Penns buy back Manly from Quantum - now own majority shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't manly sort their board out?they might want to get des back . What are your thoughts, would he want to go back?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Havent we tied Des up for a few more years already? I also dont think he will go back in a hurry. Toovey is a decent coach (yeh i said it) coz he is pretty much a Des clone, trained by Des, played with Des.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Havent we tied Des up for a few more years already? I also dont think he will go back in a hurry. Toovey is a decent coach (yeh i said it) coz he is pretty much a Des clone, trained by Des, played with Des.
Not only that I think what we have shown Des in the short time he has been with us surpassed his time with Manly to be honest.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why would Des leave? Gets paid more than any other coach in the NRL and gets everything he asks for.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would Des leave? Gets paid more than any other coach in the NRL and gets everything he asks for.
He is also producing consistent results aswell.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
3 things:

1. Toovey is actually a good coach IMO. He's a smart guy.
2. Would Manly fans have Des back? I think maybe in a few years, but not now.
3. Manly are broke and couldn't afford DEs, if it came down to a bidding war v us.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon Manly is far from sorted. The old side is being slowly but surely dismantled and Geoff Toovey faces having players who may not want to be there. They still have some substance but will not do as well as this year if they lose Matai, Watmough and Stewart as has been rumoured.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
reasons he may go because he lives there and is a manly boy, from reports they might have money now.
I wouldn't think he'd go anywhere mid contract

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
reasons he may go because he lives there and is a manly boy, from reports they might have money now.
I wouldn't think he'd go anywhere mid contract
Des is not a Manly boy he grew up in the western suburbs and originally played for Penrith. As far as Manly and Des in particular are concerned it's a case of Des returning the faith that Manly showed him. Nothing more, nothing less. Des will be going nowhere any time soon.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I read today, that the Penn family bought out Quantums shares, so they are looking like becoming quite stable. Quantum was the ones causing ALL the problems

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not Bennett is on $1.3m a yr and Sticky is on $1m a yr compared to Des's 750k. I am sure Des's next contract will be well over a $1m

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Penn was the one that dragged the chain and lead to Des leaving.

However Toovey, Perry and DCE are anti Penn, and may find themselves on the outer with the new management.

There were rumours ages ago that Penn wanted to shift all the games from Brookvale to elsewhere, so that he could make a pitch and buy the land Brookvale Oval was on, demolish it, and built another private hospital on the grounds. But it was heavily opposed.

That's the rumour anyway.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Penn was the one that dragged the chain and lead to Des leaving.

However Toovey, Perry and DCE are anti Penn, and may find themselves on the outer with the new management.

There were rumours ages ago that Penn wanted to shift all the games from Brookvale to elsewhere, so that he could make a pitch and buy the land Brookvale Oval was on, demolish it, and built another private hospital on the grounds. But it was heavily opposed.

That's the rumour anyway.
That move would piss off a lot of manly fans.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Penn on Triple M said today that Toovey is fine and he had a long term contract. Probably the kiss of death!

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I doubt Des would go back. In his time with us he hasn't had any dramas from the board and has all the facilities and equipment he wants, that's the way he likes to operate.

In regards to Toovey it is too early to tell if he is a good coach. When a few of the players leave and he has to bring in players and develop his own squad then we'll be able to tell how good he is (if he's still around which is looking less likely).

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
My Manly friends are convinced no one likes Toovey. It's to the extent where no one talks to him unless they have too.

I find this pretty surprising, but I guess results aren't everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.