News 'People only see the first-grade results': Dogs director says club in strong position

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Under-fire Canterbury director Paul Dunn says he will accept the members' decision if he is a casualty in a battle for control of the Bulldogs, but is adamant he will leave the club in a better state than he found it.

The "family club" is on the brink of civil war after a letter demanding an extraordinary general meeting to oust Dunn, chair Lynne Anderson and deputy chair John Ballesty was tabled to chief executive Andrew Hill on Tuesday.

The trio are considering their next course of action ahead of a meeting of the football club board on Thursday. If they opt to dig in, they face the prospect of being voted out of office at the EGM.

After months of speculation, the 116 signatures are a clear sign that a significant section of the membership has lost faith in Canterbury's leadership.

The Bulldogs narrowly avoided the wooden spoon in a tumultuous season that included the Port Macquarie scandal and the departure of coach Dean Pay before his contract expired.

Dunn, a Clive Churcill medallist during his playing days for the club, said the club is in a much better position than when he rejoined it as a director.

"The only things I've ever done is for the benefit of the club," Dunn said. "If the people want to get me off there, so be it, I will get on with my life.

"If they do vote me off, I'll have left the club in a much better position than what I found it in.

"I use the iceberg analogy all the time, most people only see the first-grade results in looking at how the club is going.

"There are so many other things [that have improved] – junior league, salary cap, roster, coaching staff, the sponsorship situation.

"I'm very fortunate that I've got a lot out of rugby league over the years and I see my involvement as a way to give back.

Paul Dunn during his playing days for Canterbury.

Paul Dunn during his playing days for Canterbury.CREDIT:NRL IMAGERY

"If people don't want me there I'll leave. I'll be very disappointed because I reckon next year is so exciting, it's not funny.

"I would like to be involved in that, but if not, then so be it.

"The club is in a much better position now than it was three years ago."

Dunn was part of a Reform ticket that swept to power in 2018, ousting the regime previously chaired by Ray Dib.

The 'Reformists' have claimed that the salary cap issues they inherited would take several years to rectify and that 2021 represented the first year that their changes would begin to bear fruit.

However, that narrative hasn't placated a powerful bloc of disgruntled members who believe the club has gone backwards since their arrival.

Incoming coach Trent Barrett could be officially starting work at the club just as members head to the ballot box to overthrow three of the seven directors on the board.
Dunn said the club was in the process of again becoming a development club, a process that takes several years to pay dividends.

"There is still work to be done, but you will start to see progress in the next couple of years, definitely," Dunn said.

"If someone would have the courtesy to tell me why they want me off, I'm happy to have a discussion with them."
Correspondence from the Board, outlining the details of the improvements in the areas mentioned would be a good idea - not just a bland statement that we are now much better. Show us how we are better, and provide examples. That would help silence the critics, and give the rest of us some comfort that the club is in good hands.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the board had a few more signings for 21 I’d say there’d be much less talk. A big deal was made about next year and money available and if we go in with just Thomson and Cotric it won’t look good. Granted things may happen after the grand final.

Combine that with some of the signings we have made like DWZ and Napa and some people have lost confidence.

If the wrong players are signed in 22 on long contracts then we’re in for yet another rebuild by another board.

Add in stupid in fighting between various parties and some fairly amateurish decisions and you can see why there’s been all this talk.

I can vote and have had calls but I won’t sign any documents. I will however attend a meeting if one is held and hear what everyone has to say and try to make the best decision I can in the interests of the club.
Im not having a dig, but since your the only one that seems to have elaborated on things a little, can you just detail a few of your points with examples please? What were their amateurish decisions? Its harsh to blame them for Napa and DWZ signings, hindsight is a bitch no one loves. They're not permitted to speak to contracted players until nov, and the players everyone wants us to sign are in for a tilt at a premiership, so there's no chance they will be willing to distract themselves with discussions to break contract. So if no big names are signed before Nov then I wont be all too concerned tbh.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Without doubt. Let Barrett spend his first year under the leadership that signed him.
A no brainer really. Beyond belief that some think it's wise to shake things up before he's even got in the door? No good will come of this whole fucking circus.

We can slag off the club as much as we want, but we're equally stupid for calling for this EGM.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here we go again. Another administrator who has zero administrative experience or qualifications comes in and wonders why members don’t like him? The board is a joke and their total irreverence to this mess we are in is the reason the club can not and will not move forward.
Explain how they are a joke?? It seems to me that due to very poor results everyone wants to shit on the board. Im not suggesting they have done a great job, but the people who criticise give no definitive reasons for their criticism. They just speak some half arsed media crap.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I said in another thread. I wrote to Lynne twice this year to complain about team selections, Pay, poor recruitment etc. She rang me and we spoke about a raft of issues. I know what I heard and I know what she said. SHE wanted to resign Pay because Bullfrog used to say you always look after your own. I told her that this game is no longer a sport. It's a business and people and sponsors expect results. Two weeks later Pay was gone so I assume she didn't have the numbers to keep him.

