Pay to be spared the axe for now... but Bulldogs’ $3m headache remains

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Very uneducated. What I'd like V'landys to do is to have the NRL publish the salaries of ALL CLUB ROSTERS.
In all the US professional sports leagues, teams have their official salary rosters published. Be it NHL MLB NBA NFL...or the soccer league, team salaries are published. Look up a team.
So if it can be published in USA why the hell cant it be published here for NRL AFL etc?
It is of public interest that the salaries are published. Transparency demands it. There are no privacy concerns. If there were valid reasons for not publishing don't you think US lawyers would sue for breach of privacy? Publishing salaries keeps all stakeholders honest.
Isn't it about time fans and clubs and players see what players are really getting paid? Wouldn't publishing salaries bring more order to the competition and remove the constant innuendo of cap cheating surrounding some teams? Wouldn't it be fairer for players negotiating their worth in an open transparent marketplace?
Roosters would still give their players shit on the side

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have 3.75mil in the bank to spend and we can't get any bites.
Either the coach or the people calling the shots are the issues here. One has to go.
And who are the genuine "off contract" stars that you want us to sign? Cotric is one of the few genuine talents who is off contract. To land someone of note we need to entice them to break their contract.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To many excuses, this same shit squad were arguably the form team at the end of the last 2 years. What happens for the rest of year?

Now they look lost out there, players not in right spot, interchange usage garbage, attack garbage. Pay said We don’t have a proper 9 yet (katoa) a proper 9 never given a run etc etc. I was all for giving pay a chance but imo he’s not up to head coach.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
All we need is two Marquee players like a Cook or a Munster, get a smarter coach in there, and nurture our young guns coming through(Averillo, Topine) and you'll have a hell of a team.
What’s everyone on about sack pay and get who?we haven’t got a decent roster.until pay goes and gets a hooker and some other quality players let’s judge him then.season is a right of any way.anyonewho thought we could get into the top 8 this year is dreaming

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
2 player managers refuse to deal with us at the moment. What does that tell you?

Start with a coach. The rebuild starts from the top.
Which ones mate?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
2 player managers refuse to deal with us at the moment. What does that tell you?

Do you know which player/managers won't deal with us?

That's quite a lot of playing talent not available to us to strengthen the team if true.

We've all heard the rumours but who are these player/managers, and therefore players, we apparently have no chance of signing.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah the hooker is probably the most influential position in the spine. JMK makes our forwards look bad with his service, that extra second he takes to pass the ball to the forwards kills any momentum they may build up when they run onto the ball because they receive the ball with the defenders in their face already. Not to mention how many times he goes the wrong way when we have the advantage on one side of the field. The top dummy halfs also set the line speed of the defence, something JMK has never done.

You can't just turn a player into a good hooker, its a position which requires a lot of instinct and smart football players. A lot of the best hookers aren't the biggest, fastest (excluding Cook) or strongest but they have a very high Footy IQ, they see things before it happens and they get quick passes away to their forwards.
If Pay was a good coach, just hampered with a poor roster, why aren't the poor dummy half reads and the importance of the position and skill needed, obvious to him as well.

I think that is the major criticism of him. He can't seem to address the known inadequacies, or have much effect with real change to the teams success rate, even with the little things he can influence.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

How stupid are those player managers !! Missing out on more money for their players stupid dumb fucks

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
To the members who say repeatedly that no one could coach this team to a finals berth because of lack of skill etc and Pay doesn’t have the “tools” at his disposal,success is not based on how many wins a coach gets.If that was the case then only one coach per year is deemed a success and the rest “ can’t coach” As stated before Pay has done nothing ,besides Adam Elliot according to a few on here,to improve the players.If you say that oh wait til he gets better player,he has had near 3 years to make better players.You don’t put a first year apprentice in the corner and wish he was a tradesman...you show him what it takes...has Pay done that?
The successful clubs and I mean coaches are the ones that develop players and then reap what they sow...
Forget the b.s of let’s see how he goes because once the super team is assembled they will only be good until age catches up with them because we have no development coming thru.
JMK,Smith,Holland etc are continually bagged for their deficiencies but surely they should have been coached properly to strengthen their game...anybody seen that yet?
This is why a new coach is needed ,not because of the roster we have but because it hasn’t shown improvement...Rant over ...

