Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely a bit over this ‘all in’ notion. We must be the dumbest organization alive cause when we were ‘all in’ our roster was lucky to be top 8. Besides Barba in his breakout year we didn’t have one super star. Even Barba didn’t play for Australia or even origin! (Not including PM squad cause we all know that is the second tier)
We had the Morris’s n Jackson playing origin. Big deal. Not key positions either.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Bit off topic but relevant all the same

I had a few beers last night with Kiwi great Tawera Nikau and obviously talking footy and the dogs current plight (yes I brought it up)

Interesting to hear that he credits the sustainable success the Storm have achieved to the foundations built by Chris Anderson

“The family values that the dogs enjoyed in their rich history was adopted by the Storm’

I asked why the Dogs are shithouse today

He said he believes that (like we already know) the old board and coaching staff went all in on that window of 3-4 years to win a premiership and that they overlooked the long term future of the club (today)

He said the board will turn it around but “although Deano is a great bloke’ he’s not the man to lead the club to future success

I also said what about the notion he has a shit roster and he said that’s he’s had time to mould the playing group to a game plan that would work to their strengths
Couldn't give a shit about values when the football department is in shambles.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So essentially Dib n co put our whole future on deuce/seven off suit (and over extended themselves with even that) while other clubs were dealt bullets or pocket Kings and didn’t make excuses or write off their next five years. What a monumental fuck up.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
A few questions DD as I value your insight and am genuinely curious.

Is it ok to criticise the Bulldogs players here but not the Bulldogs coach or board?

Shouldn’t our “State of the Art” training facilities assist in improving the professional athletes at the club or don’t they use them properly?

Is it the support staff that aren’t getting the best out of the players or helping them improve their obvious and repeated deficiencies?

Did many of the players fluke it to the top grade?
Mate everyone is accountable so it's fine to ask questions of anyone - particularly if it's emerging that delivery is a problem.
We're clearly not delivering on the field right now, but most of that has been our own fault rather than being completely outclassed (exceptions Roosters/Eagles in my view).
We really should've won that Sharks game, we were terrible against the Cowboys and could've beaten the Eels in Round 1.
So who's to blame - the players, coach or board? Instead of being 1 and 5 we could be 3 and 3 and it's a different conversation.

As you'd be aware I've said repeatedly I'll only judge the club by mid-2021 as by then we have no cap restrictions and another election is approaching.
Right now there's plenty of noise because lack of results bring unrest. I'm only interested in what's best for the club - if the board/exec/recruitment team don't deliver us a competitive squad for 2021 as they said they would - questions need to and will be asked.
If with an improved squad the on field results don't improve - there likely has to be a coaching change.
But it has to play out. If we react emotionally we likely don't solve much.

To answer your other questions:
- Our facilities were state of the art when they opened in 2011. There is already discussions about a next-gen centre of excellence because most clubs have already caught up to what we have today - so that 'advantage' has been pretty much eroded.
- It's been a bit over a year since staffing changes were made to the football department. I've no doubt this is an agenda item at board meetings in terms of how effective it is and what might need to change. People on here criticise 'chopping and changing' - well that applies to staff as well.
- Several observers have pointed out that very few of our first grade team would get a start in first grade at other clubs - so that lends itself back to the cap problems we've had and what we need to improve for 2021.

I still say let it play out. And if we don't significantly improve for 2021 then by all means swing the axe.
Some don't agree and believe it's time to swing the axe now.
We shall see...

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
So who is that person in your view?
Has he lost the dressing room?
A bunch are leaving this year anyway.
Irrespective of what’s happened to now my question remains: is Pay being coach hindering future signings? I’ve seen no evidence either way. The board would obviously be compelled to act if the answer to that was a clear yes.
Not for me to say who would be a better coach,just that this one has not done what I would expect a coach to do in the time frame he has had.
Lost the dressing shed? I believe so and I have spoken to managers and players alike.They are confused and he is not a very good communicator.
Am not sure what evidence you would like other than an interview with player/ managers.Pay is part of the problem not the whole problem.
Admitting there is a problem is the only way to fix it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bit off topic but relevant all the same

I had a few beers last night with Kiwi great Tawera Nikau and obviously talking footy and the dogs current plight (yes I brought it up)

Interesting to hear that he credits the sustainable success the Storm have achieved to the foundations built by Chris Anderson

“The family values that the dogs enjoyed in their rich history was adopted by the Storm’

I asked why the Dogs are shithouse today

He said he believes that (like we already know) the old board and coaching staff went all in on that window of 3-4 years to win a premiership and that they overlooked the long term future of the club (today)

He said the board will turn it around but “although Deano is a great bloke’ he’s not the man to lead the club to future success

I also said what about the notion he has a shit roster and he said that’s he’s had time to mould the playing group to a game plan that would work to their strengths
Always loved him, tough as nails.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not for me to say who would be a better coach,just that this one has not done what I would expect a coach to do in the time frame he has had.
Lost the dressing shed? I believe so and I have spoken to managers and players alike.They are confused and he is not a very good communicator.
Am not sure what evidence you would like other than an interview with player/ managers.Pay is part of the problem not the whole problem.
Admitting there is a problem is the only way to fix it.
Interesting, thanks.
So if he's lost the shed (despite what they're saying publicly) and it's hindering recruitment then the board really don't have a choice, do they?
The question is, is it a month from now like what allegedly emerged from last night or is it the end of the season?
And if the outcome is becoming more obvious - how far down the road are they in securing an alternative?

