Pay brings cult hero Faitala-Mariner out of his shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/04/18...s-cult-hero-faitala-mariner-out-of-his-shell/

The change in Bulldogs back-rower Raymond Faitala-Mariner's form and demeanour this season has been startling, and he credits the faith shown in him by new coach Dean Pay for unlocking his potential.

When NRL.com first interviewed Faitala-Mariner at Belmore shortly after his arrival from New Zealand in 2016, he was polite but seemed intensely shy and softly spoken. He showed promise on the field in his 30 matches over two seasons under Des Hasler but looked like a player who could offer plenty more.

Faitala-Mariner recently told NRL.com he was nervous when he first heard about the coaching change but received a boost at the start of the pre-season when Pay pulled him aside and told him he wanted him to become an 80-minute starting back-rower.

Addressing journalists at a club media session on Tuesday morning, the Samoan international – these days boasting a huge, unmissable mop of hair – was a radically different person to the shy 22-year-old who first fronted the Sydney media in 2016.

Laughing and joking and flashing a beaming smile, Faitala-Mariner praised Pay for bringing his confidence to the fore, simplifying his game, encouraging him to run hard and tackle hard, and clearing his head of outside noise.

"It's been a big step from last year, playing 30 minutes each game, going from 30 minutes to 80 minutes," Faitala-Mariner said.

Leadership group sparks Bulldogs forwards

"I had a big off-season, the coaches did a lot of work on me in the off-season and as a result I lost a bit of weight [from 110 kilos down to 105]."

He admitted he left that meeting with Pay on the first day of training last year feeling flattered the new coach wanted him to play a major role in the new-look side.

Faitala-Mariner refused to blame Hasler for his slow start in blue and white ("Des is a great coach", the back-rower insisted) but said Pay's approach suited him to a tee.

"The difference is that Deano has shown more trust in me which has given me a bit of confidence," he said.

"It's given me confidence as a player to do what I can do on the field. Deano's really simplified my game. All he wants from me is to run hard and tackle hard. I don't have a lot going upstairs in my head!

"Every week he comes up to me and says 'just run hard and tackle hard, that's all I need you to do'. So I say 'oh cheers thanks!'."

Senior Bulldogs forward Greg Eastwood said Faitala-Mariner seemed shy when he arrived but benefitted from some of the other Polynesian players taking him under their wing.

"When he first moved over he was a pretty shy guy. The Polynesian guys got around him and made him feel welcome and now he gives it to everybody!" Eastwood laughed.

"He's definitely come out of his shell which is good. He's sort of one of our leaders now in the team and he's playing great footy."

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The big difference between the two coaches is the one on one interaction. It wasnt performed much previously.
Also, I heard that the guy who organised the forwards meeting was Greg Eastwood. He seems to be a mentor of the poly guys.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
At least he admits hes a bit of a dumb ****

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big difference between the two coaches is the one on one interaction. It wasnt performed much previously.
Also, I heard that the guy who organised the forwards meeting was Greg Eastwood. He seems to be a mentor of the poly guys.
I can imagine Des just bombarding a young player with his stats driven approach. RFM says that Pay gave him a simple task, run hard and tackle hard. That's all he needs to do right now. You can see him growing in confidence. Hope he has a few more really big performances in the next couple of weeks and then he'll really start to believe himself. Funny he says he's lost 5 kgs since last season. I swear he looks significantly bigger this year. Height and body.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Funny he says he's lost 5 kgs since last season. I swear he looks significantly bigger this year. Height and body.
Its the hair lol

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
what? not another fuck des thread.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I love that hair. Best haircut in the NRL, Gaznier
Gaz got a chubby because apparently RFM said Gasnier was his idol / favourite payer as a kid or something like that (the game caller just kept going on about it every time he touched the ball).

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gaz got a chubby because apparently RFM said Gasnier was his idol / favourite payer as a kid or something like that (the game caller just kept going on about it every time he touched the ball).
upload_2018-4-18_10-21-31.png

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
“I don’t have a lot going on upstairs in my head”

Hilarious!!!

Reactions: DT

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
RFM is going from strength to strength.

To think we traded in Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles cult hero Shaun Lane for him.... We've effectively swapped a Rav4 for a Landcruiser Sahara.

“I don’t have a lot going on upstairs in my head” Hilarious!!!
I wonder if he meant... "So I don't have a lot going on upstairs in my head".

In other words "get the simple stuff done well rather than 101 other things during the game".

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup an now we go from being gaz most hated team to talk down to one of his favourites now He was RFMs favourite player as a “kid”
Haha.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
RFM is going from strength to strength.

To think we traded in Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles cult hero Shaun Lane for him.... We've effectively swapped a Rav4 for a Landcruiser Sahara.

I wonder if he meant... "So I don't have a lot going on upstairs in my head".

In other words "get the simple stuff done well rather than 101 other things during the game".
That's exactly what he meant. Des used to pump so much information in their heads, they forgot to play what was infront of them.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yup an now we go from being gaz most hated team to talk down to one of his favourites now He was RFMs favourite player as a “kid”
Haha.
Good tactic...maybe we should do this to Cummins and Sutton. Some of the players should come out in the media and say "they were my favorite refs in junior league when I was growing up"

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The thing with Polynesians whether in sport or business, if you are honest and clear with what you want and give us responsibility but encouragement we will run through brick walls for you (metaphorically speaking)

I would have imagined Des strict school teacher talking in riddles which made RFM afraid to express himself both on and off the field

Pay has come in and immediately put his trust in RFM and as a result RFM repaying it ten times over

Status
Not open for further replies.