Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds about right. We use Microsoft CRM at work which has been running like shit too but it's a shit CRM so I take any problems with a grain of salt.
From doing a bit more reading, XBOX services DO run off Azure servers.

What I'm not 100% sure about is the regioning.

Initial MS cloud setups (inc Office 365) all ran out of Singapore.

Then I think it was 2014 Australia EAST was kicked off as an Microsoft Cloud region (colocated in Melb and Sydney), followed by Australia Central (located in Canberra) around 2017.

Pretty sure they aren't Microsoft owned DCs technically, but rather run out of Equinix in Syd/Melb/Canberra.

However that may not include XBOX services. If they aren't local they'll be running from Singapore.

Just on subsea cables, apparently Google have greenlit a number of subsea ring cables in ASIAPAC region...

INDIGO - Syd > Perth > Indonesia > Singapore (via Bass Straight and Southern Australia). Two fiber paids and ~18tbps bandwith
JGA-South - Syd > Guam (Twin pair fibre cable)
HK-G - Guam > Hong Kong

Intended bandwidth up to 36 Tbp/sec (terabytes/sec) combined deployment.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
From doing a bit more reading, XBOX services DO run off Azure servers.

What I'm not 100% sure about is the regioning.

Initial MS cloud setups (inc Office 365) all ran out of Singapore.

Then I think it was 2014 Australia EAST was kicked off as an Microsoft Cloud region (colocated in Melb and Sydney), followed by Australia Central (located in Canberra) around 2017.

Pretty sure they aren't Microsoft owned DCs technically, but rather run out of Equinix in Syd/Melb/Canberra.

However that may not include XBOX services. If they aren't local they'll be running from Singapore.

Just on subsea cables, apparently Google have greenlit a number of subsea ring cables in ASIAPAC region...

INDIGO - Syd > Perth > Indonesia > Singapore (via Bass Straight and Southern Australia). Two fiber paids and ~18tbps bandwith
JGA-South - Syd > Guam (Twin pair fibre cable)
HK-G - Guam > Hong Kong

Intended bandwidth up to 36 Tbp/sec (terabytes/sec) combined deployment.
Our US cloud servers at work run off the US servers (which is bloody annoying)

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As an odd twist to the whole Microsoft issue, turns out the problem was with Optus. For some reason Optus auto-throttled Microsoft traffic to the point where people could barely connect. Looks like the issue has been fixed now.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
My copy of Yakuza 6 just turned up and in a couple of days my copy of God of War will be here too.

I haven't played any of the Yakuza games before but it has pretty decent reviews so thought i'd give it a go.

We all know GOW is gonna be epic, so that was an easy purchase for me.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Got back from a business trip today and had the rest of the day off work. Perfect timing as God of War was released today.

Spent about 2 hours playing it. Brilliant game.

It has 4 difficulty level:

1) Story mode (follow the story. Easy as you can get. Don't think you can die)
2) Story and Action mode (like your normal game. Standard gameplay. Pretty challenging)
3) Challenging mode (ridiculously hard. I'm playing on this mode. Took me 10 goes before I beat the first group of enemies)
4) God of War mode (die in seconds of a fight starting. You can't change difficulty setting while playing. Pretty much impossible)

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Got back from a business trip today and had the rest of the day off work. Perfect timing as God of War was released today.

Spent about 2 hours playing it. Brilliant game.

It has 4 difficulty level:

1) Story mode (follow the story. Easy as you can get. Don't think you can die)
2) Story and Action mode (like your normal game. Standard gameplay. Pretty challenging)
3) Challenging mode (ridiculously hard. I'm playing on this mode. Took me 10 goes before I beat the first group of enemies)
4) God of War mode (die in seconds of a fight starting. You can't change difficulty setting while playing. Pretty much impossible)
How do they expect you for finish GOW mode if you're dead within seconds?

Wahesh

Reaction score
Hide in a corner and maybe they'll eventually leave you alone.
Or... YouTube it. You'll get these noobs that know how to do all that stuff lol. I remember I got stuck on a level in one of those old Hitman games and then YT showed me what to do. Since then I've used YT as a source.

