Pay Free Pass 2018?

What indicates unacceptable performance by Pay as head coach in 2018?

• Free pass, wooden spoon OK

Votes: 10 11.9%
  • Wooden spoon not OK, should be replaced

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Bottom 4 not OK, should be replaced

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Bottom 4 OK, so long as game Managment & player development improves

Votes: 59 70.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous. Jackson was clearly in an offside position and influenced the play, it's a penalty. Why the fuck should a hooker have to go out of his way to get around a player that shouldn't have been there? Mcinnes wastes an extra second trying to pass around Jackson and Hunt is gets tackled on thr last by rushing defence or gets a shit kick away because od the pressure.

The fact that you want to argue this shows how full of bullshit you actually are. Crying about the refs like a little fucking bitch after every game. Just laughable. No wonder other fans hate our fans the most.
Fuaaarrrkkkk keyboard hero hiding behind the screen is getting angry... Better watch out before I get hurt! LMAO

Once again your right and everybody else on the kennel is incorrect.

Can you pass a footy? I have this slight suspicion your allergic to grass but if not its ok, I can teach you how to play one day.

Last edited:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the roster - particularly the backs are near good enough for top 8.I don't believe its time to sack the coach BUT there are some aspects that I think the club needs to acknowledge that they have made mistakes in - pre season prep 1.fitness strength - across the grades second halfs have been generally significantly poorer than first half of games, opposition forwards being able to offload at will 2. Kicking game - not improved - whether attacking kicks, kick offs or drop outs - so far behind other clubs 3. Playing injured or unfit players - Eastwood early on, Priest, Foran. Hopefully they'll learn from it

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
His selections concern me alot. When you keep picking Montoya in the side, Clay Priest over and over, Holland on the bench.

This year is over, next year can't also be an experiment, he needs to try things this year, but not stupid things like he's been doing.
after the lewis situation , I wonder how much his hands are tied with the 30 man squad situation.. I don't know for certain.. does anyone know for sure what the 30 mans squad is ??

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you live in a cave you will note that they have a decent spine.
They have a better spine, BUT the Rabbits team is pretty much the same from previous years besides Gagai and few others. My point is the Rabbits missed out on the finals last few years and Anthony Seibold has turned their game around. Seibold is to be given credit for their rise. He has inherited a squad that has underperformed in previous years. He obviously knows how to coach.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They have a better spine, BUT the Rabbits team is pretty much the same from previous years besides Gagai and few others. My point is the Rabbits missed out on the finals last few years and Anthony Seibold has turned their game around. Seibold is to be given credit for their rise. He has inherited a squad that has underperformed in previous years. He obviously knows how to coach.
He inherited a team with Reynolds and Walker in the halves, Cook and Farah at dummy half and Johnson at fullback, with Inglis as cover if he needs him. There is no comparison between what Siebold and Pay inherited.

Siebold does look like a great coach, but he's got a big headstart on Pay when it comes to talented players.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Who knows..

There was a rumour not all that long ago that Pay was unhappy with a certain Director interfereing with his coaching style.
That very same Director has now appointed himself to the position of Recruitment Manager, and has been the one shopping players from our team around to opposing clubs.

Put 2 and 2 together and that may be part the reason our players and coach isn't happy at the moment.

We (the club) can't keep blaming the past. Almost this exact same squad last year were scoring more points than we are.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
after the lewis situation , I wonder how much his hands are tied with the 30 man squad situation.. I don't know for certain.. does anyone know for sure what the 30 mans squad is ??
The thing I don't get is how can Pay name Lewis on an extended bench if there's no chance he can play. If he wants Lewis training with the squad he can do that without naming him. There must be more to that.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who knows..

There was a rumour not all that long ago that Pay was unhappy with a certain Director interfereing with his coaching style.
That very same Director has now appointed himself to the position of Recruitment Manager, and has been the one shopping players from our team around to opposing clubs.

Put 2 and 2 together and that may be part the reason our players and coach isn't happy at the moment.

