News Peter Sterling says Canterbury Bulldogs halfback Kyle Flanagan's career is at a crossroads after being hooked

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate passionate supporters love the club... commercial realities of being the worst ever side in a competitive environment...agree unfair Flanno but welcome professional sport.. I like the kid but fark... love the club..
Benno I have been following the team since 1960 and have never even had a "second" favourite team. I am totally cut with what we have had to endure over the last six years, alas we as fans have no control over how the team performs (or fails to). Because there are so many variables I don't think anyone can pinpoint any one reason for our lack of success.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Definitely not looking good lol.!

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Benno I have been following the team since 1960 and have never even had a "second" favourite team. I am totally cut with what we have had to endure over the last six years, alas we as fans have no control over how the team performs (or fails to). Because there are so many variables I don't think anyone can pinpoint any one reason for our lack of success.
Full respect to you mate, and Ive followed teams fortunes for a long time as well.. but the object of the site is for supporters to vent if they feel to...I have no doubt that some of the commentators on here are right... tbaz should have hooked this kid earlier than round 8 his ego is little inflated and building evrything around him is exposing him to this criticism... his game is not up to that... so we need to balance but mate he’s been badly exposed... if it was boxing ....

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got flamed on the TK for it but I said last year when we signed Flanno that the Chooks released him because he wasn't up to their standard and they had a young HB in reserves yet to play first grade who was far better. As my brother is a long time chooks fan I watched a fair few of their games last year and it was clearly obvious that Flanno had no running game, did not threaten the opposition when he had the ball and was limited to premeditated football and telegraphed passes. EVERYONE at the Chooks knew that Sam Walker was the real deal and Flanno was far below him in ability.
Now we know that… well some… a lot are still in denial

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
I am not prepared to write him off either. Of course he has a lot of work to do but he has a fair bit going against him :

1. Diabolical service from dummy half ;
2. An inexperienced five eighth ;
3. No creativity in the fullback position ;
4. A forward pack that gets smashed every week ;
5. Not much pace in the outside backs ;
6. Continually getting dominated in possession because 75% of our blokes cant hold the fuckin ball

There's not many 22 year old halfbacks that could deal with the above.

I would be punting a lot of blokes before him. In order :

Katoa
Waddell
Hopoate
C. Smith
Averillo (I would put him at centre)
Atoni, thompson, ava and ogden absolutely smashed st merge and Katoa actually played decent for the first 25 mins yet Flanno had his worst game of the year. He is far from the only problem, but enough excuses, the kid is shit.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I think the kicking game of halves is a very good indication upon the ability of the player. Even if there is no momentum from the forward's the kicking game should be evident if the half is ok. As the saying goes, "A good kick can turn a bad set of six into a good one".

I was hoping to wait until 2022 to pass judgement on the kid but he is making it hard not to form an opinion.

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am not prepared to write him off either. Of course he has a lot of work to do but he has a fair bit going against him :

6. Continually getting dominated in possession because 75% of our blokes cant hold the fuckin ball

Katoa
Waddell
Hopoate
C. Smith
Yes. But what about his attacking kicks , they are dreadful. Go forward doesn’t effect that near the line.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That... and he will take a share of the ball away from Burto. Plus he wants a longer term deal and has huge injury concerns. I don’t understand why some don’t see the similarities to the Foran deal.
I don’t think he has the same level of injury concerns as Foran?
But I agree with what others have said, I think we should give Flannigan more time and spend our cap on a hooker and a forward.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The kick out on full on tackle one.. when we were in their red zone .. was one of the worst plays ive seen from an NRL halfback..

Bad execution aside it was completely the wrong play..
I agree 100% but surly Trent Barrett, Should take some of the blame, I mean where are the game plans the set moves, you would think that Tbaz who was the attack coach for Penrith by now after nine rounds should be working with Flannagan, Averillo, Lewis and Wakem and teaching them how to add pressure with their kicking games, They all seem to have the same one dimensional predictable kick , Straight up and down that is as effective as an ashtray on a motor bike, I don't think that I've seen one grubber kick that has landed in goal once this year & what about support play to the forwards or taking on the line, What does Barrett & his Defense coach, his Conditioning coach & his Motivation coach teach these guys at training because we are up to round Ten and nothing changed from round one in fact if anything we are progressively getting worse.
Flannigan can consider himself lucky because if Ricky Stewart, or Craig Bellami were the coach and he would have put that kick out on the first tackle in their red zone he would have been hooked right away and wouldn't see first grade again for a long long time.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That... and he will take a share of the ball away from Burto. Plus he wants a longer term deal and has huge injury concerns. I don’t understand why some don’t see the similarities to the Foran deal.
Because there are none.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does sterlo think that his dad isn’t giving him any advice or he should ask for some.
Is he kidding, must have forgot the guy coached first grade.
Stuff would be said in private 100%
Shane attended all the Colts games & kept tabs on everything behind the scenes.
More importantly, shouldn't Barrett...a representative half and the fucking teams Coach be able to give Kyle advice as to wtf he is doing wrong and wtf he could be doing better? Seriously the numb nuts that write this trash. No doubt it will get interesting at training this week.
Trent needs to fire the fuck up so that the team fires up....yesterday they played directionless, they looked disinterested, had no plan in attack.
Seriously, I thought I was watching Des ball again. Where's the fullback chiming in?, why has Elliot gone to sleep, why did Smith play edge and Waddell centre when their skill sets are opposite to the position they played in.
Does the team actually do any video work on the opposition? Is there a game plan? Is there any defensive plan?...because there doesn't appear to be one.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think he has the same level of injury concerns as Foran?
But I agree with what others have said, I think we should give Flannigan more time and spend our cap on a hooker and a forward.
He hasn’t missed as many games as Foran but he’s a few years older than Foran was when we signed him and a big money deal doesn’t make sense when we need to strengthen other positions. Just my opinion.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Katoa
Waddell
Hopoate
C. Smith
Thats fair, but at the same time when we are in a good spot, he kills the momentum. If we saw him capitalise on something good once or twice a game, then fair enough.

But he hasnt done that once. Lewis made a big difference in our go forward, but unfortunately our players were too lazy to back it up. But at least we saw him do halfback things, flanny doesnt.

Malla

Reaction score
Sterling raises some valid captain obvious points, but who the fuck cares what he thinks. He needs to continue to focus on why Parra hasn't and won't win a premiership for another 30 years