Some signings will be announced at seasons end however I believe they will be for 2022. There isn't much available for next year.
OK. Firstly, that's incredible that the head of an organisation would choose to firstly reply to your emails and then actually speak to you over the phone. Fucking hell. Cool that.

Is Lynne supposed to be the expert in rugby league? Should she be the sole decision maker when it comes to who stays on in the coaching / playing staff? I honestly don't care what her position is / was on Pay because to me it's completely irrevelant. What's important is that she has a good team around her that makes good decisions, and she listens to them.

Clearly her team gave it straight to her about Pay, and she listened which is why Pay's gone and we've got a much much more experienced coaching team in his place. From my side I see this as a positive?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The reality of the current situation is that if this boards decisions through one of our toughest periods start bearing fruit next year, it'll be hard for their anonymous opponents to get any support in 2022. Finishing next year in the top 8 or as high as 10th position would likely give the board four more years. So not only do I see this as incredibly poor timing (this could reset current negotiations back to square one and potentially scare players off). It's also very cowardly. The anonymous opponents can just fade into the background if they don't feel like this coup will be successful.

I see this point in time as one when the appearance of instability throws a huge spanner in the works. Pretty disgusting to think this anonymous group doesn't even have the courage to put their names forward right now.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The reality of the current situation is that if this boards decisions through one of our toughest periods start bearing fruit next year, it'll be hard for their anonymous opponents to get any support in 2022. Finishing next year in the top 8 or as high as 10th position would likely give the board four more years. So not only do I see this as incredibly poor timing (this could reset current negotiations back to square one and potentially scare players off). It's also very cowardly. The anonymous opponents can just fade into the background if they don't feel like this coup will be successful.

I see this point in time as one when the appearance of instability throws a huge spanner in the works. Pretty disgusting to think this anonymous group doesn't even have the courage to put their names forward right now.
One of the best posts I've read on here in a while. Spot on and well put

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As I said. We don't know what signings the board has lined up for next year so it can quite easily be argued that the roster has improved. We just don't know the full details yet.

Lynne wanting to resign Pay? I'm sure there were a lot of plans, but she didn't resign him. He was let go. Whether she wanted him or not is irrevelant imo. We have a group of people at the club making decisions, and the group made the right decision to let him go. I don't want everyone agreeing about everything.

I understand that people aren't apparently happy about some things going on at the club, but surely RIGHT NOW isn't the best time to be doing this.

We need stability to at least get our signings over the line FFS. Let's see what they're planning to do with the roster then maybe then people can swear and throw stones at the club.
Exactly. The point of a board of directors is to have a group of people with potentially differing opinions come together to make decisions in the best interest of the club. They don't need to agree on everything.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Agree Alan, except board appointments are two-year terms not four. Otherwise bang on, the timing and alleged reasons are wrong.

I’ll listen to both sides at any EGM if called but unless there’s a reason of significance not yet exposed I hope the majority of members have the sense to see this too.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. The point of a board of directors is to have a group of people with potentially differing opinions come together to make decisions in the best interest of the club. They don't need to agree on everything.
And they most definitely DON’T agree on everything. I see that as healthy debate in the best interests of the club. Some see it as a ‘split’.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Correspondence from the Board, outlining the details of the improvements in the areas mentioned would be a good idea - not just a bland statement that we are now much better. Show us how we are better, and provide examples. That would help silence the critics, and give the rest of us some comfort that the club is in good hands.
I’d say there will be some of that coming to the members Chris. It likely would’ve been coming before year end anyway. I know at least two planned member forums were canned this year due C-19. Which begs the question: if there’s an EGM, how will it be held to accommodate let’s assume a majority of members to take part under C-19 protocols? Proxies? Is that what the agitators wanted?

