Opinion Pays’ game plan

altair

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just rewatched the match and was interested to see Pays’ game plan against the Storm that had them rattled.

It was a one-two punch up the guys then spread right then back left. Followed up by a bomb and a single line chase.

No doubt the bomb was the safest option instead of having the storms back three returning the balls off a punt and broken play.

The only thing stopping us from winning other than Ben “I love” CUMmins was not only luck but a little bit of class.

Reimia smith dropped a potential intercept and Okunbor had no support on his breaks.

But back to Pays game plan we definitely saw a strategy and purpose. Something much different to the Des Hasler days.

What are your thoughts?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was brilliant and from Pay and great to see. I just wish we went back and attacked Croft and Scott more in the second half after it had been so successful in the first half.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree, Pay had a game plan and boys executed well.... almost 100%

Complete reversal from the first game of the season.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
i feel like we have a habit of taking the foot of the throat.. for a large portion of the game we went away from what worked for us early on and only went back to it late in the game when we fell behind..

This is certainly not pays fault, more of a confidence thing with a young team.. once a bit of lead is gained, they go into self preservation mode..

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
the long passes from halfback to five-eight without any block runners is a nice throwback to the 90s.

altair

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
i feel like we have a habit of taking the foot of the throat.. for a large portion of the game we went away from what worked for us early on and only went back to it late in the game when we fell behind..

This is certainly not pays fault, more of a confidence thing with a young team.. once a bit of lead is gained, they go into self preservation mode..
I definitely agree

But I do think that was in part due to fatigue caused by losing Napa and CHN for 10-15 minutes.

Good to see the boys still giving it a shot in the last 10 minutes

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup great game plan, executed well, we actually out classed them all across the park !! Let’s face it , take away 1 or 2 dud calls that game is ours all day long.

Love how the team is traveling at the moment, building very nicely and the effort is there 120% a young team with a few older boys rattling cages !!!

EPIC !!

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m one to say that Pay wasn’t my first, second or even third choice coach.

But in saying that, I did notice shortly after kickoff there was a game plan the boys were adhering to. Then it got more distinct the more I watched on. That’s what I like to see in a team. Also some adlib football thrown in here and there (based on footy instincts) and you got yourself an actual League Team.

The real test for a coach is keeping the boys hunger and drive up throughout the season. If we have the same mentality and execution for around 20 of the rounds (hard to get 100% of the games), then he has done well for a coach. Let’s see how we go in another 10 rounds

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similar to the one vs parra? At least the first 15 mins of that game. They spread the ball early in that game too

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I definitely agree

But I do think that was in part due to fatigue caused by losing Napa and CHN for 10-15 minutes.

Good to see the boys still giving it a shot in the last 10 minutes

yep, the fitness of the team is still not up to the mark and you can see in every game they get tired more than the opposition at the end every single time.

Rhys Martin was absolutely gassed in the last 15 minutes.

We need a decent fitness coach badly. Lobster has stayed in this job for far too long and continue to be the one of the least fit teams in the comp.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
yep, the fitness of the team is still not up to the mark and you can see in every game they get tired more than the opposition at the end every single time.

Rhys Martin was absolutely gassed in the last 15 minutes.

We need a decent fitness coach badly. Lobster has stayed in this job for far too long and continue to be the one of the least fit teams in the comp.
Check your facts before posting nonsense ..

Grimaldi has been there for a while and it was not long ago in des era that we used to grind out teams by 1 -4 point victories .. this was done due to supreme fitness and lack of imagination in attack

No matter how fit your team is when you lose a middle forward very early on like Napa yesterday the rest of the forwards are required to pick up the slack against a team that will grind and grind ..

There is absolutely no negatives in that performance yesterday and if that is the standard we play at this year , we will make the semi finals !!

Malla

Reaction score
What this game plan did is show that Croft could get run over in a phone booth and Cam Smith is an absolute turnstile in defense.

Melbourne are kidding themselves if they think they're a chance to win the comp and Cam Smith is still fucking Yvonne Sampson if he doesn't believe this is his last season.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yes definitely signs that he can coach, don't know if some would be happy with that though.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Check your facts before posting nonsense ..

Grimaldi has been there for a while and it was not long ago in des era that we used to grind out teams by 1 -4 point victories .. this was done due to supreme fitness and lack of imagination in attack

No matter how fit your team is when you lose a middle forward very early on like Napa yesterday the rest of the forwards are required to pick up the slack against a team that will grind and grind ..

