Petero Civoniceva

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The feel good story of the rugby league world cup. One of the toughest forwards of the modern game, Civoniceva played 33 origins for queensland and 45 tests for australia and now the 37 year old will captain his home country fiji in the rugby league world cup to ultimately end his wonderful career. He moved to Australia at the age of six months as his parents wanted better opportunity for him and now according to Petero "I get the opportunity to thank them for that and that is obviously to honour my heritage and learn more about it". Forget about the hype surrounding the burgess boys or Italy's minichello brothers and the absence of kiwi sensation benji marshall or the shock inclusion of SBW, Petero Civoniceva should be the main headline of the world cup.

Ndawai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a fellow Fijian and like him came to Australia when I was barely 1, I commend him giving back to his heritage. Playing for Fiji from a Fijians point of view is the pinnacle of honours and makes for great conversations around the kava bowl!

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Well said. I hate most Queenslanders but Petero (along with four or five more that aren't relevant in this thread) is a Queenslander that I've always liked.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How can we get these players to play for these nations in there prime and not pick Australia and origin over ever urging else?

What if test matches get played during the origin period and players get payed just as much as they do for origins, not one of matches 3 way test matches so the money is equivalent.

Maybe the international rugby league should fund it. Australia wouldn't be number one for to much longer

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol the RLIF would go broke if they paid players $20,000 per game. The new State of origin eligibility rules will definitely help the other countries.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lol the RLIF would go broke if they paid players $20,000 per game. The new State of origin eligibility rules will definitely help the other countries.
Definitely the origin eligibility rules help other countries and improve the quality of the world cup.

DOGGIESSTYLE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously don't like the eligibility rules, it should be once you have played for one country you cannot play for any other country, how great would it be seeing players like Hayne sticking with Fiji instead of switching back and forth, it makes the international game look like a joke.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Seriously don't like the eligibility rules, it should be once you have played for one country you cannot play for any other country, how great would it be seeing players like Hayne sticking with Fiji instead of switching back and forth, it makes the international game look like a joke.
Well how often can those players who are born here play for their parents country? I think its okay for Australia born players who don't get picked for Australia to play for their parents country when the opportunity arises, plus SOO and Aus vs NZ test matches come up every year unlike one off test matches with smaller nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.