We (the club) can't keep blaming the past. Almost this exact same squad last year were scoring more points than we are.
Since when have you started to believe in "rumours"?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do you know what culture he has instilled? Did you see the passion for the boys v Brisbane when they were ripped off? Only those in the inner sanctum know. Do you think he sits there and encourages them to lose. For fuck sake we have been very close with poor halves and on the back of shit refereeing decisions.
Of course I don't think he encourages them to lose. But going by our finishes we seem to be lacking the killer instinct. Some of our best sides didn't always have the most talent, but when a refs call hurt us the team would channel the anger about it into demolishing the team in front of us. What Pay said at the start of the season made me think the team would have that kind of determination and fight. We now go into our shell when these decisions come along instead of living up to his planned aggression. I have watched us play a few teams that we've dominated early in the match who have gotten one good refs call and then played with aggression which makes our team look like they don't want to be there anymore. I think it was against the Raiders that I first stopped expecting to see the dogs of war, when their reserve grade pack tore ours to shreds with simple aggression that we should have been capable of matching. But I've since seen countless games where we could have won but just lost the intensity when things got hard. To me that comes down to mindset and ours isn't that of a winning team right now. I agree that refereeing has screwed us in many matches, but if this happened to teams of the past we'd have finished the games looking like we were trying to put our opponents in hospital. Now we have a habit of getting within reach of winning, but playing like we've got nothing at stake when the tide turns. If we were more resilient we'd have won a number of extra games.

I am not Pro Pay however I'm not on here whinging and carrying on like many who are clearly prejudiced in the way they think and who can't hit the pause button and assess the predicament that the club is in. We have lost a host of games by less that 6 points. We copped bad decisions in the 78th minute in both the South's and Broncos games when we should have won. We played poorly v Canberra and have beaten the team coming equal first. If the last pass sticks v Storm in Perth we are 24 - 22 with a kick to come. Abbo Carr intercepts and runs the length of the field to win. V Rorters game one Faulolo gets ball stripped when we should have scored to stay in the contest. That is what I see.

You hit the nail on the head....ex international's with 2 of them over 31 and one busted. One playing poorly.

Does Pay deserve to be be called a **** like some call him. Dies he deserve the flack? No he doesn't. If he fails in 2 or 3 years then I will pass judgment.

As for Des....you can all call him what you like. He deserves it.
I've seen many incidents that individually contributed to losses too. But turning it around starts with responding well to knowing that we're on the end of dud calls or throwing equal or greater aggression at any team that tries to throw us off by playing hard. We've lacked the spark that gets us playing like it matters. You can't throw the blame for that entirely on Pay, but if things don't change a little as he recruits his own squad the club should scrutinize whether another coach could be firing them up more. I think the recipe for what makes a good coach is a ough one to emulate and Pay hasn't yet worked out that magic balance.

Ivan Cleary, an experienced coach, had almost a full season with the Tigers before this year. He was able to do a fair bit if recruiting to start to build a team he wants. They started well but now struggling. I cant see them making the finals. They have done reasonably well and should end up a bit better than last season. I think this shows the time it takes to turn things around. Dean Pay needs a few seasons to be fairly judged. We lack quality in the spine. Forwards our best asset atm. Backs fairly ordinary apart from the Morris's. He cant bring in players from outside the top 30 so he is restricted in he who can use from ISP. Salary cap issues means we cant be chasing top line players. We need to start with young up and comers who cant get a start at their own clubs, eg Cogger, or players from our own lower grades. I hope we can avoid the wooden spoon. Anything higher would be a plus. We have played well in most games getting beat by a few points by top sides.
If anything I applaud the clubs decision to start chasing players stuck in a bottleneck as soon as they took the reigns. If Cogger ends up developing his talent as the year progresses and does well we might have picked him up before his true asking price became obvious. We will be lacking a bit of balance in how our salary cap is allocated for a while yet, but hopefully in a year or two our policy of giving youngsters a chance will have won us a few quality players who display some loyalty.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who knows..

