Pet Fish: fresh water, salt water and everything in between

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have 2 Green Terror Cichlids that are around 25cm, bought them when they were 1cm about 5 years ago. I also have 2 peppermint catfish that are around 10 cm long. Good canister filters area must have. Also check the PH of your tap water and buy accordingly. my tap ph is 7.0 so all these fish like that range.

Cichlids are pretty smart they know who is who in the house, I went away for 3 weeks recently. They lost their shit when i walked back into the house. Years ago I had a Jack Dempsy he would do loops when I walked into the room, but did it for no one else, damn funny fish he was. These 2 GT's get jealous if you paying too much attention to the other one.
This is very intresting mate. You have kinda hooked me to the green terror Cichlids now. Definitely the next fish i am gonna keep.

I am interested what color it is as google is showing me heaps of different ones. can you put a photos of yours. ta

N

Natboy

Cichlids are so beautiful but would stop my plecos from breeding.
I had some albino bristlenose in with electric yellows once and they were terrified!
They managed to breed in a cave but the fry got picked off one by one by the cichlids :(

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
fresh water all the way, we had fish for years red dragon flowerhorns
not the best fish to breed very cannibalistic and the males will kill females breeding

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are those fish called with the thing ontop of their heads that looks like a brain? They're usually white and orange in colour.

N

Natboy

What are those fish called with the thing ontop of their heads that looks like a brain? They're usually white and orange in colour.
Oranda goldfish, ****ing ugly freaky looking things haha

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate , old dirty water Is very important for fish. Whenever you change water keep the water from top of the tank in separate buckets, as the bottom has got all the crap. Never replace 100 % water from tank as the fish goes into the shock in new fresh water. Once the tank is cleaned put old water back in plus fish and then every day add little water till it gets to the top. Unless your water is contaminated with disease then you have no choice, but I would still keep some from top.
I vacuum the crap from under the rocks, but I only do about a third of the tank, I can't use the water cause it's so dirty, but as long as I clean under the rocks that usually helps

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I want Oscars. Or a pet Murray Cod.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have 2 Green Terror Cichlids that are around 25cm, bought them when they were 1cm about 5 years ago. I also have 2 peppermint catfish that are around 10 cm long. Good canister filters area must have. Also check the PH of your tap water and buy accordingly. my tap ph is 7.0 so all these fish like that range.

Cichlids are pretty smart they know who is who in the house, I went away for 3 weeks recently. They lost their shit when i walked back into the house. Years ago I had a Jack Dempsy he would do loops when I walked into the room, but did it for no one else, damn funny fish he was. These 2 GT's get jealous if you paying too much attention to the other one.
I have mostly kept smaller fish so far but i'd like to do a large Cichlid tank. Blue Rams are the only Cichlids i plan to own in the near future. I love planted tanks and large cichlids dig too much to keep my plants alive. I still use internal filters due to them being a a lot cheaper. I will upgrade to canisters eventually.

It's great when your fish learn who looks after them and start behaving like dogs when you show up. They're smarter than a lot of people give them credit for.

Alan and Nat, blue lines are very shy and hard to breed in tanks. They grow upto 3 feet as I have heared. The biggest I have seen is 12 inches and it was something to look at. Blue lines can only breed in ponds.
They have dark blue velvety skin on top which turn very light when they are scared , specially when you wre trying to catch them for cleaning tank and stuff.
Albino blue lines are a rare breed and very hard to get as I believe they come out of normal blue lines but its a skin color disorder , may be similar to Michael jacksons. Lol

Has anyone tried breeding gold fish?
They look pretty nice in the pictures in the other thread and i know that fish never look as good in photos as they do when you lok straight into their tank.

I was looking into breeding goldfish. They like more water than i want to use for breeding them, but i have seen some good videos posted online about how to breed them. It looks like they'd breed easily if you gave them a decent sized pond. I almost had a pair of fighting fish breed for me. They were pretty close to successful except for the fact that the male is supposed to pick up the eggs and put them in a bubble nest when she drops them. My Betta just let the eggs sink. Then the female died on me so that put an end to my Betta breeding project. I had already half built a growout platform with about 40 plastic growout tanks to raise the babies once they started to get aggressive. I need to get another female to breed now.

fresh water all the way, we had fish for years red dragon flowerhorns
not the best fish to breed very cannibalistic and the males will kill females breeding
Cichlids are so beautiful but would stop my plecos from breeding.
I had some albino bristlenose in with electric yellows once and they were terrified!
They managed to breed in a cave but the fry got picked off one by one by the cichlids :(
There is so much variety in cichlids, they're available in so many different shapes colours and sizes that it would be hard to find space for all of them. But they're probably some of the nicest fish you can find for tropical tanks. I just wish they weren't so harsh with planted tanks.