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks.
So if he's lost the shed (despite what they're saying publicly) and it's hindering recruitment then the board really don't have a choice, do they?
The question is, is it a month from now like what allegedly emerged from last night or is it the end of the season?
And if the outcome is becoming more obvious - how far down the road are they in securing an alternative?
If I was a board member I would be able to answer that,maybe in the future lol.
I fail to see what difference a month will make,if we win all games has the roster finally got better with same players,has coach changed his ways etc. I think it’s a stalling tactic but does no favours for coach,players or supporters.
The board need to “ man up” and let everybody know,conjecture and innuendo will kill recruitment and people have long memories

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If I was a board member I would be able to answer that,maybe in the future lol.
I fail to see what difference a month will make,if we win all games has the roster finally got better with same players,has coach changed his ways etc. I think it’s a stalling tactic but does no favours for coach,players or supporters.
The board need to “ man up” and let everybody know,conjecture and innuendo will kill recruitment and people have long memories
That's what I was asking last night, if he turns around 3 years of rubbish and manage to win these 4 games, why does it take him threatened to be sacked to get him to do what is is paid to to and why didn't do it in the previous years?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don't play into this old board v new board bullshit but honestly what has the new board done for us to say they are better than the old mob of duds?

Either they are that incompetent not to see that pay clearly isn't the man for the job or they are that dumb that they defend the un-defendable.

Not really assuring to us either way.

A

Alexander the Great

They are greedy turds. The sooner players start to manage themselves the better.

How stupid are those player managers !! Missing out on more money for their players stupid dumb fucks

A

Alexander the Great

Yes.

Do you know which player/managers won't deal with us?

That's quite a lot of playing talent not available to us to strengthen the team if true.

We've all heard the rumours but who are these player/managers, and therefore players, we apparently have no chance of signing.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I guess we will see just how much these players ‘back Pay’ over the next weeks starting this Sunday

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If pay is really bad at communicating and is always being told to make changes, then why is the board still keeping him on?

A

Alexander the Great

• David Fafita
  • Cam Smith
  • Chris McQueen
  • Ryan James
  • Proctor
  • Blake Green
All far better players compared to what we are working with at the moment.

And who are the genuine "off contract" stars that you want us to sign? Cotric is one of the few genuine talents who is off contract. To land someone of note we need to entice them to break their contract.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate everyone is accountable so it's fine to ask questions of anyone - particularly if it's emerging that delivery is a problem.
We're clearly not delivering on the field right now, but most of that has been our own fault rather than being completely outclassed (exceptions Roosters/Eagles in my view).
We really should've won that Sharks game, we were terrible against the Cowboys and could've beaten the Eels in Round 1.
So who's to blame - the players, coach or board? Instead of being 1 and 5 we could be 3 and 3 and it's a different conversation.

As you'd be aware I've said repeatedly I'll only judge the club by mid-2021 as by then we have no cap restrictions and another election is approaching.
Right now there's plenty of noise because lack of results bring unrest. I'm only interested in what's best for the club - if the board/exec/recruitment team don't deliver us a competitive squad for 2021 as they said they would - questions need to and will be asked.
If with an improved squad the on field results don't improve - there likely has to be a coaching change.
But it has to play out. If we react emotionally we likely don't solve much.

To answer your other questions:
- Our facilities were state of the art when they opened in 2011. There is already discussions about a next-gen centre of excellence because most clubs have already caught up to what we have today - so that 'advantage' has been pretty much eroded.
- It's been a bit over a year since staffing changes were made to the football department. I've no doubt this is an agenda item at board meetings in terms of how effective it is and what might need to change. People on here criticise 'chopping and changing' - well that applies to staff as well.
- Several observers have pointed out that very few of our first grade team would get a start in first grade at other clubs - so that lends itself back to the cap problems we've had and what we need to improve for 2021.

I still say let it play out. And if we don't significantly improve for 2021 then by all means swing the axe.
Some don't agree and believe it's time to swing the axe now.
We shall see...
Thanks for the detailed reply mate. I agree and honestly had already written 2020 (and 2019 and 2018) off as just being also rans. Remaining patient is tough and we’re all hopeful, not yet confident, to see all aspects of the club improve not just the playing roster.

My old man is a Souths supporter and I remember him joking in the early 2000’s that their wins were so enjoyable as they were so rare haha. Sad we’re in the same boat

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
  • David Fafita
  • Cam Smith
  • Chris McQueen
  • Ryan James
  • Proctor
  • Blake Green
All far better players compared to what we are working with at the moment.
These are either shit, retiring, unobtainable or shit