Opinion Pay vs Barrett: Opening 4 Rounds Comparison 2020 vs 2021

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let’s go back and make comparisons to Ted Glossop or Warren Ryan
Really he’s 4 games in let’s see how things pan out in a measured time frame.
We just need to settle a bit.
These injuries and stupid suspensions haven’t helped so early in our season.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Was Barrett pinched or did we have him dumped on our door step in the middle of the night?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay first 4 rounds of 2020 - 46 points scored an average of 11.5 points per game

Barrett first 4 rounds of 2021 - 16 points scored an average of 4 points per game
Barrett has signed Cotric, JAC and Hetherington.

Pay signed.....sorry can I get back to you?

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is the dumbest thread ever
This is not a dumb thread.

I am in camp “let’s give Barrett time”, but from a fan’s perspective it’s easy to ask these questions and make comparisons. That’s what passionate fans do. They demand accountability and ask questions, with the club’s long term future in mind.

Barrett, by and large, is an unsuccessful coach. His record as head coach is pretty lacklustre. This information was well known to the club prior to signing him. This is interesting, given that there were other coaches on the market at the time with far better resumes and records. I know Holbrook is not available, but a quick look at his record shows that success has followed the guy around - he can coach and has an awesome track record, albeit with little NRL experience. I think many Dogs fans wanted a candidate like Holbrook...when Barrett was being sounded out, I must admit, I cocked my head like a confused puppy (no pun intended)...

Either Barrett was the only one who showed interest or club executives know more than we do about his potential. I am hoping the latter! I think we have to take the whole Penrith attacking coach role with a grain of salt - a different role, different context and he wasn’t the main man. Check out all the assistant coaches who have not had things go their way as head coaches, the list is long....it’s no guarantee - see Jason Taylor.

Overall, I think there are many fans who are not sure why Barrett is the coach. Why did the club pursue him so aggressively? Particularly given that if this doesn’t work out, it could set the club back years.

People want to see an improvement from the Pay years. That was the whole reason for shifting to Barrett.

Let’s see what happens this weekend, I think fans are looking improvement, semi competitive would be great. This is what we’ve been asking for since round one.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay first 4 rounds of 2020 - 46 points scored an average of 11.5 points per game

Barrett first 4 rounds of 2021 - 16 points scored an average of 4 points per game
Is there any signinficant difference in those stats, they're both low totals and we're losing games.

The only differences of note are that we're a new team trying very new things, albeit unsuccessfully at the moment, and there are new rules making it easier for teams winning and harder for teams losing. Look at the difference in point margins, most are big.

Lets give more time then make some year to year comparisons.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With next to no money.
What else was he going to do?
He signed Napa on $650k for 3 years. How is that no money ??

Stimson signed on good coin.

Lichha played 2 good games in 3 years yet Dean agreed to re-sign him.

I actually think Pay wasn’t as bad as people think. The players tried their guts out for him and there are some NRL coaches who would love that trait.

My issue is the comparison to him and Baz after 4 rounds

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay was basically on NRL coach survivor while Barrett is on crazy rich asians

I wasn’t a fan of Pay by the end and after all the talk I thought our attack would improve under Barrett instead we’ve been setting records for lack of points

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not batting for Pay but that’s a pretty unfair comparison. One had a war chest to spend and the other had lint and toilet paper to offer..Plus he had to ask for permission to spend the lint.
Comparisons???? The game has changed also and there are more points scored due to the rule changes compared to when Pay was coach. You are not comparing the same game rules that have had a huge influence on points for and against.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
With next to no money.
What else was he going to do?
I think Napa is on a pretty penny mate and Stimson ok money for his experience. Reality is it’s ridiculously early to make some of the assessments people are making after 4 rounds. After round 12 if we are not starting to score tries and well advanced on our recruitment for 2022 then I’d be a bit worried. Right now as tough as the losses are to take Baz sounds like he’s well in control and understands what needs to be done, he doesn’t seem lost at all in interviews. But I mean if people are going to have a pre conceived opinion of a coach or player it wouldn’t really matter what happens they will always find a way to make a thread about it. The fact is we don’t have a lot of depth at the minute yet we have been smashed with injuries and suspensions. Not exactly anyone’s fault. Update: well maybe Des to a degree :tearsofjoy:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Clearly the thread is designed to highlight our regression under TB or to point out Pay was doing a better job, but it’s not an equal comparison when the opposition is not like-for-like, changes in rules and if factoring in player availability.

TB’s definitely not setting the World on fire, but we just have to be patient with him and judge him in 2022.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
going to have to see what TBAZ can do over the coming Months an into 22, just the fact he chose to come here and take this challenge on says aloft about him, what a tough decision to make, and could kill his coaching career. Must have faith until the fat lady sings.!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think Napa is on a pretty penny mate and Stimson ok money for his experience. Reality is it’s ridiculously early to make some of the assessments people are making after 4 rounds. After round 12 if we are not starting to score tries and well advanced on our recruitment for 2022 then I’d be a bit worried. Right now as tough as the losses are to take Baz sounds like he’s well in control and understands what needs to be done, he doesn’t seem lost at all in interviews. But I mean if people are going to have a pre conceived opinion of a coach or player it wouldn’t really matter what happens they will always find a way to make a thread about it. The fact is we don’t have a lot of depth at the minute yet we have been smashed with injuries and suspensions. Not exactly anyone’s fault. Update: well maybe Des to a degree :tearsofjoy:
Napa signed with Klemmer’s money mate.
Not sure about Stimson but not top dollar.
The rest I don’t disagree. I’m not anti Baz at all. We’ve had a very disappointing start but of course it’s going to take time. Same as some on here were bagging Thommo after 2 games last year. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him by a long shot. Hopefully a glimpse of that begins from this Saturday.

Last edited: