People working from home complaining..

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It may have took a global viral pandemic covid-19 for us to agree on anything but I agree with you.

People do the minimum from home in between watching Netflix
It depends on the person. I've worked from home a handful of times and always get everything done.
There's been times I've had a sick kid at home and have been able to work remotely, but under these circumstances I don't claim a full day, only the time I spend working.
I'm fortunate that my manager trusts my judgement and word when it comes to it.
It'd be very simple to audit a person's workload / productivity when working home from due to the electronic footprint they leave... it can only be manipulated so much.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I’ve been working from home and have maintained the same productivity levels, if not increased them.... so it’s nonsense to suggest people working from home gave “had the year off”. It’s hard working through distractions and staying motivated sometimes, but if I don’t get enough done throughout the course of my normal working hours, I work back a bit to

I’m definitely not going to complain though. I have saved a lot of money and have been getting more sleep and chill time at home due to not having to travel to and from work. On the other hand, I can understand some people really miss the visual aspect of things. At the end of the day, all of us who are still working are lucky. No point complaining and getting into arguments over who has it better. It has been an incredibly difficult year and those of us who are still able to earn a crust are lucky.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
No use complaining, just make the best out of the cards that have been dealt to you.

An old poker term.... "play the player, not the cards".

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Working from home is nowhere near as productive. People are doing themselfs out if a job... If they want to convince their employer they can work from home, the next step is the employer may as well hire someone working remotely from India.. no he costs and no oncosts.. watch it happen .

Employees think they are fooling their employers saying they can work from home.. they might be home permanently but without a job
Indians cost to much we will be replaced by machines.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Working from home is nowhere near as productive. People are doing themselfs out if a job... If they want to convince their employer they can work from home, the next step is the employer may as well hire someone working remotely from India.. no he costs and no oncosts.. watch it happen .

Employees think they are fooling their employers saying they can work from home.. they might be home permanently but without a job
The up side for the boss is that they can reduce the amount of office space required, and the expense that goes with it. As long as some face to face interaction is maintained it is more productive than offshoring all jobs. Too much is lost in translation when jobs are offshored, and I don't just mean language differences; the cultural differences often means thinking is not on the same page. Plus the timing difference is awkward as well - much easier to call someone who is in the same time zone.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The up side for the boss is that they can reduce the amount of office space required, and the expense that goes with it. As long as some face to face interaction is maintained it is more productive than offshoring all jobs. Too much is lost in translation when jobs are offshored, and I don't just mean language differences; the cultural differences often means thinking is not on the same page. Plus the timing difference is awkward as well - much easier to call someone who is in the same time zone.
Watch this space. The work from home bludgers are doing themselves out of a job..

An employer will wise up, no hr costs, , no workers comp bill, no tax.

Bludgers that work from home clog up their calendar with bullshit meetings that don't exist, watch Netflix whilst sipping coffee, always pretend the system is down..do all their chores, it's a scam. The biggest problem is if the employer agrees that it's better to work from home, you know what's coming next for these bludgers

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If you are on windows just download the move mouse app ;)
Does Windows work yet?
I abandoned ship in 2007 after the disaster of Vista. Once you go Mac, you never go back :-).

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I see where you're coming from, but having a year off is a bit of a stretch.

I'm grateful that I've been able to keep employment through this difficult time and appreciate that I'm not wasting as much time and money with things like Public Transport, but I can tell you right now it hasn't been a holiday working from home.

I work harder remotely than I would in the office. It's harder to keep focus and you never really feel like you actually finish up for the day. I wake up, work, eat and then sleep. Rinse and repeat. When I'm not working, I'm thinking about work and am well reminded by the shitty makeshift office I created for myself every night by the kitchen. It honestly feels like I work in the office 8am-11pm everyday.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

I'm grateful that I've been able to keep employment through this difficult time and appreciate that I'm not wasting as much time and money with things like Public Transport, but I can tell you right now it hasn't been a holiday working from home.

I work harder remotely than I would in the office. It's harder to keep focus and you never really feel like you actually finish up for the day. I wake up, work, eat and then sleep. Rinse and repeat. When I'm not working, I'm thinking about work and am well reminded by the shitty makeshift office I created for myself every night by the kitchen. It honestly feels like I work in the office 8am-11pm everyday.
Habibi are you still in Melbourne?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

At least you concede.. but most people still do their 8 hours but get distracted all day and maybe do 2 hours productive ..