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Going to be a loooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg off season for long suffering bulldogs fans

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Dunn says we are in a better position now then 3 years ago. How is this the case? We are worse then ever.
He’s talking about the whole organisation, not just the NRL team - hence the iceberg analogy.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do you achieve on field results? By having a good development pathway program....which takes time...a la Penrith...and can be easily fucked up... a la Broncos. Or, you pay players under the table...a la Roosters or you have the best coach for the last 20 years...a la Storm.
Dunn is right. Theres no quick fix.
What the Anderson ticket did wrong was create unrealistic expectations that we'd be competitive by 2021. We wont be. But we will be clear of salary cap constraints to be able to BEGIN to buy critical parts of the roster that we can't develop internally.
The Anderson ticket promised a renewed focus on development. Covid hasn't helped us to be able to identify available talent.
Dunn is smart and a good operator in football. He has my support.
Dunn is useless has a terrible track record with his work at the Bunnies and the decision to re-sign Pay last year has proven to be a very bad one. Tell me what’s so good about this focus on development? They haven’t turned us into some factory for producing good talent all they have done is the bare minimum to get us up to standard with any regular NRL club. Everything this board does is just average.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Anyway good to see the raiders sort their major sponsor within a month or so after losing Huawei, pretty simple they offered Canberra milk an upgrade , shame the same luxury wasn't afforded to the dogs minor sponsors who are cashed up
So Teddy, can you confirm that M&J, Ultimate Security, Ladbrokes or Sydney Tools were ‘cashed up’ and ready to go as major sponsor of the Bulldogs this year and one of them is dirty they weren’t afforded the opportunity? Post C-19 I’d bet the majority of those businesses are GLAD they don’t have that cost monkey on their back. Oh, but C-19 is an ‘excuse’ isn’t it... Also the Raiders have worked with the parent company of Canberra Milk for 25+ years - and had various brands on their jersey in that time too - Milk, Bega Cheese, Dare Iced Coffee etc. We have NOT worked with any of our sponsors for that length of time nor do they have multiple brands giving flexibility on both sides. It’s just not as cut and dried as you’re making it out to be and frankly I think a poor comparison.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Dunn is useless has a terrible track record with his work at the Bunnies and the decision to re-sign Pay last year has proven to be a very bad one. Tell me what’s so good about this focus on development? They haven’t turned us into some factory for producing good talent all they have done is the bare minimum to get us up to standard with any regular NRL club. Everything this board does is just average.
What that first year they were reappointed and Phil Gould assembled the worst roster ever? Dunn didn't even make it through the year. That was a poison challis similar to the one that Pay was handed. Not to mention that was 2002. So long ago now.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
What that first year they were reappointed and Phil Gould assembled the worst roster ever? Dunn didn't even make it through the year. That was a poison challis similar to the one that Pay was handed. Not to mention that was 2002. So long ago now.
It’s still not a good track record then you look at his last stint on the board and it wasn’t that impressive either. He doesn’t bring anything to the table for mine.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
It’s still not a good track record then you look at his last stint on the board and it wasn’t that impressive either. He doesn’t bring anything to the table for mine.
It would have been more interesting to see what Talent the guys had put in the lower grades to see what is coming through. Hopefully there are lower grades next year. Still would like to see some signings, but I suspect the guys we want are under contract for 21. So won't know anything till Nov/Dec. They better fix that spine.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One positive is that they've cleared out the deadwood like Foran, Montoya, Tolman, Holland, etc.....

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
OK. Firstly, that's incredible that the head of an organisation would choose to firstly reply to your emails and then actually speak to you over the phone. Fucking hell. Cool that.

Is Lynne supposed to be the expert in rugby league? Should she be the sole decision maker when it comes to who stays on in the coaching / playing staff? I honestly don't care what her position is / was on Pay because to me it's completely irrevelant. What's important is that she has a good team around her that makes good decisions, and she listens to them.

Clearly her team gave it straight to her about Pay, and she listened which is why Pay's gone and we've got a much much more experienced coaching team in his place. From my side I see this as a positive?
Hi TD,

A number of years ago, I emailed Raelene Castle (when she was Bulldogs CEO) complaining about player retention issues - in particular losing Dale Finucane to Melbourne. I also raised with her that she had been quoting in the media some BS statistic from Hasler about how after round 15 Bulldogs had scored 3rd most tries. It was all a deception from Hasler to mask how our attack had gone crap and Raelene had been tricked by it. I did a spreadsheet and in the weeks after a round 16 flogging by the Cowboys, our points scored absolutely nosedived.

I asked her to call me to discuss and she did. I was at work and I took the call in a spare office. We talked for about half an hour about a number of Bulldogs related matters including about Finucane and she said we lost him due to salary cap pressures and I shouldn't worry because we had an exciting signing on the way - that was Richie Kennar (yes, she actually told me that). She was also very interested in the point I was making about the attacking statistics and asked me to send the spreadsheet, which I subsequently did.

About 2 months later, a guy I knew came all the way over from New Zealand with his wife to see Dogs v Cronulla at Belmore. I emailed Raelene, told her the guy's story (he had never seen Bulldogs play live) and gave her the seat numbers (near mine) and being a Kiwi too, she came down before the game and met us all.

It's all done for the purposes of PR.

Last edited: