tim Sheens would also go alright.
Thank you for talking sense, and speaking the truth which is never popular not even on TK, I was particularly impressed with what you said about Gould, its funny how he has managed to fool so many who follow the game including many of our fans.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we should remove the CEO position entirely, then anytime a decision has to be made just post a poll on Twitter.