Pet Fish: fresh water, salt water and everything in between

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They are awesome, but god damn messy. Oh I forgot to mention I feed these guys Aqua one Cichlid floating pellets morning and bed time snacks with blood worms for dinner. They flat out refuse to eat any other pellets, They'll just stare at you with this wtf look going on. Oh and the great one is they refuse to eat soggy pellets, seriously wtf they are in water.
Nice looking Green terror Bitemarks. Some of my fish refuse flake food altogether these days. I feed my fish a lot of Australian blackworms. My kuhli's get a mix of frozen bloodworm, tubifex worm, brine shrimp and white mosquito larva, with the occasional New life spectrum (NLS) community pellets and some pleco wafers. My Betta refuses every type of Betta specific food my local fish shop sells but is happy to eat any frozen food i give him and likes pea when i feed them to him. He loves the blackworms and NLS community pellets though. My goldfish will eat anything, but they fight each other over the new life spectrum pellets and they know what the container looks like.

I try to feed some peas to my fish every week as it's supposed to clean out their digestive systems. My goldfish fight over peas and any diced fruit i feed them as well.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This thread smells fishy to me!!! Reminds me of a girl I once knew, she smelt like fish. I'm being totally serious and NO it's not a line from Ford Fairlane. Back in the early 90's I drove to Wollongong to pick up a mate of mine as his car had up and shit itself on the way back to Sydney. He had his girl with him, a girl that he just met a few days before. Any way to cut a long story short, trying not to make it obvious. I used a full can of under arm deodorant that I had in my glove compartment trying to cover up the nauseating smell as my mate and his girl made out on the back seat, doing the hokie pokie, the hunka chunka, hide the salami you know what I mean as I was driving back to Sydney. Honestly I didn't mind the free show they were putting on, hell I would have gladly joined in and made it a threesome but the smell was putrid. True story!!!

Pet Fish: fresh water, salt water and everything in between. Sorry back on topic.

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to get into it cheaply have a look on gumtree. There are usually a lot for sale and you could save $50-$1250 on a tank set up depending on how big you decide to go with the tank and if you go for fresh or salt water. Salt water tanks are usually pretty expensive due to the gear needed to maintain them. Tropical tanks are next down the list in order of expense, followed by cold water which are pretty cheap to set up. Let me know if you want to set a tank up and I can link you to good articles to help you with the set up process. Pet shops don't always give the best advice about setting your tank up and lots of people kill fish when they start out and get disouraged.
Cheers mate will let you know when we're keen.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited this afternoon. I found a 4x1.5 x1.5 foot tank for my next repair project. The bottom has a massive crack so i'll buy a sheet of marine grade plywood and rebuild the tank with a plywood base. I paid $5 for the tank, the ply should be fairly cheap, I have a couple of tubes of aquarium grade silicone ready to go. I just need to find some food grade sealant for the plywood base and i should be ready to rebuild. I also picked up a 4 foot light with it for another $5 that i've got running on another tank already. $10 well spent and it will keep me busy for a few hours over the next weekend or two.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited this afternoon. I found a 4x1.5 x1.5 foot tank for my next repair project. The bottom has a massive crack so i'll buy a sheet of marine grade plywood and rebuild the tank with a plywood base. I paid $5 for the tank, the ply should be fairly cheap, I have a couple of tubes of aquarium grade silicone ready to go. I just need to find some food grade sealant for the plywood base and i should be ready to rebuild. I also picked up a 4 foot light with it for another $5 that i've got running on another tank already. $10 well spent and it will keep me busy for a few hours over the next weekend or two.

thats a steal mate!

Make sure thats the only crack cos you can get many hair lines cracks which only show up when your fill up with water.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thought I might bump this thread and see how the kennels aquarium adventures have evolved over the last year.

