Petition Gus to Re-Sign Vaughan

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wants to go to England with his mate Dufty so cant see him back flipping

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I think the $ for Vaughan is too high to go to England to help his retirement and we are caught with too little cap space to accommodate him no matter how much we value him. By the time he hit form, we were already too far down the plan of accommodating development players for less coin as part of the overall team-talent-positions covered strategy.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whilst I'd like him to stay, He will have priced himself out of our budget . . . BBQs aren't cheap these days :tearsofjoy:

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whilst I'd like him to stay, He will have priced himself out of our budget . . . BBQs aren't cheap these days :tearsofjoy:
Not if we give them Thommo.
Bbqs are best in Australia. Home sickness.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not if we give them Thommo.
Bbqs are best in Australia. Home sickness.
If they are willing to pay the freight I'm happy for us to move Thommo on, But Vaughan isn't a long term prospect . . . 2 years max

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the $ for Vaughan is too high to go to England to help his retirement and we are caught with too little cap space to accommodate him no matter how much we value him. By the time he hit form, we were already too far down the plan of accommodating development players for less coin as part of the overall team-talent-positions covered strategy.
The Super League salary cap is less than half the NRL cap. The days of players going to the super league for a retirement payout are a thing of the past.

Money is not the reason Vaughan has gone. The only logical reason is we didn’t offer him a deal. I think Gus has got this wrong.

In regards to Thompson if he returns to England we would need to honour any gap in his contract. However it doesn’t count in the NRL cap. So if he is on $800k it would free up that space in our cap for next year.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Self inflicted but he didn't lose a bit of coin he lost a LOT..idk what $$ his contract this year with us was but the queens had him on 800k so he lost half of that maybe a bit more plus at least 300k probably more when sacked immediately around about halfway through season 2021(I don't recall exact timing)
700 grand gross and that's conservative.

As said and I said somewhere else too the Vaughan ship has sailed unfortunately but he has been great and will be for the next 5 weeks.

Last edited:

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The Super League salary cap is less than half the NRL cap. The days of players going to the super league for a retirement payout are a thing of the past.

Money is not the reason Vaughan has gone. The only logical reason is we didn’t offer him a deal. I think Gus has got this wrong.

In regards to Thompson if he returns to England we would need to honour any gap in his contract. However it doesn’t count in the NRL cap. So if he is on $800k it would free up that space in our cap for next year.
oh wow - then what am I missing when they do not sign Vaughan? Very confusing!

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus has proven himself to be one of the greatest minds in Rugby League history. Turned a garbage Penrith in to the NRLs elite team, and is currently in the process of turning the Dogs back into a powerhouse.
He rarely makes the wrong decision, but I seriously think not Re-Signing Vaughan is a mistake.
we need to start a petition for this.
Maybe Vaughan chose the UK and extra years/dollars.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh wow - then what am I missing when they do not sign Vaughan? Very confusing!
Exactly! As soon as Ryan Sutton was signed Vaughan’s future with us was sealed. Unfortunately Ryan Sutton is a second grader and a massive down grade on Vaughan. Gus has dropped the ball on his middle options for next year.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly! As soon as Ryan Sutton was signed Vaughan’s future with us was sealed. Unfortunately Ryan Sutton is a second grader and a massive down grade on Vaughan. Gus has dropped the ball on his middle options for next year.
TPJ, King, Sutton, Thompson, Pele, Tsirikis, Patolo, Makatoa… how many more do we need? agree i’d prefer vaughan over a few of the ones listed, but we’ve got plenty of options

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TPJ, King, Sutton, Thompson, Pele, Tsirikis, Patolo, Makatoa… how many more do we need? agree i’d prefer vaughan over a few of the ones listed, but we’ve got plenty of options
Maybe 2 or 3 maximum from that list are first grade quality. Definitely need 1-2 more quality props to join the rotation