Peter V'landys flags move to new Liverpool stadium for Bulldogs and Wests Tigers

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why should we get penalised and have to share a ground with the Tiggers because the Tiggers can’t decide which of their two fields they’ll call home?

Fuck that. Liverpool is ours, we own the land. Tiggers already play at home in four Sydney locations, piss off to giving them a fifth.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By Brett Graham

Australian Rugby League Commission boss Peter V'landys says he wants a new Bankwest-style stadium to be built at Liverpool, naming both the Bulldogs and Tigers as potential tenants.

The New South Wales state government has decided to reallocate more than $800 million in funding that was originally earmarked to upgrade Stadium Australia, with the money to instead be spent on suburban grounds.

Penrith, Brookvale and Kogarah are at the top of the list, with V'landys hopeful work could start in 2022.

"I think we can lock this in," V'landys told Radio 2GB's Ben Fordham.

"As you know there was $800 million set aside to upgrade ANZ (Stadium Australia), that's not going to happen, there will be some funds go to ANZ but the majority will be spent on suburban stadiums, the government has committed to doing business cases for three of them – Brookvale, Penrith and Kogarah.

"They will do that and once they complete (that), and I'm sure they'll be positive, they'll make announcements as to what grounds will be done.

"Hopefully, construction could start within the next 12 months."

While Penrith appears to be the front-runner to re-built first, V'landys explained that any of the three could be the first cab off the rank.

"We haven't decided that, that's a discussion between us and government, I'm not discounting any of them," he said.

While three existing grounds have been nominated for a re-build, V'landys also threw up the possibility of a new ground.

"We also want one out in Liverpool where we can have the Bulldogs and possibly the Tigers," he said.

"By the time the strategy is finished, New South Wales and Sydney should have some of the best sporting facilities anywhere in the world, and we deserve them."

Currently the Bulldogs play out of Bankwest and Stadium Australia, but a move to Liverpool has been touted for decades, as has a return to their spiritual home at Belmore.

The club investigated the possibility of building a stadium at Liverpool in the late-1990's, a move that was abandoned when club legend Steve Mortimer became CEO in 2002.

The Bulldogs Leagues Club already owns a site on the Hume Highway at Liverpool, adjacent to the Whitlam Leisure Centre.

The Tigers situation is even more complex. This season their Sydney home games are split between Leichhardt Oval (three matches in 2021), Campbelltown (three matches) Bankwest Stadium (three matches) and Stadium Australia (one match).

With the Balmain faction unlikely to support a full-time move to Campbelltown, and the Wests side of the joint venture similarly opposed to more games at the run-down Leichhardt Oval, a 'neutral' venue at Liverpool could be the ideal way to solve the impasse and get the club a state of the art home ground.

"The suburban stadium strategy is the right one, you want people walking to the grounds, and more importantly you want to keep the money in the local economy, you want the restaurants and the cafes to benefit from having that stadium in their local precinct," V'landys said.

"It also serves other sports and schools and the theatre. It's a very valuable asset for every community."
They should call it something like Oasis

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lease some home games to the Tigers to help justify government involvement and funding

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If it’s built on the land the club owns then surely it will be a money spinner if things go the right way for the club (bars and entertainment etc)
If only we knew or had a licensed venue Baron to get on board and build a before and after game watering hole :p

Not sure if the council will allow a leagues club but I can’t see them being against a pub 8-)

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
yeah but it will stink of merger
That’s precisely what I was thinking.
What’s PVL’s real/long term motive?
The Canterbury Balmain Bulldogs?
The Balmain part of the Wests Tigers have nothing in the armoury - would they ultimately be dissolved and the play is some Western Sydney super club of the Magpies and Bulldogs? Not sure I could ever accept a different brand - must’ve been hard for Magpies fans in particular. Northern Eagles failed and Illawarra exist by name only - it’s all St. George. I’d want to know if there’s more to this than just a potential new stadium.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If only we knew or had a licensed venue Baron to get on board and build a before and after game watering hole :p

Not sure if the council will allow a leagues club but I can’t see them being against a pub 8-)
The Bulldog Arms (a Laundy Hotel) 8-).

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Liverpool is a shit hole but I'm all for it if it means we get a stadium like BankWest & more revenue incoming for the club
Live near Liverpool, parts are shit but it is rapidly changing n growing. Eventually will gentrify, the mall area is a bit of a freak show at times, the CCTV would have some entertaining video.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phark Liverpool, why should kogarah get an upgrade but not belmore , scrap kogarah , they have the gong as well, belmore is just so obvious it is all set up there, train station etc

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Tigers won’t use the ground much if they have to share between Campbelltown & Leichhardt their spiritual homes. Maybe 4 games max at liverpool and we’ll play at least 8 or 9 it will be our home ground.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phark Liverpool, why should kogarah get an upgrade but not belmore , scrap kogarah , they have the gong as well, belmore is just so obvious it is all set up there, train station etc
there are just limitations at Belmore as it is crammed between houses at one end and the railway line on the other

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
there are just limitations at Belmore as it is crammed between houses at one end and the railway line on the other
That’s always been the problem it’s hard to build a decent stadium style seating.

MirandaDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Walking distance from Liverpool station. Until the Metro is built, it will be on the same line that serves the Bankstown line - after the Metro, it will require Metro to Bankstown, train (or bus) to Regents Park, train to Liverpool. I think they call it progress.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was talk years ago they would change or switch the way the ground ran