News Peter Sterling says Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan's career is at a crossroads after being hooked

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More importantly, shouldn't Barrett...a representative half and the fucking teams Coach be able to give Kyle advice as to wtf he is doing wrong and wtf he could be doing better? Seriously the numb nuts that write this trash. No doubt it will get interesting at training this week.
Trent needs to fire the fuck up so that the team fires up....yesterday they played directionless, they looked disinterested, had no plan in attack.
Seriously, I thought I was watching Des ball again. Where's the fullback chiming in?, why has Elliot gone to sleep, why did Smith play edge and Waddell centre when their skill sets are opposite to the position they played in.
Does the team actually do any video work on the opposition? Is there a game plan? Is there any defensive plan?...because there doesn't appear to be one.
Totally agree mate T.B is the person to help Kyle and the boys
To be honest I’m at a loss to work out what’s going on anymore,I’ll just keep attending home games and hope things get better.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There is a lot of negativity on here against Flannagan and to those that think he is not worthy to play in our side, I suggest you go, pull on a jersey and offer your services to T Baz. We'll sit back and see how you go.
I’m usually with you on the negativity and couch experts but there is also a lot of constructive feedback here. Flanno needs confidence back and to work on fundamentals. Other clubs would drop him but it’s not like we have a plethora of halves waiting in the wings like the roosters or other teams. I’d give him three more games and then blood a young bloke

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will prove if he is a man or a mouse.

A man would up his game to get his spot back, a mouse would kick stones.
2021 is Flanagan's baptism by fire and he either melts and slinks back to the Sharks or a halfback with some steel is forged

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats fair, but at the same time when we are in a good spot, he kills the momentum. If we saw him capitalise on something good once or twice a game, then fair enough.

But he hasnt done that once. Lewis made a big difference in our go forward, but unfortunately our players were too lazy to back it up. But at least we saw him do halfback things, flanny doesnt.
I am definitely very underwhelmed by what I see in him so far. His career is definitely at a crossroads.

I am just not sure Lewis is the answer. He has had enough goes. Plus he is off contract next year whereas Flanno still has 2 years to go.

To be brutally honest I am worried that next year will be slightly better but unless we sort out the halves we won’t go close to the 8. Burton will be great but Averillo and Flanagan are both a long way off being regular first grade halves.

Burton may end up having to play both sides of the field similar to Walker at the roosters.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree 100% but surly Trent Barrett, Should take some of the blame, I mean where are the game plans the set moves, you would think that Tbaz who was the attack coach for Penrith by now after nine rounds should be working with Flannagan, Averillo, Lewis and Wakem and teaching them how to add pressure with their kicking games, They all seem to have the same one dimensional predictable kick , Straight up and down that is as effective as an ashtray on a motor bike, I don't think that I've seen one grubber kick that has landed in goal once this year & what about support play to the forwards or taking on the line, What does Barrett & his Defense coach, his Conditioning coach & his Motivation coach teach these guys at training because we are up to round Ten and nothing changed from round one in fact if anything we are progressively getting worse.
Flannigan can consider himself lucky because if Ricky Stewart, or Craig Bellami were the coach and he would have put that kick out on the first tackle in their red zone he would have been hooked right away and wouldn't see first grade again for a long long time.
The four dud halves you mentioned can't even run to the line and isolate defenders. Avo who was supposed to be our running 5/8 just kicks the ball on the last. I would think that TB would spend time with the halves and they are just crap. Can't imagine him not even spending any time with them since he was a gun half in his era. Our halves are bottom of the barrel compared to Sam Walker who has created more tries and shown more talent in only a handful of games than all our halves combined in their careers.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am definitely very underwhelmed by what I see in him so far. His career is definitely at a crossroads.

I am just not sure Lewis is the answer. He has had enough goes. Plus he is off contract next year whereas Flanno still has 2 years to go.

To be brutally honest I am worried that next year will be slightly better but unless we sort out the halves we won’t go close to the 8. Burton will be great but Averillo and Flanagan are both a long way off being regular first grade halves.

Burton may end up having to play both sides of the field similar to Walker at the roosters.
>"Burton may end up having to play both sides of the field similar to Walker at the roosters."
Absolutely. We have to give Burton free reign and build our side and strategy around him. Just like coach Murray did with Thurston at the Cowboys. Thurston wasn't bogged down with block plays and predictable passes out the back. Murray backed Thurston from day 1 and the rest is history.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be honest, it's never a good idea to buy a bloke who has been let go from his current club.

Burton is different because Penrith clearly want him.

Flanno was never really convincing at the chooks.

The only thing that can save him is if his old man signs on as coach once his suspension finishes. We can hide him around good players that Shane Flannagan will be able to attract.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Let's be honest, it's never a good idea to buy a bloke who has been let go from his current club.

The only thing that can save him is if his old man signs on as coach once his suspension finishes. We can hide him around good players that Shane Flannagan will be able to attract.
Flanagan can play a lot better than he has the last 5 rounds.
Our shit forward pack doesn't help but it's up the coaches to help him. He can play better.
Also he is signed for 2021, 2022 & 2023 so the club has to make it work or next thing we will be saying we are buggered until 2024 like we have the last 4 seasons.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The kick out on full on tackle one.. when we were in their red zone .. was one of the worst plays ive seen from an NRL halfback..