There is absolutely no negatives in that performance yesterday and if that is the standard we play at this year , we will make the semi finals !!

What drugs are you on?

Nonsense is saying that we have no issues with our fitness and the fact of the matter is that up untill last year we were the laziest, unfit and the SLOWEST team in the comp.

Des's game plan was totally based on defence and all our players were tackling machines, that use to tire the fuck out of them so much so that we never made more than 35 meters a set on the average under Des.

the talent we had in our roster we should have won couple of premierships under Des as proven by the players who left us did excel and win premierships with other teams.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just rewatched the match and was interested to see Pays’ game plan against the Storm that had them rattled.

It was a one-two punch up the guys then spread right then back left. Followed up by a bomb and a single line chase.

No doubt the bomb was the safest option instead of having the storms back three returning the balls off a punt and broken play.

The only thing stopping us from winning other than Ben “I love” CUMmins was not only luck but a little bit of class.

Reimia smith dropped a potential intercept and Okunbor had no support on his breaks.

But back to Pays game plan we definitely saw a strategy and purpose. Something much different to the Des Hasler days.

What are your thoughts?
Was waiting for someone to post about this. Was great to see a strategy aimed specifically to get a result against that opponent. Like our squad, I think he’ll keep improving. Good effort from Pay.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay as a coach is like our team - inexperienced.

But the pleasing signs are that he seems to be learning with every FG game.

Just as you wouldn't expext Lewis to come into FG and be Andrew Johns, you can't expext Pay to be Wayne Bennett after 20 FG games.

As long as he learns, evolves and improves, can we ask much more of him?

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What drugs are you on?

Nonsense is saying that we have no issues with our fitness and the fact of the matter is that up untill last year we were the laziest, unfit and the SLOWEST team in the comp.

Des's game plan was totally based on defence and all our players were tackling machines, that use to tire the fuck out of them so much so that we never made more than 35 meters a set on the average under Des.

the talent we had in our roster we should have won couple of premierships under Des as proven by the players who left us did excel and win premierships with other teams.
Evidentially not the same as yours ..

I’ll try to talk some logic and reason but I’m probably flogging a dead horse ..

I will state the obvious and the simple fact of the matter is fitness had nothing to do with anything in yesterday’s effort ..

We are talking about probably the youngest team in the comp against season veteran campaigners . A team that knows how to grind results against a team learning their craft .. A team that lost their most experienced player last week and second most experienced early on against an old warhorses..

If you had a little inside knowledge you would probably understand the turn around in the last 2 weeks.. lack of fitness would not have seen impressive performances from last 2 weeks , you would have seen us fade badly like warriors first round ..

The turnaround in performances came late last year and we are seeing a similar game now last 2 weeks and I cannot see any issue with speed, fitness or strength but only with experience and class

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Evidentially not the same as yours ..

I’ll try to talk some logic and reason but I’m probably flogging a dead horse ..

I will state the obvious and the simple fact of the matter is fitness had nothing to do with anything in yesterday’s effort ..

We are talking about probably the youngest team in the comp against season veteran campaigners . A team that knows how to grind results against a team learning their craft .. A team that lost their most experienced player last week and second most experienced early on against an old warhorses..

If you had a little inside knowledge you would probably understand the turn around in the last 2 weeks.. lack of fitness would not have seen impressive performances from last 2 weeks , you would have seen us fade badly like warriors first round ..

The turnaround in performances came late last year and we are seeing a similar game now last 2 weeks and I cannot see any issue with speed, fitness or strength but only with experience and class

well we did fade away at the end of both games, didnt we?

infact all 4 games we started well but couldnt keep on.

Against the Eels we had the 80% possession for the first half hour but as soon as Eels got the possession back we were absoutely exhausted despite Eels doing all the defence and tackling.

Under Des we have always been the slowest team in the comp with absolutely no energy at the back end of the games this was partly due to the defensive game plan and shit diet and training regime we had in place.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys

What are your thoughts?
If Meaney backs up Okunbor's two clean line breaks, that would of been two tries for Meaney under the sticks. We could of very easily beaten them 28-12.
But it will come with experience. It took Patten a while as well to back up breaks when he first came on the scene, but then became a master at it.
As Bellyache said, Storm were lucky to get away with the win.