Opinion Peter Sterling retiring

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Fck I hated him through the 80's. Good player but the archbishop would have been the best 7 in league if he didn't exist.

Then he became a commentator and tbh, thought he was balanced except when we playing against the food (Eels). Biased cnt.

Best wishes, full respect from an opponent as a player and for having to put up with Fatty for 30 years. Your work was top notch and took RL to a new level. Hope retirement is everything you hope for. When I watch free to air, you will be missed.

Last edited:

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hated Sterlo when he was a player. In the years since, have come to respect him as a fair and balanced commentator, with some old school loyalty and values. Never met him, but seems like a good bloke. I wish him all the very best for the next chapter of his life.

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah same hated him in the 80''s only because he was the media's golden child had a good kick & pass but was never on Mortimer's skill level. Over the years as a commentator & on the footy show I've grown to like & respect him. Good luck in your retirement Sterlo the game will miss you.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A very decent commentator and will be missed. The clowns they employ these days don’t have 1% of the professionalism Sterling does. I wish him all the best for his retirement.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Most decent commentator on TV. I honestly don't blame him for calling it quits. The game is shit, the game disrespects it's history, and the shit commentary team he has to work with is enough to push you to the hilt. We done Sterlo. Thanks for the memories. Sorry you didn't witness Parra win a GF during you career as a commentator...lol.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most decent commentator on TV. I honestly don't blame him for calling it quits. The game is shit, the game disrespects it's history, and the shit commentary team he has to work with is enough to push you to the hilt. We done Sterlo. Thanks for the memories. Sorry you didn't witness Parra win a GF during you career as a commentator...lol.
totally agree , and he prob doesn’t want to be apart of the media that ruins the game Anymore

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All common potatoes have some element of bias but I think Sterlo was the least biased of the bunch. His knowledge of the game is without question and his use of the telestrator has become stuff of legend. All the best in retirement Sterlo and thanks for your service to Rugba Leeg even if you did play for the Eels.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d say he’s calling it quits because he has lots and lots of money, and time to enjoy the golden years of his life.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hated Frank Stanton more for splitting up incumbent halves Turvey an Wally in favour of Sterling an Kenny from the very start of the 1982 Kangaroo Tour after they played all the tests against France a few months prior in Australia.

At no stage of that tour did Turvey play behind the test pack, and was consigned to play just mid week games with the 2nd stringers. Chris Anderson christened the mid week team "the Emus"

Reading Turveys book I very much doubt he will ever forgive Stanton and Ray Price who Turvey alleged got in Stanton's ear almost from the moment they boarded the plane.

Stanton would no doubt feel the result speaks for itself, but if you read Turvey's book you can only feel sorry for him.

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The only good channel 9 commentator there was and good luck to him. Just wish Voss had stayed with them so he wouldn't be on Fox.