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bennett won at Saints with a roster he didn't build, csme in tweaked it, won a comp then left Dragons in a mess
Went to Newcastle and fucked em over big time
Went to Broncos with a team he didn't build , lost an unlosable GF. Signs duds like Jack Bird, Milf, ben barba, boyd then fucks off to Souths leaving Broncos in a mess
Currently at Souths and has done fuck all, can't even recruit a decent player besides LM and he is shit atm. They are on a downhill slide

So what the fuck is this imposter good for. He should have retired ages ago instead of disgracing himself. And why are we even after this lunatic. Pay at least is 1m cheaper a year for same shit results

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
To the members who say repeatedly that no one could coach this team to a finals berth because of lack of skill etc and Pay doesn’t have the “tools” at his disposal,success is not based on how many wins a coach gets.If that was the case then only one coach per year is deemed a success and the rest “ can’t coach” As stated before Pay has done nothing ,besides Adam Elliot according to a few on here,to improve the players.If you say that oh wait til he gets better player,he has had near 3 years to make better players.You don’t put a first year apprentice in the corner and wish he was a tradesman...you show him what it takes...has Pay done that?
The successful clubs and I mean coaches are the ones that develop players and then reap what they sow...
Forget the b.s of let’s see how he goes because once the super team is assembled they will only be good until age catches up with them because we have no development coming thru.
JMK,Smith,Holland etc are continually bagged for their deficiencies but surely they should have been coached properly to strengthen their game...anybody seen that yet?
This is why a new coach is needed ,not because of the roster we have but because it hasn’t shown improvement...Rant over ...
So who is that person in your view?
Has he lost the dressing room?
A bunch are leaving this year anyway.
Irrespective of what’s happened to now my question remains: is Pay being coach hindering future signings? I’ve seen no evidence either way. The board would obviously be compelled to act if the answer to that was a clear yes.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Roosters would still give their players shit on the side
Probably. But they should still publish salaries and abolish TPA's which would reduce the avenues of cheating they use and make it easier to detect if irregularities were present. If they're even looking in the first place that is..

The only reason to keep salaries private and have TPA's is to ensure the bigger clubs can go well over the cap without detection or scrutiny.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
given you have to spend 95% of the cap, if we struggle to sign talent for next year we will again have a roster that is poor and overpaid.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m definitely not feeling Bennett. Look at last night.. still a better team than we will have next year on paper. They weren’t in the fight at all. Bennett would be a big mistake. Left too many clubs in despair. Bellamy is the only one for me. I think if we came next year we’d be close to a GF.
If I had to choose any other coaches I would go with Toovey (extremely hard done by at Manly and was up against it, did a good job if you followed the season) or possibly Hook. Again, Bellamy is the only one that guarantees results. The rest are pretty meh.
Look at Holbrook. People put shit on Pay but they have a better roster than us..
I’m not pro Pay and there are many things that baffle me but point is Bellamy would be our only guaranteed saviour

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
See my comment further down the thread on tradesman/tools. He’s been using screwdrivers without handles...
A few questions DD as I value your insight and am genuinely curious.

Is it ok to criticise the Bulldogs players here but not the Bulldogs coach or board?

Shouldn’t our “State of the Art” training facilities assist in improving the professional athletes at the club or don’t they use them properly?

Is it the support staff that aren’t getting the best out of the players or helping them improve their obvious and repeated deficiencies?

Did many of the players fluke it to the top grade?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bit off topic but relevant all the same

I had a few beers last night with Kiwi great Tawera Nikau and obviously talking footy and the dogs current plight (yes I brought it up)

Interesting to hear that he credits the sustainable success the Storm have achieved to the foundations built by Chris Anderson

“The family values that the dogs enjoyed in their rich history was adopted by the Storm’

I asked why the Dogs are shithouse today

He said he believes that (like we already know) the old board and coaching staff went all in on that window of 3-4 years to win a premiership and that they overlooked the long term future of the club (today)

He said the board will turn it around but “although Deano is a great bloke’ he’s not the man to lead the club to future success

I also said what about the notion he has a shit roster and he said that’s he’s had time to mould the playing group to a game plan that would work to their strengths