One key thing is we replaced Reynolds with Foran. Reynolds was THE ONLY spark we had in attack. Now we have none!

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also reluctantly chose option 4. Yes he inherited the squad and yes his first year as coach but should that be a excuse?

Yes we have lost close games but his interchange management has been questionable and his player selections have also had me scratch my head. I’m no coach and no expert but seeing the position we are in and season is basically over why not blood New players give them a few games to get the feel of first grade so next year it’s not such a major shock with a even more younger and inexperienced side.

I believe this year our lack of experience in key positions has cost us a few games either chasing points or defending our lead. Game time is the only solution but pay seems to keep picking the same useless pricks over and over. Mmmmm I guess time will tell but end of next year if we are in the same position I’d really be contemplating axing pay.

DogfanQld

Waterboy
Reaction score
For fucks sake Deano can’t you stop Montoya leaving his man unmarked on the wing !!!
It’s absolute bullshit no coach in the NRL would put up with his shit and ignorance and Holland would outplay him and at least he can kick a bit as well.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No excuses for Pay and he knows he is under the pump. Anthony Seibold inherited his squad as well but is killing it. The rabbits are a new level this year.
Ridiculous comparison, Alex Johnstone, Greg Inglis, Dane Gagai, proper halves, Burgess boys and Damien Cook. Are you for fucking real?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I also reluctantly chose option 4. Yes he inherited the squad and yes his first year as coach but should that be a excuse?

Yes we have lost close games but his interchange management has been questionable and his player selections have also had me scratch my head. I’m no coach and no expert but seeing the position we are in and season is basically over why not blood New players give them a few games to get the feel of first grade so next year it’s not such a major shock with a even more younger and inexperienced side.

I believe this year our lack of experience in key positions has cost us a few games either chasing points or defending our lead. Game time is the only solution but pay seems to keep picking the same useless pricks over and over. Mmmmm I guess time will tell but end of next year if we are in the same position I’d really be contemplating axing pay.
New Bulldogs players in 2018:
Kieran Foran (173 games over 9 seasons for Manly, Parramatta & Warriors
Aaron Woods (146 games over 7 seasons for Tigers)
Jeremy Marshall-King (1 game for Tigers)
Fa'amanu Brown (24 games over 3 seasons with Cronulla)
Rhyse Martin (no first grade prior to this year)
Clay Priest (31 games over 2 seasons with Raiders)
Renouf To'omaga (no first grade prior to this year)
John Olive (only 10 games over 3 seasons for Souths & Titans)

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'd take

You have a PRO opinion about Pay but anyone who disgarees is basically being abused by you ... IF we weren't sitting near dead last maybe your argument would have some substance. He has a squad of late ex internationals and state of origin players, we should not be sitting so close to last place Parramatta.
Of course we should. With our spine we should be running dead last. Parra and the cowboys have been much bigger underachievers.

Getting weary of all this shit talk.... some posters seem to spend the whole lead up to games complaining that our squad sucks then go on to moan about performance when we lose to the top placed side by a couple of points.

We’re not good at the moment, but some fans need to get some perspective. The effort is there, the quality a first grade side needs in its spine is not.

Last edited:

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Who knows..

Do you ever stop pushing your bullshit agenda, you have zero credibility. Stop trying to destabilise our club and be be an actual supporter. I think Pay in his first year as a head coach would welcome someone with Chris Anderson’s experience, I know I feel a whole lot better having him play a part in our recruitment.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Do you ever stop pushing your bullshit agenda, you have zero credibility. Stop trying to destabilise our club and be be an actual supporter. I think Pay in his first year as a head coach would welcome someone with Chris Anderson’s experience, I know I feel a whole lot better having him play a part in our recruitment.
Funny people bought into that things would be sunshine and rainbows and lollipops. The "fun" has just begun.

Are we better now than at the start of the season... NOPE... and to add to that we have a team of players that are unsettled and unhappy as a result of recent actions.

Stick your head in the sand all you like... there are more problems than you'd care to imagine, but taking the blinkered approach will help nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.