Is this one of those games you grow in levels and get stronger, and can then pass that level/growth onto the GOW game made?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I gave it a go. It's doable but damn near impossible. The enemies are tougher and the longer they survive in the fight the stronger they get. I thought my strategy of running away and hitting them at a distance was smart until I realised that they kept leveling up as I fought them.

The biggest challenge of the game is fighting several enemies at one, especially if they all have different attack patterns.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Or... YouTube it. You'll get these noobs that know how to do all that stuff lol. Is this one of those games you grow in levels and get stronger, and can then pass that level/growth onto the GOW game made?
You do get stronger through new armour, and weapon/armour/skill upgrades, but you can't carry it on to GOW mode. You can constantly change difficulty throughout the game but you can't change to the hardest difficulty unless you start a new game with all base stats.

The plus side is that the game is entirely skill based. Even though you get upgrades you don't really need them. If you're skilled enough then you can go through the whole game without upgrading anything.

Wahesh

Reaction score
You do get stronger through new armour, and weapon/armour/skill upgrades, but you can't carry it on to GOW mode. You can constantly change difficulty throughout the game but you can't change to the hardest difficulty unless you start a new game with all base stats.

The plus side is that the game is entirely skill based. Even though you get upgrades you don't really need them. If you're skilled enough then you can go through the whole game without upgrading anything.
No need to answer my edited post then lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Picked up GOW at cost price thanks to my fucking top charm, hopefully this lives up to the hype as i'm playing all night until the Liverpool match.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Detroit Beyond Human Master sent out today from Quantic Dream.. and the game demo I believe comes out today on Australian store.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Picked up GOW at cost price thanks to my fucking top charm, hopefully this lives up to the hype as i'm playing all night until the Liverpool match.
It's friggin' amazing. GOW that is. Not Liverpool. They can suck it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Detroit Beyond Human Master sent out today from Quantic Dream.. and the game demo I believe comes out today on Australian store.
Based on early play sessions it sounds like it's good but it suffers from the same thing all Quantic Dream's other games suffer from. The habit of putting too many annoying, time wasting mechanics in the game. Farenheit did that but it was carried by an excellent story. Heavy Rain did it even worse with a less interesting story. Didn't play Beyond: Two Souls but I heard it was even worse.

Detroit Beyond Human looks really cool but I get sick of the way they handle these games now. They've started focusing more on the pointless, time wasting mechanics than the actual story. Hopefully the final product is a lot better.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's friggin' amazing. GOW that is. Not Liverpool. They can suck it.
Yh it's pretty sick. I'm playing on the 3rd hardest difficulty and it's a decent challenge for me.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Based on early play sessions it sounds like it's good but it suffers from the same thing all Quantic Dream's other games suffer from. The habit of putting too many annoying, time wasting mechanics in the game. Farenheit did that but it was carried by an excellent story. Heavy Rain did it even worse with a less interesting story. Didn't play Beyond: Two Souls but I heard it was even worse.

Detroit Beyond Human looks really cool but I get sick of the way they handle these games now. They've started focusing more on the pointless, time wasting mechanics than the actual story. Hopefully the final product is a lot better.
I enjoy those immersive sort of games though. Be interesting to see how they make the stories work though.

Their story writing is second to none.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I enjoy those immersive sort of games though. Be interesting to see how they make the stories work though.

Their story writing is second to none.
I really need to play Beyond Two Souls. I loved Fahrenheit but I absolutely hated Heavy Rain. I thought it was the most boring, contrived story I had seen in a game. So many plot points raised and never answered. The story seemed to jump around the place. I guess it's going to happen when your actions effect the story but this just didn't do it well while Until Dawn did the same thing but did it really well.

The thing that annoyed me most was the killer. It's a murder mystery but the killer turns out to be the one you least expect. I can't remember them droppin a single clue to tell you that he's the killer. It felt like they wrote random stuff until the end then said, "hmmm. We need a killer. That one will do"