Bad execution aside it was completely the wrong play..
That alone was worth being hooked for, absolutely disgraceful footballing.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan can play a lot better than he has the last 5 rounds.
Our shit forward pack doesn't help but it's up the coaches to help him. He can play better.
Also he is signed for 2021, 2022 & 2023 so the club has to make it work or next thing we will be saying we are buggered until 2024 like we have the last 4 seasons.
Need to get shane flannagan to coach. Might be all worth it. He'll build a team that will hide Kyle's shortcomings. And he has many shortcomings

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For me the most irritating part about watching Flanagan is his decision making. Whenever Flanagan has the decision to give the ball short to the runner hitting the hole or to use the runner as a decoy and go for the ball in behind, he makes the wrong decision every time. Legitimately, every single time he makes the wrong call. It doesn't help that our players run the ball like powder puffs but still, he stiffles the attack every fucking time.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

in general, it is a worry when a club releases a player but context is also needed... the Tigers, for example, had Papenhuyzen and Addo-Carr under contract and let them walk out to the Storm having played a combined 10 FG games... but with all due respect, the Tigers management is poor... we let Thurston go and he went on to have an almost immortal level career but we had serious salary cap pressures and were bleeding players during that period and had Sherwin and Anasta under contract

that it was the Roosters that were dumping Flanagan after one year though was worrying considering just how much right the Roosters have done over the last decade

I guess I simply hoped that it was a question of Flanagan not being a good fit or wanting to make Keary the focus of the attack or salary cap pressures or simply recognising what they had with Sam Walker

hopefully, this is all fire for Flanagan to succeed... most of these players dominate in the juniors and Flanagan would have also benefited from being Shane Flanagan's son... what would he know thus far about struggling, about being dropped or hooked or released until recently, about overcoming hardship? he has likely been on easy street his whole life

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't his old man give him some decent coaching ?. He's got plenty of time on his hands FFS

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
in general, it is a worry when a club releases a player but context is also needed... the Tigers, for example, had Papenhuyzen and Addo-Carr under contract and let them walk out to the Storm having played a combined 10 FG games... but with all due respect, the Tigers management is poor... we let Thurston go and he went on to have an almost immortal level career but we had serious salary cap pressures and were bleeding players during that period and had Sherwin and Anasta under contract

that it was the Roosters that were dumping Flanagan after one year though was worrying considering just how much right the Roosters have done over the last decade

I guess I simply hoped that it was a question of Flanagan not being a good fit or wanting to make Keary the focus of the attack or salary cap pressures or simply recognising what they had with Sam Walker

hopefully, this is all fire for Flanagan to succeed... most of these players dominate in the juniors and Flanagan would have also benefited from being Shane Flanagan's son... what would he know thus far about struggling, about being dropped or hooked or released until recently, about overcoming hardship? he has likely been on easy street his whole life
The argument that Flanno will shine next year when we have star players coming in doesn't hold. The Chook's attack last year were heavily dependent on Keary. When he got injured Flanno wasn't capable of leading the team and couldn't create tries or linebreaks despite being surrounded by superstars, rep players and having one of the top coaches in the NRL.
That is a red flag and the reason why the Chooks let him go because they had someone far better in Sam Walker coming up. This year Keary and Lam are out injured for the season and Walker has shown what a real HB plays like. He is in a far more difficult situation than what Flanno faced last year. Walker has no senior playmakers on the field to help him unlike Flanno who had Keary beside him and yet still produced next to nothing however Walker is already one of the best HB in the comp alongside DCE and Cleary.
Flanno needs to completely revamp his whole game. Unlearn the structured crap he's been chained to and learn the basics of how to play like a real HB, i.e develop a running game, take on the line, isolate and attract defenders, count from 1 to 13 in real time, learn how and when to kick and pass properly, etc. He currently does not do any of this.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The argument that Flanno will shine next year when we have star players coming in doesn't hold. The Chook's attack last year were heavily dependent on Keary. When he got injured Flanno wasn't capable of leading the team and couldn't create tries or linebreaks despite being surrounded by superstars, rep players and having one of the top coaches in the NRL.
That is a red flag and the reason why the Chooks let him go because they had someone far better in Sam Walker coming up. This year Keary and Lam are out injured for the season and Walker has shown what a real HB plays like. He is in a far more difficult situation than what Flanno faced last year. Walker has no senior playmakers on the field to help him unlike Flanno who had Keary beside him and yet still produced next to nothing however Walker is already one of the best HB in the comp alongside DCE and Cleary.
Flanno needs to completely revamp his whole game. Unlearn the structured crap he's been chained to and learn the basics of how to play like a real HB, i.e develop a running game, take on the line, isolate and attract defenders, count from 1 to 13 in real time, learn how and when to kick and pass properly, etc. He currently does not do any of this.
fair enough

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Can't his old man give him some decent coaching ?. He's got plenty of time on his hands FFS
Maybe that's why he has NFI because the drug cheating fraud is coaching him.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hence some of us on here were against this signing from the start...

Like Crapa, the roosters made them look like FG players when they clearly aren't.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hence some of us on here were against this signing from the start...

Like Crapa, the roosters made them look like FG players when they clearly aren't.
Great minds think alike. My brother is a long time Chooks fan so I watch their matches when they're on tv. It was obvious last year Flanno wasn't up to it. He's a robot and can't think for himself. The Dogs should hire some of us as recruitment officers because we can't do any worse than the current mob.