I still haven't set up my 4*2*2 tank. The main changes in my tanks are with plants. I upgraded lighting a bit so I can grow I bigger variety. I picked up a trio of Siamese algae rafters to help table my green hair algae issues. Bought some blue rams 2/3 died on me so I'm now trying neon blue rams. These guys just showed up at the pet shop when my 2 blue rams died. I also had a pair of dwarf gourami, an orange and a blue. Both died overnight when we had a cold snap. Everything she was fine in that and 5 other tanks. Lastly I bought a school of 9 endler guppies which has grown over three or four months to a community of 70-100. These guys breed like crazy.

I'm pretty happy with things at the moment. I will hopefully switch over from 6 tanks to three soon if I ever set up my big tank.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thought I might bump this thread and see how the kennels aquarium adventures have evolved over the last year.

I still haven't set up my 4*2*2 tank. The main changes in my tanks are with plants. I upgraded lighting a bit so I can grow I bigger variety. I picked up a trio of Siamese algae rafters to help table my green hair algae issues. Bought some blue rams 2/3 died on me so I'm now trying neon blue rams. These guys just showed up at the pet shop when my 2 blue rams died. I also had a pair of dwarf gourami, an orange and a blue. Both died overnight when we had a cold snap. Everything she was fine in that and 5 other tanks. Lastly I bought a school of 9 endler guppies which has grown over three or four months to a community of 70-100. These guys breed like crazy.

I'm pretty happy with things at the moment. I will hopefully switch over from 6 tanks to three soon if I ever set up my big tank.

dont you have a heater for the tank?

post some pics of the new fish.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Love aquariums had a a 6 foot tank with fresh water tropical fish had about 20 different types of fish in it ,also had seperate tank to breed I had Red Devils breeding and forgot the name of the other it was all different colours but after moving tank broke and I sold everything.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Love aquariums had a a 6 foot tank with fresh water tropical fish had about 20 different types of fish in it ,also had seperate tank to breed I had Red Devils breeding and forgot the name of the other it was all different colours but after moving tank broke and I sold everything.
Sad to hear that your tank broke. I think the only positive about them breaking while moving is that they're usually empty and they don't ruin the carpet.

dont you have a heater for the tank?

post some pics of the new fish.
I'll try and get some pics tomorrow. My camera is stashed in one of two cupboards at the moment. I'll find it tomorrow and get some pics. I have heaters in all my tanks except for the goldfish tank. I think the gourami just have a lower threshold for cooler temps and the cold snap caught me by surprise.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Sad to hear that your tank broke. I think the only positive about them breaking while moving is that they're usually empty and they don't ruin the carpet.

Yeah it pissed me off cause it cost me a lot of money so I just cut my loses and sold everything:(

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you decide to get back into the hobby you can find loads of cheap gear online. If you live in a big city you can usually find tanks of all sizes at decent prices on eBay or Craigslist. I've only ever bought two tanks at a shop. I paid full retail price on my first tank. The other tank I bought was at a closing down sale. I managed to snag a tank I wanted at cost price. The local dump may have an area where they resell used goods. I've picked up three tanks for about $30 combined at my local tip. One of my mates picked up a 4 foot tank as will as a 2 foot one for $10.

Unless you have the money to throw away it's worth investing s bit of time to find a good used tank. Fully equipped tanks you get used might co st about a quarter of the price.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Is there small tank portable enough for a hospital room? genuine question. even just 2 small fish.

Might keep my mind off the pain a bit.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is there small tank portable enough for a hospital room? genuine question. even just 2 small fish.

Might keep my mind off the pain a bit.

yep you can/ should keep a Siamese fighter fish just like you.

Fighter fish can be easily kept in a tiny honey or cheese jar.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Sweet.

Thank you sir.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Sweet.

Thank you sir.
As an added bonus, you can put two males together and watch them fight eachother to the death.
My mate put a mirror up against one wall of the tank, and the fish went nuts !

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
As an added bonus, you can put two males together and watch them fight eachother to the death.
My mate put a mirror up against one wall of the tank, and the fish went nuts !
So they actually fight? that's fucking awesome