Should keep home for home, go to work if you want to go to work

It's like gym equipment , who buys it and never uses it from home. Too many distractions.. when you go to the gym (or work) there is a choice to workout or go home.. an environment with no other distractions.

Employers are licking their lips with employees that want to work from home, giving them the mandate to replace them with people from overseas.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Literally just landed in Auckland today! Haha
Nice. Are you still working in the same job just doing it from Auckland now or do you have something else happening?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nice. Are you still working in the same job just doing it from Auckland now or do you have something else happening?
Still working in same job remotely right up to the last day of quarantine and then starting new role in January.

Thanks goodness my old job talked me into working in quarantine, because it's boring as shit in here man!

Wahesh

Reaction score
Still working in same job remotely right up to the last day of quarantine and then starting new role in January.

Thanks goodness my old job talked me into working in quarantine, because it's boring as shit in here man!
Good stuff brother. Are you living there now or is this a temp thing?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good stuff brother. Are you living there now or is this a temp thing?
The real deal brother.

We decided and planned a while back this was the right move for us, and to be honest I'm so excited to kick off the next stage of our lives and actually build to something long term for a change.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Year off? LOL.

But seriously, working from home / COVID has affected everyone differently. For every person enjoying the lack of commute and having to wear pants, there's someone else who is trying to work from the dining table in a share house with three others doing the same, or someone on their bed in their inner city studio feeling lonely, or the poor bastards trying to juggle kids.

I am relatively lucky in that I have a large home office, but I also have to share it with Mrs CD, and for the two months (yeah, ok it was only two months we actually worried about covid in in Brisbane), we were both working fulltime and juggling a 2 year old that we had pulled out of childcare. Essentially we had to roster the office and co-parent, meaning pretty much being on the go from about 6am and one of us was usually working until after 10pm (usually Mrs CD on an international video call, but she is used to it).

I certainly wasn't baking any bread, chilling with Netflix or learning a new language.

Whilst I like to be able to work from home, there is a difference between that and having to work from home. Before kids I admit it was definitely easier, and I could set my own timetable, but these days, I'm glad to be back in the office (and I sensible only have a 10 minute commute so there's not savings there). Plus my job involves at lot of networking, and Zoom just doesn't cut it.

I think some people, enjoying the saving on public transport etc, would have got a rude shock when they got their first electricity bill instead!

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Year off? LOL.

But seriously, working from home / COVID has affected everyone differently. For every person enjoying the lack of commute and having to wear pants, there's someone else who is trying to work from the dining table in a share house with three others doing the same, or someone on their bed in their inner city studio feeling lonely, or the poor bastards trying to juggle kids.

I am relatively lucky in that I have a large home office, but I also have to share it with Mrs CD, and for the two months (yeah, ok it was only two months we actually worried about covid in in Brisbane), we were both working fulltime and juggling a 2 year old that we had pulled out of childcare. Essentially we had to roster the office and co-parent, meaning pretty much being on the go from about 6am and one of us was usually working until after 10pm (usually Mrs CD on an international video call, but she is used to it).

I certainly wasn't baking any bread, chilling with Netflix or learning a new language.

Whilst I like to be able to work from home, there is a difference between that and having to work from home. Before kids I admit it was definitely easier, and I could set my own timetable, but these days, I'm glad to be back in the office (and I sensible only have a 10 minute commute so there's not savings there). Plus my job involves at lot of networking, and Zoom just doesn't cut it.

I think some people, enjoying the saving on public transport etc, would have got a rude shock when they got their first electricity bill instead!
Lots of very good points made well. I still think the lucky people that this virus situation has benefited in their work life situation need to acknowledge the benefits. You obviously have here done that. However I just can’t take the people that complain but don’t have to travel anymore and can sleep in a little bit every day and can duck out to do a few life maintenance tasks every day. I can’t take they are having a worse time of it.

Also how much nicer is it that you get to spend the day with your two year old everyday instead of having to travel an hour away each day and not see them until it’s time for their bedtime.