Pearce's Prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
MITCHELL Pearce takes us inside Camp Rooster for an exclusive look at their finals week
Saturday night
There is a different feeling in the dressingrooms after our win against Penrith.

Following the golden-point win over Wests Tigers the previous weekend, everyone was very pumped and excited.

But because we had the Penrith game wrapped up a fair way out from fulltime, we are a lot more mellow.

There is a quiet excitement because we've moved to within 80 minutes of a grand final but no one is getting carried away - even back at the Leagues Club at Bondi Junction when we are greeted by hundreds of fans.

I only stay for about 20 minutes before heading home to my new digs at Neutral Bay.

Like most players, I struggle to sleep after a big match. I usually tape the game and watch it on the same night - which I do until about 2am.

Somehow I've forgotten my $1000 cheque for man of the match is in the back of my car! I have to grab it before someone nicks it.

Sunday

We have a recovery swim at Clovelly Beach. All the boys are very relaxed - until we hit the water. It's bloody freezing.

Smithy gives us the rest of the day off and it's apparent we're in for a pretty light week.

By this stage of the season we've trained enough and know each other well enough not to change too many things.

A big part of our bonding is spending time together outside training. Coogee is a popular meeting spot for the boys because a lot live in the area. Todd Carney and Jake Friend share a flat off the main drag.

We head down there for breakfast and coffee. I prefer hot chocolate and strawberry milkshakes. As has been pretty well documented, most of us are off the grog.

I head back home and my girlfriend comes over for the night. We rent an old Adam Sandler film, Big Daddy. It's good to chill out and forget about footy. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't starting to think about the Titans.

Monday

We have morning massages but then it's basically another free day.

Considering the long season, my body is feeling pretty good. But although I'm only 21 years old, I can feel the need to stretch and look after it a lot more than when I debuted as a teenager in 2007.

I had a bad back injury early in my career, but that was probably through being a bit small and having the bigger blokes run at me all day. I've been pretty lucky since and I feel 100 per cent this week.

I spend the afternoon decorating the house with pictures I bought from Ikea. They are photos of New York and Paris. I'm going for the metrosexual look!

Tuesday

A totally free day. I can sleep in until midday but today I get up around 10am.

A mate of mine has just flown back from the UK, so I catch up with him for lunch in North Ryde. I spend a lot of time with friends from outside footy who rarely talk shop.

But I am thinking about the game more and more when I'm alone. It's hard not to because I've never been this far into the finals.

Playing in big matches like this is the reason you pick up a footy as a kid and I want to really enjoy the experience.

As a team, we're really in the moment.

Wednesday

Smithy has us in at 9am for a video. We're concentrating on the Titans because we know what we can do now.

We go over the two games we played against them during the season - a win and a loss.

We played them at home a couple of weeks ago and weren't at our best. But it was a close game and they got two tries from lucky bounces.

That gives us the confidence to know we can turn the tables.

We have a field session and Smithy pulls me aside for a chat, which we do most weeks.

He wants to know how I'm feeling mentally. He's very relaxed and that's important because we've got quite a few young blokes who've never been in this position before.

We train on the SFS, which we're lucky to have because it feels like a dress rehearsal.

We train very well and there's no doubt we've become sharper in that area.

I head home and meet up with some mates for a Thai feed up the road. Although Neutral Bay is more renowned as a rugby union area, plenty of locals wish me and the Roosters good luck.

Thursday

I sleep over at my girlfriend's house in Coogee to be closer to the airport for our midday flight to Brisbane.

Jason Ryles and I share a taxi to the airport and for some reason I feel like being sick in the back seat. I get the driver to pull over and I swap seats with Rylsey. I felt better in the front seat.

We land in Brisbane and head straight to the Holiday Inn on Roma St. My roommate is Todd Carney.

Aside from spending every spare moment updating his Facebook page on his iPhone, Todd's a pretty good roomie.

Especially when you compare him to Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, who stinks the place out and never stops talking and singing to himself.

We have an evening run on Suncorp Stadium, which is awesome. We've won all three of our games in Queensland this year.

Smithy has has been getting famous and inspirational people to talk to us before each game: Alan Jones, Johnny Lewis and Tommy Raudonikis to name a few. As I write this, I still didn't know who Smithy has organised this time around.

Today

I like to eat well on game day, so either side of our team walk I'll have a decent feed at the team breakfast or lunch.

The afternoon will be free time, so I can see myself shopping in the city. I reckon I will also squeeze a nap in.

I'll probably listen to a few Eminem tunes before the whistle blows.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That was a pretty good read. Wish more players did this.

Vargster

Moderfaker
Reaction score
Yeah semi-interesting.

I wish Ennis would do one - would be excellent ;)

P

Paint.

Wait - what? So they had only one actual training session all week? =/

Status
Not open for further replies.