News Penrith Say Gould got Ivan Cleary sacking wrong and he now has the job for life lol

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus did get it wrong at the time. Was a strange decision
Definitely thought Griffin was a bad choice, although I thought I previously read he was good at setting up strong junior development systems, which would make sense why his last 3 clubs have been Dragons, Panther's and Broncos who all have big junior bases.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The only reason they got there is because Storm played their shittest game in the last 3 seasons at full strength like absolute rabble in the qualifier and they still barely knocked them. Probably scattered from the bag, should of just pumped some more before the game.

We’ll see next year how great a coach he is, look who he put in the halves when he has Burton and Cleary was out injured.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always rated him.
He has done well in previously struggling teams (warriors and panthers 1st time).
Yes, he did the dirty on Wests Tigers but that doesn't mean his grand plan for them wouldn't have worked out. His plan was in fact to get Nathan over and build the Tigers. Didnt happen and although you can be critical of him abandoning them during a rebuild, he has proven that whatever coaching plan he had, it was a winning one.

You can point to the penrith juniors all you want and its fair to credit Gus and Hook for what they did in the lead up years before, but credit to Fletcher in bucking the trend, going against Gus Gould, putting their eggs in tye Clearys basket and getting the job done.

They have been one of the top 2 teamsfor 2 seasons straight and could easily have been B2B premiers. Remember they scored 4 tries apiece last year against Melb.

Im from the BDP and i dont hide the fact that i was very vocal in wanting Des sacked in favour of Cleary, even before the Tigers signed him up. I got offside with some BDPers at the time, but i think the last 2 years has vindicated my opinion.

Fletcher is simply vindicating his actions in this article. Who knows..... maybe im Fletcher!!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The reason Penrith are on the nose with everyone all year is they are so cocky

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cleary did not set the world on fire when he was at The Warriors and Tigers.
He won the GF because he had a gifted team, not because of any input from him.