News Peter Sterling says Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan's career is at a crossroads after being hooked

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The argument that Flanno will shine next year when we have star players coming in doesn't hold. The Chook's attack last year were heavily dependent on Keary. When he got injured Flanno wasn't capable of leading the team and couldn't create tries or linebreaks despite being surrounded by superstars, rep players and having one of the top coaches in the NRL.
That is a red flag and the reason why the Chooks let him go because they had someone far better in Sam Walker coming up. This year Keary and Lam are out injured for the season and Walker has shown what a real HB plays like. He is in a far more difficult situation than what Flanno faced last year. Walker has no senior playmakers on the field to help him unlike Flanno who had Keary beside him and yet still produced next to nothing however Walker is already one of the best HB in the comp alongside DCE and Cleary.
Flanno needs to completely revamp his whole game. Unlearn the structured crap he's been chained to and learn the basics of how to play like a real HB, i.e develop a running game, take on the line, isolate and attract defenders, count from 1 to 13 in real time, learn how and when to kick and pass properly, etc. He currently does not do any of this.
Lol the last bit of what you wrote is kind of scary. It pretty much sums up and footballer on the field who isn’t a half…. So maybe he just needs to find a new job?
On a serious note… what you said I agree with. I watched him last year thinking this kid isn’t good atall. And wasn’t surprised to hear the roosters gave him the flick. Then when we announced we got him I was so gobsmacked…. I then gave hope he could be better then what we have and maybe turn to be a good buy but that’s all gone now… the kid won’t see many grade games unfortunately and I think he’ll ask for a release next year when we sign a veteran half to help Burton.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lol the last bit of what you wrote is kind of scary. It pretty much sums up and footballer on the field who isn’t a half…. So maybe he just needs to find a new job?
On a serious note… what you said I agree with. I watched him last year thinking this kid isn’t good atall. And wasn’t surprised to hear the roosters gave him the flick. Then when we announced we got him I was so gobsmacked…. I then gave hope he could be better then what we have and maybe turn to be a good buy but that’s all gone now… the kid won’t see many grade games unfortunately and I think he’ll ask for a release next year when we sign a veteran half to help Burton.
He just might be paired with Wrighton or Brooks next year depends which current coach gets the flick first.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this era of halves is the weakest of the last 50 years which explains why rookie Sam Walker with only a few games is #2 in the comp only behind Jerome Luai in terms key metrics such as try assists etc. If Sam had played from the start of the year he'll be #1 by a big margin.
Sam's dad and uncle were both Origin players and now coaching in the Qld comp so he's had a head start. He plays like a HB from the 80's (the most competitive decade of halves - Mortimer, Sterlo, Hastings, Langer, Gale, Blake, Tommy, Freeman etc) in that he is a natural HB that plays what's in front of him. He responds to situations or makes things happen - a skill that is beyond Flanno.
Most of today's halves play like robots and limited to set plays and block plays. I was one of the few on TK against signing Flanno and preferred an old head like Benji although past his prime he's way better than Flanno and can create tries, line breaks etc.
We only signed Flanno out of desperation because our other halves Lewis and Wakeham are crap. Now we have 3 crap halves and more cap space wasted.
I think you're right - we need a veteran half to help Burton next year preferably one can read the play and know how to count from 1 to 13 under game pressure. The other alternative is for TB to trust Burton and give him free reign to control the team much like coach Murray did with Thurston at Nth Qld. TB didn't play in the era of block plays and its about time we abandon that sh#tty, predictable style of play.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am definitely very underwhelmed by what I see in him so far. His career is definitely at a crossroads.

I am just not sure Lewis is the answer. He has had enough goes. Plus he is off contract next year whereas Flanno still has 2 years to go.

To be brutally honest I am worried that next year will be slightly better but unless we sort out the halves we won’t go close to the 8. Burton will be great but Averillo and Flanagan are both a long way off being regular first grade halves.

Burton may end up having to play both sides of the field similar to Walker at the roosters.
I think you may be forgetting, but our win rate with lewis is pretty good.

We need someone with his attitude in the team. Thats the primary issue.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think this era of halves is the weakest of the last 50 years which explains why rookie Sam Walker with only a few games is #2 in the comp only behind Jerome Luai in terms key metrics such as try assists etc. If Sam had played from the start of the year he'll be #1 by a big margin.
Sam's dad and uncle were both Origin players and now coaching in the Qld comp so he's had a head start. He plays like a HB from the 80's (the most competitive decade of halves - Mortimer, Sterlo, Hastings, Langer, Gale, Blake, Tommy, Freeman etc) in that he is a natural HB that plays what's in front of him. He responds to situations or makes things happen - a skill that is beyond Flanno.
Most of today's halves play like robots and limited to set plays and block plays. I was one of the few on TK against signing Flanno and preferred an old head like Benji although past his prime he's way better than Flanno and can create tries, line breaks etc.
We only signed Flanno out of desperation because our other halves Lewis and Wakeham are crap. Now we have 3 crap halves and more cap space wasted.
I think you're right - we need a veteran half to help Burton next year preferably one can read the play and know how to count from 1 to 13 under game pressure. The other alternative is for TB to trust Burton and give him free reign to control the team much like coach Murray did with Thurston at Nth Qld. TB didn't play in the era of block plays and its about time we abandon that sh#tty, predictable style of play.
Don't think Marshall is the answer, he does some good things in a good team, he's not a game winner though, just does some nice things which don't amount to a win.

eman & the Utai SLAM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am not prepared to write him off either. Of course he has a lot of work to do but he has a fair bit going against him :

1. Diabolical service from dummy half ;
2. An inexperienced five eighth ;
3. No creativity in the fullback position ;
4. A forward pack that gets smashed every week ;
5. Not much pace in the outside backs ;
6. Continually getting dominated in possession because 75% of our blokes cant hold the fuckin ball

There's not many 22 year old halfbacks that could deal with the above.

I would be punting a lot of blokes before him. In order :

Katoa
Waddell
Hopoate
C. Smith
Averillo (I would put him at centre)
Agreed with your post but the fact you forgot to mention Napa...?!?

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2021 is Flanagan's baptism by fire and he either melts and slinks back to the Sharks or a halfback with some steel is forged
Personally I hope he goes to reggies for a couple of weeks and learns to renew his confidence come back to FG harden up and next year tear the comp apart with true halfback style.