I want one anyway lol
Haha. There are so many different fish types that almost anyone can find something they like. I think i know of 5 goldfish breeds alone. I had a visit from my mate, his girlfriend and their 2 kids about six months ago. They were impressed enough with my tanks that they now have 3 tanks at home. They picked guppies for the kids tank. They have a tank with some angel fish, Kuhli loaches and a pleco and they have a third tank that they're setting up for Black Moore goldfish. If you ever buy a tank Mrs be careful because they can be addictive.

I vacuum the crap from under the rocks, but I only do about a third of the tank, I can't use the water cause it's so dirty, but as long as I clean under the rocks that usually helps
Do you have a lot of fish die? Guppies should last a while but neon Tetras can be a bit sensitive and die pretty regularly for me. I had 12 a year back and have had 10 die over the course of 12-14 months without many of my other fish dieing. I think that at 2 years old some of your guppies are probably getting old though.

Maybe the reason you are losing fish is because of how you clean your filter. Like Natboy said Ammonia is the biggest killer of aquarium fish. Have you read about the beneficial bacteria that breeds in your filter sponge? It converts fish waste from harmful chemicals to a type that is less harmful. When you vacuum your gravel next you should use the dirty water to squeeze the sponge in your filter out. I know that if you clean the sponge out under tap water the Chlorine kills off all the beneficial bacteria and the ammonia builds up really quickly.

I want Oscars. Or a pet Murray Cod.
Oscars are nice but they need a big tank to keep them properly. They're supposed to be a pretty interactive with humans though so they're probably fun to own. I think you can buy Murray cod from the aquagreen catalogue. I've bought some plants off their website and I want to set up a tank with threadfin rainbows and a type of blue-eyes that they sell. Awesome source of Australian native fish, shrimp and plants plus they stock some imported species of plants and fish as well.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Best way of removing filth and crap from the tank Is:

- turn off the filter and any thing running on air so crap in the water starts to settle.
- remove fish , plants and toys, just leaving gravel.
- with hand shift gravel on one side so much that glass floor starts to show.
- let the water settle for 10 minutes
-vaccum the crap sitting on the bare glass.
- move gravel from another area and repeat last 3 steps.
- do it at 4-5 different places.
- you would ve lost half your tank water by now through vaccum.
- put fish and every thing else back and add fresh water bit by bit on daily basis.
- do not top up all water in one hit.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the guys at work has a fish tank on his desk, and looks after another tank in another guy's office.

He usually has a mix of angel fish, tetras and gold fish. And has had catfish.

The behaviour of some of the angel fish is really cute. And they go nuts when you are reaching for the food !

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Indiandog here's the pic you asked for

Sorry the glass isn't clean have to clean the tank on the weekend. They really hate cleaning time, it usually results in I'm not talking to you for a week. The other one is far less colourful unless I spend 30 minutes winding her up.
I have a 4 foot tank in the garage with a sump filter that I have to start working on. that will be great as you can see they do like to knock around the inlet, hell he managed to remove one of the suction cups off the clip.

Alan, yeah plants and these buggers do not mix at all. I have some silk fakes in the tank even when I pile large pebbles (5cm) they still manage to drag them out and move them to their preferred location.

Convicts are always good for Sydney water they also like ph 7.0

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Indiandog here's the pic you asked for

Sorry the glass isn't clean have to clean the tank on the weekend. They really hate cleaning time, it usually results in I'm not talking to you for a week. The other one is far less colourful unless I spend 30 minutes winding her up.
I have a 4 foot tank in the garage with a sump filter that I have to start working on. that will be great as you can see they do like to knock around the inlet, hell he managed to remove one of the suction cups off the clip.

Alan, yeah plants and these buggers do not mix at all. I have some silk fakes in the tank even when I pile large pebbles (5cm) they still manage to drag them out and move them to their preferred location.

Convicts are always good for Sydney water they also like ph 7.0

Wow! I am In love, its fcken beautifull.

Thanks mate. Keep it up!

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
They are awesome, but god damn messy. Oh I forgot to mention I feed these guys Aqua one Cichlid floating pellets morning and bed time snacks with blood worms for dinner. They flat out refuse to eat any other pellets, They'll just stare at you with this wtf look going on. Oh and the great one is they refuse to eat soggy pellets, seriously wtf they are in water.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They are awesome, but god damn messy. Oh I forgot to mention I feed these guys Aqua one Cichlid floating pellets morning and bed time snacks with blood worms for dinner. They flat out refuse to eat any other pellets, They'll just stare at you with this wtf look going on. Oh and the great one is they refuse to eat soggy pellets, seriously wtf they are in water.
I know what you are saying. my blue lines loved dry shrimps. if i put them on water they want touch them , but when i hold it just above the water they will happily pick it from my fingers. Simply amazing.

Stringer

CAR RAMROD
Reaction score
I've got a 400L marine set up in lounge, 2 tangs, clown pair and a snow flake eel. I've always found aquariums relaxing and it's better than most of the crap on TV.